Thread: IV Battling

Credits
    Blog Entries

Post IV Battling

I’ve noticed lately that many people—whether new breeders, aspiring battlers, or members checking a Pokémon from the GTS—are confused as to how to check IVs. I hope that this guide will help those of you understand more clearly.

First things first, go to the Pokémon’s Summary page. You need to make sure that there are no EVs—Effort Values gained by battling other Pokémon, either in the wild or from another trainer. These values will increase the stats, so in order to get rid of them, you must feed your Pokémon EV-reducing berries. These are:

#21—Pomeg Berry (HP)
    #22—Kelpsy Berry (Attack)
    #23—Qualot Berry (Defense)
    #24—Hondew Berry (Special Attack)
    #25—Grepa Berry (Special Defense)
    #26—Tamato Berry (Speed)

If the EVs accumulated on the Pokémon in the same stat that the berry reduces are over 100, the EVs will be reduced to 100. Below that, they decrease the EVs by 10 points per berry. Continue to feed the Pokémon berries until it is “full.”
    NOTE: This doesn’t apply to Pokémon you’ve just hatched, since they haven’t battled and have 0 EVs.
    NOTE: Putting a Pokémon in the Day-Care does NOT increase EVs.

Once the EVs are cleared, find a friend that will give you an IV Battle. In this type of “battle,” you merely check your stats and Run from the battle. Step-by-step:
    1. Make sure you both have each other’s Friend Code in your Pal Pad.
    2. With the Pokémon that you’d like to check in the party, enter Wi-Fi and request a Lv. 100 Single Battle. The other player should click on you to accept your request.
    3. The battle will start once the other player has accepted the request. Click “Pokémon” on the Touch Screen and view the stats of the Pokémon that you’d like to check. Obtain the information for HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed for each Pokémon to be checked. I find it easiest to write the stats down in a notebook.
    4. Once you’ve collected all of the stats, select “Run.” The battle will end in a draw.

You’re almost done! Next, make sure you know the Pokémon’s species and Nature. After that, find an IV Calculator on the Internet. I prefer this one from BugCatcher6’s site (it’s similar to the ones on Serebii and Legendary Pokémon, among others). You’ll need the following data:
    - Pokémon’s species (i.e. Wynaut)
    - Pokémon’s Nature (i.e. Bold)
    - Pokémon’s Level (If you just got the stats through an IV Battle as described above, this is Lv. 100.)
    - Pokémon’s stats (as determined in the IV Battle)
    - Pokémon’s EVs (if they still have any—the method above gets rid of them)

Once you’ve filled in the fields, click “Calculate Individual Values.” The IVs will show in the 6 vertical boxes. Below that, you can also see the Hidden Power type and value of the Pokémon.
    NOTE: Other IV Calculators may have different formats.

EDIT: From Deneves
    This method is preferred if you don't necessarily wish to remove all the EVs, but would like an accurate IV reading. Save before you do this. Feed the EV reducing berries until it says that its stat won't go any lower for each stat. Feed it rare candies until it is level 100 or until the stat reading on your IV calculator reads 100%. Plug in the stats into the IV calculator as directed above and then reset the game without saving. Your pokémon should be just the same as before you fed it the berries and rare candies.

And that’s all there is to it! I may add to this guide if necessary; reply with any questions or comments. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Kurt; 11-03-2008 at 10:31 PM.

Credits

that actually sorta helped... I forgot all about the EV decrease that is required- thanks trombones!

Torrent Gym Leader/Head Farmer Array Deneves's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Great thread. I should include the 3rd generation method of feeding your pokémon rare candy until they are level 100. You don't have to get them all the way to level 100, but the closer you get, the more accurate the stats will be.

This method is preferred if you don't necessarily wish to remove all the EVs, but would like an accurate IV reading. Save before you do this. Feed the EV reducing berries until it says that its stat won't go any lower for each stat. Feed it rare candies until it is level 100 or until the stat reading on your IV calculator reads 100%. Plug in the stats into the IV calculator as directed above and then reset the game without saving. Your pokémon should be just the same as before you fed it the berries and rare candies.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Cleon's Avatar
    Credits

Excellent write up there Trombones, i'll find it very useful
    NEW FC: 1504 8651 6229

Credits
    Blog Entries

Thanks, you guys! Dennis, I'll add your note to the first post.

Pokemon Trainer in Waiting Array Annafu's Avatar
    Credits

I'm pretty new to the IV battling, and I really want to check out my pokemon, but I can't figure out how to do an IV battle! D:
    I can't seem to find the option for LV 100 battles. Is that only in the wifi room, or can it be done in the battle colosseum?

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annafu View Post
    I'm pretty new to the IV battling, and I really want to check out my pokemon, but I can't figure out how to do an IV battle! D:
    I can't seem to find the option for LV 100 battles. Is that only in the wifi room, or can it be done in the battle colosseum?
    Only in the Wi-Fi room (basement of a Pokemon Center).

Pokemon Trainer in Waiting Array Annafu's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Trombones13 View Post
    Only in the Wi-Fi room (basement of a Pokemon Center).
    Ok. Thank you so much. :]