Thread: North and South of Johto

Credits
    Blog Entries

Default North and South of Johto

Prologue - Compass Rose

I stepped out of the front door into the morning air. I looked around. Still quite dark; perhaps too early. This is where I grew up. My entire story was etched into the ground. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with cold air. "Blackthorn City".

A gust of icy air was howled out of the Ice Cave beside me. I had always told my mom that it was a dumb idea to build the house on this spot. 'But just think how warm everywhere else will be after freezing off in this house,' she would always say. I guess today, I would finally get to test this theory of hers. Today, I was finally going to be leaving Blackthorn City, the final destination, the 'hot spot' for trainers of exceptional skill, the 'Big Cheese'.

But of course, one must not forget the rare pokemon that one can find here. Pokemon of a dragon sort were quite exclusive to this lovely town of Blackthorn. The town had embraced this gift which had been bestowed upon them. The Dragon Den had been a piece of our town's ancient history where it was said that our ancestors had created a refuge to save some of the few remaining dragons from the world of hunters. As time passed, the dragon population was once again in a healthy range.

Now, in the present, the town has seen fit to sell off these precious dragons to the highest bidder. Dragon pokemon are those of the highest prestige. It's because of them that our town has been turned into a hot spot for those who wish only to keep the dragons around as a decoration.

I hate our ancestors. If they had let the dragons die out, then Blackthorn City would be perfect. No. I don't hate our ancestors. I hate the dragons. If it weren't for them being so majestic all the time, then everything would be..

Suddenly, the doorknob of the house across the path began shaking, someone fumbling with their keys. I ducked into a shadow. It wasn't always a good thing to be seen out and about this early in the morning in Blackthorn. The door burst open, sending a dark shadow tumbling backwards into a pile of snow. "NOW GO!" cried a voice from the house before slamming the door closed again.

The fallen figure lifted themselves from the snow. A faint sobbing could be heard. As I approached it, it ran off in the direction of the city gate. I directed my attention back towards the house. With the sun beginning to rise, I was able to recognize the house. I sneaked over to peer in through the window. A cyndaquil resting in the fire place; a persian curled up next to it...

"Jenean," A hand pressed down on my left shoulder, "Come inside." I recognized the voice. It did not sound dangerous, as it had a few moments sooner. The man brought me into the warm cozy home. I guess I had walked quite a distance this morning without even realizing it. "I know you saw what just happened." The voice was coming from the kitchen, with me sitting on a comforable couch, leaning against the far arm. "I guess I just wasn't ready for this day to come." The man stood just below a candle chandelier; light poured over his face. "I just can't believe that today is the day my little girl turned 16 and is about to embark on her adventure. I feel it was just yesterday that your father and I watched as she caught her first pokemon down by Cherrygrove. Even you've grown so much."

"Thank you, sir" He stood up, and walked back into the kitchen. He returned holding two silver objects.

"These belonged to your father and me. We carried them around with us when we left on our adventure." He passed me one of the two.

"A compass?"

"Yes...and no. You see, they both are only labled North and South. And on the back of each is an inscription. South, which belonged to your father," indicating the one he had given to me, "And North, which belonged to me," indicating the one he held. "Now, in the front of each is a needle. The needle will always point in the direction of the other compass. This way, neither can be lost." He looked up at the clock. "Will you promise me that you will take care of Marie, and to always remain her friend?" He handed me the North Compass.

I stood up from my seat. "Sir, the two of us have been friends forever. I've waited a year for her to turn 16 so that we could travel together. I'll stand by her forever."

"Thank you. You know, your father would have been very proud of you." He slowly turned around. "Please tell Marie I'm sorry, and give her that North Compass. I wish the two of you, North and South, the best of luck on your adventure"

"North and South?"

"I'm sorry. That's what your father and I used to call each other,"

"No, no... It's quite alright," North and South? I liked the sound of that. "Thank you for these gifts. I'd best be going now," I stood up, and walked out the door.

It was almost noon. 'Bout time I met Marie out by the city gate. Marie? North? Jenean? South? Hmmm...I guess we have some new nicknames.

North and South.
    From ashes we rise
    Fly we shall forever more
    Falling we shall not

Yay! I'm not the only one that highlights sigs for fun!
    ~~~Firemaster~~~

Credits
    Blog Entries

(Well my demons finally let me complete my first chapter. I actually wrote this chapter about five times before, but the data kept getting deleted or lost. So, I'd like to post it now with all possible mistakes for the sake of having it here. I hope you enjoy.)

