Thread: Increase Activity Idea Thread

Credits
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Increase Activity Idea Thread

Oh no Buzz is going to rant again. Relax I am going to try and be mild.

It seems activity is slowing down. I understand that we are getting close to the end of some school terms, so that is going to be a nightmare for some.

Now points to be made.

I have had 4 different challenges at the Valor Gym, and they have all earned the badge, so I am sitting here moving furniture to keep the gym fresh.

I don't want to have a shiny badge added to get people to come back and battle me again, so how can we get new trainers and old trainers back at the gym? I am going to have special days where anyone that challenges and wins can select a prize. Any other ideas?

Getting new trainers here is a constant struggle. I mean most have pokefarm.com on their profile for people to see on the PSS. I wish we could attach mail to Pokémon so we can get info out to come to pokefarm. Other forums don't like you mentioning another forum on their forum.

Tournaments. I like to battle. I like the way it gets my mind working. The feeling you get when you research and put teams together and then watch that plan unfold into victory, such a rush.

It was brought up about rental tournaments. Kurt and Killerjeff brought up that if farmers would breed Pokémon one month and the next month a tournament would be held using those Pokémon, more people might battle in the tournament.

So I wanted to have a Spring Classic tournament next month with only Grass type Pokémon. I can change the date from the 9th, 10th, and 11th to maybe the end of the month, say the 30th, 31st, and the 1st of May.

If every farmer would breed Grass types, we could keep track of who is breeding what and by the time for the tournament everyone could use Pokémon they have collected, and bred themself, to participate in the tournament.

I would be able to setup a tournament list per month and what the requirements are for farmers and battlers to prepare early.

Anyone else have ideas? I know we had a lot more battlers then what we are seeing in the gyms and in tournament attempts. I know time is a factor for most.

Credits
    Blog Entries

I've always liked the idea of optional farming themes like the Grass-based theme; whether or not that's tied into tournaments is irrelevant to me, but I think it's a good tie-in.

No suggestions here yet on Gym activity since I haven't been involved yet - maybe I'll have some ideas once I EV train and get to battling.

Most of my momentum on updating the site has been diminished by the fact that I can't easily update things without being able to access vBulletin.com/.org code. If it were up to me, we'd switch to XenForo software, which is cheaper, faster, and more modern, but that's a separate discussion.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I've always liked the idea of optional farming themes like the Grass-based theme; whether or not that's tied into tournaments is irrelevant to me, but I think it's a good tie-in.

No suggestions here yet on Gym activity since I haven't been involved yet - maybe I'll have some ideas once I EV train and get to battling.

Most of my momentum on updating the site has been diminished by the fact that I can't easily update things without being able to access vBulletin.com/.org code. If it were up to me, we'd switch to XenForo software, which is cheaper, faster, and more modern, but that's a separate discussion.

Oh I am just figuring out everything for forum format.

I know with the forum I was working on they have systems for titles, which is set by home many post, like 100, 500, and 1,000, days active, and so on.

I know the activity is low. I am not asking for a badge or title for everything. Forum supported tournaments, 1 a month would be 12 new badges, or we could use old badges and if we are only giving that badge out once a year, that is a reason to stick around for a chance to add to your collection.

I'm stuck with doing everything from the Academy section. The battle section itself is really neglected. The PokéFarm Colosseum and Pokémon League, Gyms and Tournament sections could all be added together. I'm not saying I should be given more creativity.

I'm not sure how before we had the gyms and tournaments, everyone was wanting gyms and more battling, but now everyone is really busy haha.

Do we really need to do more battles on Showdown? Is the PokéFarm server for Showdown fixed? Is the issue with the PokéFarm server known?

When you look for a battle you receive this error.

Your team was rejected for the following reasons:- Your team was invalid and could not be parsed.

It is nice for some real time talking though.

Credits
    Blog Entries

I'm aware of the Showdown issue but don't know the cause (other than the likelihood that it was my doing when attempting to add the custom Spawn Pokémon).

Circuit Gym Assistant Array Killerjeff88's Avatar
    Credits

Personally, as much i love breeding/battling, I feel some people don't favor them.
    They just like collecting shiny and filling up pokedex.
    So not only focusing on breeding/battling, we need to focus on collection based activities too

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Ryan493's Avatar
    Credits

I think a monthly tournament could be a great thing to add to the 'Farm.
    I was thinking of writing out a story for each one, detailing everyone's battles as they would happen (more like in the anime, with more dodging and real-time fighting) but getting that done each month would be a pain. Maybe I'll just start a new story on here to spark some interest in the FanFiction section again.
    (Lookin' at you, TheNinjaPhoenix xD)

Pokemon Trainer Student Array TheNinjaPhoenix's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan493 View Post
    I think a monthly tournament could be a great thing to add to the 'Farm.
    I was thinking of writing out a story for each one, detailing everyone's battles as they would happen (more like in the anime, with more dodging and real-time fighting) but getting that done each month would be a pain. Maybe I'll just start a new story on here to spark some interest in the FanFiction section again.
    (Lookin' at you, TheNinjaPhoenix xD)
    A monthly tournament seems like a fun way to get the gears set in motion. Stories depicting them just make it all the more fun, especially if you CAN capture the anime edge, but I agree it would be a pain, not only as it would be beach month, but there would be a fair few battles and a single one would take time to commit to.

In terms of getting the Fanfic/Art section up and running again, I've already posted a one-shot recently, and I've got an idea in the works I can put up if people are interested. Furthermore, I need some decent art practice and have my own style of Spawn Project going on in the background, except it's more focussed on a region than a competitive battling scene. It may be larger and more in-depth in ways, but in reality it's me experimenting with Pokemon ideas before working on my own battle-system for an RPG I may be developing for my second and third year Extended Creative Projects at university.

So yeah, I'm all up for setting up some kind of Pokefarm Creative Development. Viva Revolution!
    This is a signature. Ha.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheNinjaPhoenix View Post
    A monthly tournament seems like a fun way to get the gears set in motion. Stories depicting them just make it all the more fun, especially if you CAN capture the anime edge, but I agree it would be a pain, not only as it would be beach month, but there would be a fair few battles and a single one would take time to commit to.

In terms of getting the Fanfic/Art section up and running again, I've already posted a one-shot recently, and I've got an idea in the works I can put up if people are interested. Furthermore, I need some decent art practice and have my own style of Spawn Project going on in the background, except it's more focussed on a region than a competitive battling scene. It may be larger and more in-depth in ways, but in reality it's me experimenting with Pokemon ideas before working on my own battle-system for an RPG I may be developing for my second and third year Extended Creative Projects at university.

So yeah, I'm all up for setting up some kind of Pokefarm Creative Development. Viva Revolution!

That is some great feedback. I understand everyone has a life outside of PokéFarm, however PokéFarm gives you a great area to post things like your fanfic and art.

I really want to see the forum back to what it was. I know a lot of our key members are missing, but others have the room to step up now.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array TheNinjaPhoenix's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    That is some great feedback. I understand everyone has a life outside of PokéFarm, however PokéFarm gives you a great area to post things like your fanfic and art.

I really want to see the forum back to what it was. I know a lot of our key members are missing, but others have the room to step up now.
    From early July, I'll have moved into my own place and should have consistent wifi, so I'll be able to start up ith farming and battling regularly, and as it will be summer, I'll be working more on my fanfic/art and original works.

If we're looking for some members to step forward and take the reins in kickstarting the Farm's growth, I'm happy to be one of those members - I still think the Farm can recover well, so I'm happy to do as much as I can to give it a push in the right direction.
    This is a signature. Ha.