Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VGC and GBU

Credits
    Blog Entries

Default VGC and GBU

Just curious if anyone has done a VGC tournament or any of the GBU tournaments?

I have been wanting to get into more battling with the GBL.

I am not sure what type of team to build, so if anyone would have suggestions on a beginning team, I am all ears.

Which I understandw ith the GBU you can select your battle style, so single would be more my style. Although VGC are double battles, so I should get to practicing.

Open to all ideas here.

EDIT:
    Also curious about Snow Warning or Sand Veil. Like on Smogon Snow Warning and Sand Veil are banned, never saw a rule about those abilities being banned anywhere in the VGC. Do you think that would be a jerk tactic? I like my annoying teams, which I have had teams use Sand-Attack, SmokeScreen, Flash, and Mud-Slap in battle. Which I was called a loser for using a Pain Split / SmokeScreen Spiritomb in battle over at Smogon.

I know moves like Minimize and Double Team are not allowed and are a little cheap in use, but Sand-Attack can be countered by switching out.
    Last edited by BugCatcher6; 02-28-2013 at 03:27 AM.

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

The VGC tournaments I've attended were 4v4 Doubles.

Unova only both times, which I didn't know to begin with so I was at a huge disadvantage. My whole team had been non-Unova, and then I couldn't use them.
    I ended up using a few random team members and untouched randoms from the PC. Let's just say I was lucky to win the match I did.

VGC tournaments don't even have a sleep clause.
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

PokeFarm Blogger Array pokemonpal7's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Well, I've been to two VGCs, the 2010 and 12. You can do a lot of things in them, except use legendaries, which this site doesn't do anyway. Anyway, it is 4v4 doubles with a 50 cap, which makes for good prediction and bluffing, especially since you can talk to your opponent, who is sat across from you. While Item Clause and Species clause are in effect, this is fine because you can get variety. You should always carry a F.E.A.R counter, as some people like to use that strategy in VGC. I recommend all full-on attack, as stalling doesn't work in VGC. It's a fast-paced metagame. Forget Blissey, Ferrothorn and Jellicent, bring in Scizor, Slaking and a Skill-swapper. Slaking mixed with a skill-swapper is extraordinary if it works right. I like Gallade, as it can use Skill Swap, then continue to attack if it doesn't get defeated. However, the accuracy abilities are nice, especially T-Tar and Garchomp together. Abomasnow is okay, but sand teams go really well when it's T-Tar, Garchomp, Excadrill and Scizor. Btw, they banned legendaries because that's all the 2010 VGCs were. The final came down to Kyogre and Mewtwo vs. Kyogre and Mewtwo, although they might un-ban them in 2013, so that's a good duo. That's all for now.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Yeah only select Legendaries are banned. I was more worried about tactics, I know Smogon has banned certain items, like Bright Powder in the past because it is considered a luck item and not skill. I always figured if you are willing to risk power or healing for a potential miss, luck or not it figures into the strategy.

I just can't seem to figure out a team. I don't loading up on Legendaries that I know others will have or even Pokés that I know all teams will have. Like if the top 6 Pokémon are on 35% of teams, that is pretty boring.

Credits
    Blog Entries

So I am entered in the upcoming 2013 International Challenge on PGL. I noticed my team is very outdated. I have not really bred any Pokémon since Black and White came out, for battle purposes anyway.

Just looking at some ideas, for the 4vs4 double matches. Do moves like Stealth Rock or any other entry hazard get any use during a double battle? I would think weather teams would still work, although I would also guess Rain Dance teams are more likely.

Any thoughts? I have to look into legendary Pokémon as well. I know most are ban from play, but I truly never worry about nature or IVs when collecting my Legends in game. I never used them in a battle.

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Doubles matches are pretty fast, so entry hazards don't get used often (if at all).
    Focus ends up being on offense/synergy.
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sorgatani View Post
    Doubles matches are pretty fast, so entry hazards don't get used often (if at all).
    Focus ends up being on offense/synergy.
    I saw like most teams have Cresselia is used a lot for defense. Also Ttar and Garchomp are teamed together a lot. I know rain dance was mentioned a lot, as well as a good steel type. So everything I read is all over the place haha.

Torrent Gym Leader/Head Farmer Array Deneves's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    I saw like most teams have Cresselia is used a lot for defense. Also Ttar and Garchomp are teamed together a lot. I know rain dance was mentioned a lot, as well as a good steel type. So everything I read is all over the place haha.
    Cresselia is made for these kind of matches. It can set up Light Screen and/or Reflect and Icy Wind which isn't much of a singles match move is great in doubles as it lowers both opponent's speed each time it hits.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deneves View Post
    Cresselia is made for these kind of matches. It can set up Light Screen and/or Reflect and Icy Wind which isn't much of a singles match move is great in doubles as it lowers both opponent's speed each time it hits.
    I am looking to find something different. I know like every team I see is identical, like the stats for usage the top 6 Pokémon have a usage of over 24%, which is like each of them are almost going to be on a team. Cresselia is like a 36% usage.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array TheNinjaPhoenix's Avatar
    Credits

Hm. The only problem with not using the top-end selected Pokémon is that you are going to be at a huge disadvantage.

With the way the metagame works, if you go into a VGC with a team of
    Pokémon that are rarely seen, it may be a surprise, and you may catch some people off guard; it isnt what they're expecting.

Yet surely there is a reason the top ones are seen everywhere?

This is because they THRASH most things that aren't in the top percentage. If you're going to enter with a team that aren't seen that often, you either need to balance them perfectly to counter the top of the top, and hope you see them the most, or really try to figure how they can match up against the general overall favourites.

Otherwise, you may as well be asking for a serious disadvantage; the top
    Pokémon selections are the top picks for a reason.

It's reasons like this Youngster Joey doesn't see his Rattata make the top percentage.
    This is a signature. Ha.