Page 55 of 107 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiny Therapy (lol XD)

Mad as a Hatter Array
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsMetsFan View Post
    Well, right after the Phanpy chain snapped, I went to chain yesterday's swarm of the day - Krabby - on Route 226. That chain, unlike the Phanpy one, didn't crack double digits. I retried a couple more times before I gave up.

Since I was in the general area, and since I had my Magnezone with me, I went to the adjacent Route 227 and tried to chain Skarmory, a Steel-type Poke with a 5% encounter rate. I knew that coming in, which is why I thought that a Skarmory chain would be the second-hardest (behind only Elekid for reasons previously mentioned) of my "future chains" - Static or Magnet Pull-affected Pokes that I want to chain someday. It initially seemed that my thought would match reality as that chain broke in the mid-teens. So, as a last resort, I went further north to Stark Mountain and tried chaining Skarmory there.

That must've done the trick.

On Stark Mountain, the Skarmory couldn't resist Magnezone's Magnet Pull; they came out in droves, and the chain length reflected that. It wasn't long until I had 40 in the bank. The shinies, though, were slow to come; it took me two hours of resets to get the first and 17 hours of off-and-on resetting to get up to four. From the fourth on, though, they came out in droves as well; one reset produced two shiny patches! I ended up with 10 shinies (new personal record) before the chain finally broke at 65 (also a new personal record; I resumed normal chaining after the 10th shiny {50}).

One thing I didn't count on was Skarmory's low catch rate. I realized it when I tried to catch the first one with an Ultra Ball after just paralyzing it with Thunder Wave, and the ball didn't shake once before it failed. A subsequent search on Serebii revealed the rate to be an ultra-low 25. Fortunately one of my Pachirisu in the party knew Super Fang and I had a lot of Dusk Balls, Ultra Balls, and Max Elixirs (the latter two thanks to Pickup) - otherwise, I would've been in trouble. As an aside, I later discovered that Skarmory's catch rate is second-lowest only to Beldum (3) among chainable Pokes according to Bulbapedia.

I have a ton of Repels and a fair amount of in-game cash too, but I'm a penny-pincher by nature.

Way to go! Krabby is swarming for me today so I might try to get a few. Try not to do too much evil with your band of shiny Skarmory.
    ~~Lovely Strife~~
    Even a strife can be lovely....
    So touch my tears with your lips, touch my world with your finger tips ~~ Queen
    Currently Catching: Over 300 pink blobs adopted to loving homes!
    Current Event:
    Next Project:
    Wanna read my diary?

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Okapi's Avatar
    Credits

I like shiny skarmory...

I never have any luck chaining, even still. I was chaining shinx, and the twenty-first was literally evading me; all of the patches were too close or different from the original, and I burned forty max repels (I know, not efficient, but I don't mind running extra 1337-4 runs) only to finally find a good one, that turned out to be bidoof.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array TwinsMetsFan's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by LovelyStrife View Post
    Try not to do too much evil with your band of shiny Skarmory.
    Mwahaha...it'll be tough, but I'll try not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    I never have any luck chaining, even still. I was chaining shinx, and the twenty-first was literally evading me; all of the patches were too close or different from the original, and I burned forty max repels (I know, not efficient, but I don't mind running extra 1337-4 runs) only to finally find a good one, that turned out to be bidoof.
    I've been there before, for sure. That's how my Phanpy chain snapped - I went into a patch that looked good and, poof, Geodude popped up. For me, 32 is the evil number when it comes to swarming Pokes - I've gotten two to 31 but none past that number.
    Currently trading: Jolly Nincada. All of the Nincada have at least one stat with an IV of 31; many have multiple. PM me if you would like one.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Okapi's Avatar
    Credits

Oh, my god. 32 is... 23 backwards!!

Credits

Heh, I finally got Magnemite as my swarm today. Time for a spontaneous chaining session... I was going to take a few days off after the huge haul of Skarmory, but when swarming Electric/Steel-type Pokes call, I answer.

(Note to those that have trades pending with me: I have traded the Pokes over to Pearl, so I'm still available to trade during the chain.)
    Currently trading: Jolly Nincada. All of the Nincada have at least one stat with an IV of 31; many have multiple. PM me if you would like one.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array firemaster's Avatar
    Credits

Congrats to those who caught shineys and good luck to those working. I will be working at chains tomorrow. So good luck to me too!

