Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Masuda Method (MM)

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Donnie boy's Avatar
    Credits

Default The Masuda Method (MM)

(Apologies if this is in the wrong section, or has been discussed elsewhere on the forum)

The Masuda Method for those who have never encountered the term http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method

Okay, Ive been using the Masuda Method for a few months now in pokemon x, and have had mixed results. The first two times I attempted it I got Lucky and I produced the desired shinies after several hundred eggs each. However the last two attempts have failed to produce one. Now the Masuda Method isn't a guarantee you will produce a shiny pokemon, it is simply a method that improves your odds of producing a shiny. I am currently MMing to produce either a flawless or 5iv shiny Zorua, I have hatched what must be by now over 1000 eggs and still have not hatched my shiny. Bad Luck? Or am I doing somthing wrong?

The first parents I used were a male 5 iv Mawile with a japanese tag and a flawless female zorua from my game with no tag (by the way location is Ireland and language is English) it failed to produce a shiny and also a lot of the hatched children were missing my desired iv (sp.atk) due to Mawile lacking it.

I changed tact and approached Deneves here on the Forum. (Deneves correct me here if any of this info is wrong ) who has copies of pokemon, X and Y. Both of his copies are North American game cartridges but one of them is currently being played in spanish. Thus pokemon hatched in his spanish language game are being born with spanish tags. I traded Deneves my flawless male and female Zorua pair to his spanish game so he could hatch me a male flawless zorua with a spanish tag so that I could retry the Masuda method with flawless parents this time. One spanish one English.

Heres where things get more complicated Am i using Masuda Method correctly? Is Deneves spanish Zorua considered a foreign pokemon? Is the Masuda method being activated for me? I have researched online and I havent been able to find any definitive answers on this. I have heard people say that Masuda Method won't work if a pokemon from English speaking nations are used for Masuda method eg: Irish Zorua and American Zorua as both nations speak English, however some say it isn't language that triggers Masuda method but the original trainers location. If the latter is true then can English speaking nations freely use Masuda Method with each others pokemon? If thats the case then the spanish tag is irrelevant as Deneves zorua is considered foreign as its from the united states, but does this mean Deneves trading an american spanish zorua to his american english game wont trigger MM as they are both technically american pokemon. (My Heads about to explode i hope this all is making sense xD )

So the question here is, what constitutes a foreign pokemon for use in Masuda Method? Location or Language? Both? Can Masuda Method be manipulated by changing your location and Language and creating an artificial foreign pokemon, or is region lock within the cartridge or somthing else the deciding factor?

Have people here tested this? Have you found information online about any of this? I hope everyone on the Forum who uses MM can offer up their opinions.
    Trainer name: Donny
    Switch friend code: SW-2164-3125-4438
    Pokémon Home friend code: ZVESWASXFWAJ

Credits
    Blog Entries

It is actually the Region, but with no official word from Nintendo there is no actual way to test to see if changing your location and language on your 3DS effects the Masuda Method.

I can put it in that my 3DS is a Japanese 3DS and my game in the Japanese Language, but the Region for the game card and my 3DS is still technically a North American game and 3DS.

If that makes sense.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Donnie boy's Avatar
    Credits

Hmmm, so does that mean theoretically that only three regions exist for Masuda Method, Jap/ Eu/ Na. If thats right my pokemon won't masuda method with french/ spanish/italian tagged pokemon as all European cartridges are Eu/ pal but it means English speaking Europeans and Americans can Masuda method with each other, meaning the tags are kind of inaccurate.

As you said Buzz you could distribute japanese tagged dittos from your North American 3DS but any North American receiving those dittos and trying MM would be completely unaware that MM isn't actually activated. One of my failed MMs was a vulpix which I was breeding with a spanish parent (from Spain) maybe thats why it failed as both were Eu carts and considered the same region.
    Trainer name: Donny
    Switch friend code: SW-2164-3125-4438
    Pokémon Home friend code: ZVESWASXFWAJ

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Even with MM, the odds are still in favor of the non-shiny hatchling.
    In Gen V, I hatched over 2000 skorupi eggs and gave up before I ever saw that cherry-red bug - even with 1/1000ish odds of hatching a shiny, that still means that it's 999/1000 chance of not being shiny.

It's another dice-roll situation - roll a D6 6 times, and there are 36 ways it could turn out.

Until I know for certain otherwise, I'll continue to operate under the assumption that non-English tags will work on/for MM candidates.
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie boy View Post
    Hmmm, so does that mean theoretically that only three regions exist for Masuda Method, Jap/ Eu/ Na. If thats right my pokemon won't masuda method with french/ spanish/italian tagged pokemon as all European cartridges are Eu/ pal but it means English speaking Europeans and Americans can Masuda method with each other, meaning the tags are kind of inaccurate.

As you said Buzz you could distribute japanese tagged dittos from your North American 3DS but any North American receiving those dittos and trying MM would be completely unaware that MM isn't actually activated. One of my failed MMs was a vulpix which I was breeding with a spanish parent (from Spain) maybe thats why it failed as both were Eu carts and considered the same region.
    I believe if you see a foreign tag on a Pokémon then it counts, There are 7 Regions total, English, French, German, Italian, Japan, Korean, and Spanish.

Like I said without Nintendo saying for sure about changing your 3DS stats or games language, there is no real way to test because shiny Pokémon are so random that you cannot say for certain if or when it is part of the Masuda Method.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Darkrai13's Avatar
    Credits

There really would be no reason for a tag otherwise I think. :/ Bad luck is really all there is to say. Try filling up 1-6 boxes off eggs at a time and hatching the eggs in Lumios Centrico Plaza. It creates the illusion that it's getting done faster. At least for me anyways.

Any way you do it it'll still be completely random. These are my Masuda experiences:

B/W:
    Poliwag - 1,500+ eggs - No Shiny

X/Y:
    Froakie - 23 eggs - shiny
    Totodile - 210 eggs - shiny
    Drifloon - 1,000+ eggs - shiny
    Piplup - 70 eggs - shiny

There really is no rhyme or reason to getting a shiny. The only advice I can give is keep going and it'll happen.

Credits
    Blog Entries

I have
    HG/SS
    Swablu - 90 eggs

B/W
    Dratini - 120 Eggs

X/Y
    Flabébé - 10 eggs - Before Shiny Charm
    Litwick - 34 eggs - Before Shiny Charm
    Litwick - 36 eggs - After Shiny Charm
    Scyther - 70 eggs - After Shiny Charm

Flabébé and the first Litwick were the only 2 with the Masuda Method.

I think the game is completely out of sync with giving a shiny Pokémon. I just wish I would get my shiny in the last round of breeding. Like now I am doing a last round I hope for Klefki and a shiny would be awesome this round for a chance to have 5x31 IVs.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Has anyone tried playing their game in another language and seeing if that adds the foreign tag? For a more concrete example, I'm thinking about downloading X and playing it in French - if I breed something from X, will it be considered French (based on the language) or English (based on the 3DS's location)?

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Has anyone tried playing their game in another language and seeing if that adds the foreign tag? For a more concrete example, I'm thinking about downloading X and playing it in French - if I breed something from X, will it be considered French (based on the language) or English (based on the 3DS's location)?
    There is really no way to test this. Being that a shiny always seems random instead of the % that is stated. I had 2 in 70 eggs and 1 in 5,000, and 1 in 4 generations and 6 in Gen 6.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    There is really no way to test this. Being that a shiny always seems random instead of the % that is stated. I had 2 in 70 eggs and 1 in 5,000, and 1 in 4 generations and 6 in Gen 6.
    Wouldn't you just need to test whether or not the foreign tag showed up when you traded?