Thread: Leagues and tournaments

Credits
    Blog Entries

Default Leagues and tournaments

I know we have the Winter's mightiest thread with discussions going on, but I would like to set up another discussion.

I believe the seasonal tournaments are going to be in the baby battle style, level 1 battles.

I was wanting to setup a league style battle season and I would prefer a Little Cup style, level 5 6vs6 battles.

I am also open to the Baby Battle format of level 1 6vs6, but I feel the Little Cup offers more strategy into the mix. I know trainer up to level 5 is a skill within itself. Although B2/W2 has made this easier.

Anyone interested please let me and discuss which format you prefer.

Credits
    Blog Entries

This could be interesting, having a level 5 battling option does sound attractive. It'd be cool to see how different the two low-level formats play too. Basically, I'm all for it!

Credits
    Blog Entries

The only difference is EVs play a bigger part. Like in a level 1 battle Abra and say Houndour could both have a 7 in SP.ATK, but at level 5 with EVs Abra's base 105 SP.ATK is going to pack more punch then Houndour's base 8- SP.ATK.

Which also EVs will be figured differently, since at level 5 only so many EVs would be effective. I believe for most it is like 120 EVs to get the most out of a select stat, if the stat ends with a certain number.

At level 5 items can be used, at level 1 items could really make things unfair. Like an HP berry, 10 HP would be huge to recover at level 1.

Abilities make a difference also.

However Moody will be completely BANNED. Even a Moody Bidoof can be a monster, even in regular META battles. Smogon has already BANNED Moody from even UBER battles. Substitute and Protect can cause huge numbers and allow for a single Moody Pokémon steamroll a team.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Yep, and the stat distribution is very different at level 5 compared to 1, so there's a larger spread in stats (especially important for speed). This guide is useful. Will we be implementing all the Smogon LC bans, or will we be doing our own testing?

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bobreeder View Post
    Yep, and the stat distribution is very different at level 5 compared to 1, so there's a larger spread in stats (especially important for speed). This guide is useful. Will we be implementing all the Smogon LC bans, or will we be doing our own testing?
    I use that guide myself, but was trying to keep it secret he-he.

I have a lot of things planned out, just waiting to see interest level and go from there.

I think it would be best to start with the Smogon tier and banns, but do studies on everything.

One thing the tier authority did on this site was go by Smogon's say so and members opinions.

One thing you have to remember is that Smogon is based off of a simulator. Every Pokémon is 31/31/31/31/31/31 IVs and perfectly EV'd. There is very little variation in moves or strategy.

With PokéFarm, our Pokémon are not IV perfection. EV training is not click and done. Strategy is different then what is wrote up on Smogon.

I think we have huge potential to build our own world here. Separate us from Smogon ideals.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Agreed. I don't know how we would do studies on the banned Pokemon though, perhaps have a periodic tourney where everyone could choose x (1-2) banned Pokemon on their team, and then gather opinions based on that? Like a re-evaluation of sorts? It'd be nice to see some of your plans, if you don't mind. I'm definitely interested in this.

Credits
    Blog Entries

What we would do is similar to Smogon. We could keep track of Pokémon used, since the game now allows for you to see your opponents team before a battle, we could ask people to report teams, not strategy or move-set, just usage. Each month we could take a look at select Pokémon and if it is a current banned Pokémon, we could see how it is used and how people react to any team using that Pokémon.

I am working on ideas for prizes and such for helpers of this project. I am planning on making this part of the Poké Academy, since I do have mini-mod powers there to organize things.

PokeFarm Blogger Array pokemonpal7's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I'd be willing to help in any way, and the 'creating our own meta game' bit sounds great in my opinion.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Do we only have like 5 people interested in battling?

I was so excited to get started on battling, but that quickly faded. I have the feeling that I am getting overly excited. I have been working on tournament ideas and trying to figure out new teams, but it feels like it is for nothing.