^My Small but Mighty team on Diamond. ^Thanks to Jolteon Forever for my fan fic link!
    Yay! I'm not the only one that highlights sigs for fun!
    Yes, that is a grey Vulpix. Cute, huh?

Credits

Today/yesterday just wasn't my day. I tried to chain Magnemite five times - all five chains broke before they reached 30. The last of the five - the most "successful" of them - went to 28 and went past midnight before it snapped, thus no chance to start over.

Contrary to what I had originally expected, the Aron that are also present at the Ironworks did not interfere with my chains at all - the five breaks were by two Shinx, a Luxio, a Pachirisu, and a Gastrodon. I read somewhere that Poké Radar Pokes only show up in flashing patches, and today leads me to believe that. The reasoning: I was using Magnezone (Magnet Pull), so if Aron could appear in normal patches, then I would be bound to find at least one during the day.

Bottom line: no shiny Magnemite from chaining, but I did trade my last available shiny Shinx for a shiny Magnemite earlier in the day, so I suppose it all works out.

Mad as a Hatter Array
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsMetsFan View Post
    Today/yesterday just wasn't my day. I tried to chain Magnemite five times - all five chains broke before they reached 30. The last of the five - the most "successful" of them - went to 28 and went past midnight before it snapped, thus no chance to start over.

Contrary to what I had originally expected, the Aron that are also present at the Ironworks did not interfere with my chains at all - the five breaks were by two Shinx, a Luxio, a Pachirisu, and a Gastrodon. I read somewhere that Poké Radar Pokes only show up in flashing patches, and today leads me to believe that. The reasoning: I was using Magnezone (Magnet Pull), so if Aron could appear in normal patches, then I would be bound to find at least one during the day.

Bottom line: no shiny Magnemite from chaining, but I did trade my last available shiny Shinx for a shiny Magnemite earlier in the day, so I suppose it all works out.
    When I chained Magnemite I mainly did it to get a few metal coats. Usually when I chain for something other than getting a shiny is when I have the best luck. lol Eevee and Pidgey being the only exceptions to this rule in my experience.

Lets see.... OMG Magnemite are swarming for me again today! I will totally get more metal coats from this. *Flies on her magestic Tropius to chain magnets*
    ~~Lovely Strife~~
    Current Event:
    Next Project:
    Wanna read my diary?

Credits
    Blog Entries

Hey guys, it's me. xD Listen, I have a HUGE project coming up related to shinies that I need help with. So if you're a pro chainer and want the 411, drop me a PM.
    It's been great, PokeFarm. I'll miss you. I'm on AIM if you ever need me. =)

This line is for Shiny Lucario. ~ ~
    >This line is for belnumcree.
    >>This line is for WestCoastNinja.
    >>>This line is for cisco.
    >>>>This line is for joinred1127.
    >>>>>This line is for razorbeam.
    >>>>>>This line is for Babael and Paws_Of_Fate.
    >>>>>>>This line is for Cherkat, nana nettie, Viscosity, HMTKSteve, and toys4life. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>> This line is for Death By Bronzong, Fautor Animus, and puffdaddy. ♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>This line is for timmyeatsfood, pokemasterSD, Trombones13, pikaluva13, and Taurosdude15. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>This line is for juaco, nagib_253, Achates, noodleboy1011, and DescipleOfDeathx. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>This line is for all my AC:WW friends in PokeFarm, specifically plusletrainer and nickgamer10. ♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>>This line is for the rest of my friends here in PokeFarm, you know who you are.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>celph77, wherever you went... This line's for you. ♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Same with you, andyc15 and soccergurl22.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gamegeezer, I'll see you on Voice Chat like usual. XD

Mad as a Hatter Array
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Well, I had some down time when I was out and about town today and I did some chaining for items. The super-secret-mega-ultra chain is up to 9 thus far. I've used about 300 repels and I had my first back to back shiny patches! I was so surprised and happy. I never had that before and it's just neat to have all these different things.

For now I'll keep the species secret. I might do something evil when them if I get a few more.
    ~~Lovely Strife~~
    Current Event:
    Next Project:
    Wanna read my diary?

Page 55 of 107 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast