Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poké Academy's Battle Tier Discussion

Credits
    Blog Entries

Question Poké Academy's Battle Tier Discussion

I have received a few PMs saying why is this Pokemon not in this tier or that tier. The tiers were created by looking at different sites and putting together the most comment results.

To change any of these takes a lot of testing. PMing me telling me that Pokémon X should be in the OU tier because you think it is awesome and you win with it, is not going to get it moved. PMing me telling me Pokémon U should be moved to the OU tier because it has stats like X, Y, & Z, won't get the Pokémon moved. There are more reasons that a Pokémon gets put into certain tiers then it's stats or coolness. Typing plays a big part, as well as it's move pool. Also you have to look at it's weaknesses and how many Pokémon can take advantage of it.

Let's look at a BL tier Pokémon that is awesome, but not enough to be OU.

Arcanine: HP 90 / ATK 110 / DEF 80 / SP.ATK 100 / SP.DEF 80 / SPD 95

Very good stats, but why would it be BL and not OU?

It has 2 good abilities, Flash Fire and Intimidate, which Intimidate is the better of the 2 for more common battles.

Weakness, Water, Ground, and Rock.

Only 3, but look at them. Stealth Rock will make it hard to switch Arcanine in. Earthquake, heck everyone competitive has atleast 2 Pokémon that uses Earthquake. There are also a lot of bulky Water types that will have little trouble with Arcanine.

Also Arcanine has a very limited move pool. The only big move Arcanine received with the D/P addition was Flare Blitz. It just does not have the coverage that most OU tier Pokémon have. But wait Arcanine has Thunder Fang and can stop his Water weakness. True, but you will most likely see Earthquake anyway, since Arcanine really does not have an attack to counter Ground types.

Credits

Yeah, unless you have HP Grass or Ice, Arcanine will always have limited type coverage and will be easily walled by Swampert.

Pearl:3138 8955 2379
    Platinum: 2236 9523 8918
    Diamond: 1549 7576 0375
    Silver: 5329 3177 5102
    White:
    Black: 4384 4378 6673
    Banner courtesy of BlondinieNZ
    Come adopt a champion bred pokemon.
    Now breeding: Bagon

Putting young whipper snappers into place since 1882. Array belnumcree's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

You could run a special set w/ Sunny Day or Sunny Day support, and Arcanine has access to Solar Beam.
    Extremely ancient and decrepit retired Boulder Gym Leader....Thanks Vis for the new card. *looks at new user title* Stay off my lawn

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by belnumcree View Post
    You could run a special set w/ Sunny Day or Sunny Day support, and Arcanine has access to Solar Beam.
    Well that semi-fixes that problem provided that the sun is out, lol. *plots*

Pearl:3138 8955 2379
    Platinum: 2236 9523 8918
    Diamond: 1549 7576 0375
    Silver: 5329 3177 5102
    White:
    Black: 4384 4378 6673
    Banner courtesy of BlondinieNZ
    Come adopt a champion bred pokemon.
    Now breeding: Bagon

Credits
    Blog Entries

With Arcanine fainting on the turn he uses Sunny Day? To survive most water attacks Arcanine would need to EV HP, DEF, & SP.DEF. So that would let his ATK, SP.ATK, and SPD hurting. Arcanine could be a defensive or an attacker, both I don't think would be in a battle for very long.

Or a berry to weaken damage.

A lot of people think of Arcanine as an OU just because of the lack of good sweeping fire types. It really should be BL, as its movepool is very limited, among other problems.
    Join my team, Bum Rush!
    Because it beats joining the army.

Watch It. Also, ban Luvdisc forever!

Putting young whipper snappers into place since 1882. Array belnumcree's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    With Arcanine fainting on the turn he uses Sunny Day? To survive most water attacks Arcanine would need to EV HP, DEF, & SP.DEF. So that would let his ATK, SP.ATK, and SPD hurting. Arcanine could be a defensive or an attacker, both I don't think would be in a battle for very long.

Or a berry to weaken damage.
    That's why I said w/ support. I don't think I'd attempt to Sunny Day with a Surf coming. lol You can carry it on him and if your in against something that can't take Arcanine, Sunny day on the switch.

BTW does anyone know how much Sunny Day weakens Water?

Quote Originally Posted by Death By Bronzong View Post
    A lot of people think of Arcanine as an OU just because of the lack of good sweeping fire types. It really should be BL, as its movepool is very limited, among other problems.
    It's BL everywhere I've seen it.
    Extremely ancient and decrepit retired Boulder Gym Leader....Thanks Vis for the new card. *looks at new user title* Stay off my lawn

Credits
    Blog Entries

BTW does anyone know how much Sunny Day weakens Water?
    Water Type move's Base Power is decreased by 50%

It's BL everywhere I've seen it.
    That's because the lot of people aren't the ones who make tier lists. I was referring more to the people who are PMing Buzz telling him to put certain pokemon (such as Arcanine) in OU.
    Join my team, Bum Rush!
    Because it beats joining the army.

Watch It. Also, ban Luvdisc forever!

Credits
    Blog Entries

Well I don't want to single anyone out, but I will post the Pokémon they said should be OU instead of BL.

It was Umbreon and the reason was because he has I forget the stats but high HP, DEF, and SP.DEF.

Umbreon is awesome, but the game is attack heavy anymore and Umbreon cannot take the beating that Blissey, Skarmory, or Snorlax can take.