Chapter 1 – Green Fields

The sun could be seen just breeching over the town’s natural mountain walls. Light slowly seeped down from over them and poured into the bowl of snow. Apparently this light was supposed to fill your skin with warmth, but here in the city of Blackthorn it only made apparent the shadows that lie between all things. As shadow cannot exist without light, nor light without shadow. Complete opposites, yet always drawn to one another. It is the presence of neither that creates that which man fears above all else. The umbra. The darkness that consumes all when there is no light to be found. No shadows to keep you safe from the burning light or the consuming darkness. This is that which man fears above all else. The umbra.

The present day is the day where Marie and I depart for our Pokémon adventure. In a day and age such as this, even the smallest of children know what a Pokémon adventure is. Only, the never truly know what it is. I myself never having embarked on any such adventure can’t even define it. But there is a part of everyone’s heart that defines the adventure in their own specific way. I, myself, believe that the adventure is the eternal search for knowledge. It’s the search for that which the heart longs for. A quest to find the manifestations of your belief system. A search for yourself. The self who you could never find in the place you had found safety. The real you was lost out in the world and you needed to go out and look for it.

The gates. That was where I was to meet up with Marie. The grey mountains surrounding the city jutted out throughout the exterior streets. The closer you came to the gates though, the less the rocks protruded out, the smoother and more overall tame they became. I pressed my nose up against the still slightly rough mountain wall and inhaled. This aroma of wet rock that I had grown up with would never leave me. I lifted my face from the wall and continued down the road to the gates. The ice path howled out one last goodbye to me as the gates came into view.

On my left, carved into the mountainside, rested a stone dragonair. A “V” shaped mask covered its face. Its tail bore a tall rectangular shield. On my right rested a second stone dragonair. Instead of a “V” shaped mask, its slenderly shaped body bore armor and its tail stood gripping a sword. Between the two was the gate. Beyond that? Freedom. Green Fields. The kind that you dream are on the other side of the world. The greenest in the entire world. I know I’ve seen this grass many times before, but something about today made it much more than anything else. Green Fields.

“Hooooooooooooooo…” I turned around to the sound behind me. “…piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip”. A hoppip floated upside down in the direction on the city gate on an air draft. It was more so circular than most hoppips, and its protruding leaves stuck out less. The rounded hoppip bopped into the steel bars and bounced slightly backwards before repeating the cycle of bop-and-bounce.

“Sun…kern. Sun…kern…Sun…kern…Sun…kern”. The small seed pokemon bounced itself over to the bouncing hoppip while melodically chanting its own name. Upon arriving in front of the bars, the seed shut its eyes. “Suuuuuuuunnnnn…KURN!!!” Two spectral golden hands arose from sunkern’s sprout. The hands rose up to the hoppip’s level and squeezed it. Hoppip released a stream of air as it reshaped into its less circular self and extended its leaves. The hands vaporized into the air and hoppip descended to the ground to meet the sunkern. The two played at my feet as I gazed back out past the gate.

“Hey, you!” The two small pokemon turned and ran to their trainer. “Better not be thinking of going ahead without me.” I turned my head.
    “Of course not, Marie.”

(I know that wasn't that eventful or that interesting or even that long, but I just love the idea of walking through such a historic site in the pokemon games and wondering what would this place actually be like? What goes through the people's minds? What do they question? What do they believe in? Yeah, so sorry to you action lovers. I am happy to say that our next chapter will feature our first battle(s). As it always seems to draw in more readers and forum activity, I will be accepting character suggestions. These are the general things that I'm looking for.

Character name:
    Do they specialize in a type? (If yes please include type and give one known poke MAX):
    Relationship w/ pokemon:
    Would they fall into a trainer class? (If so please give class):
    Defining personality trait:

Please PM me a filled out sheet. I would love to implement all of these characters into my story at one point or another. And please feel free to submit more than one character. I'm hoping to actually put a big dent in this within a reasonable amount of time. And thank you for reading.)
    From ashes we rise
    Falling we shall not

~~~Firemaster~~~

PokeFarm Blogger Array pokemonpal7's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Epic! Not only is the story epic but it took you two years to write it! Totally EPIC!!!! Btw, I'll PM u soon.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Default Chapter 2 – Battle Under the Frozen Sun

Marie walked over to the gate, bent over and picked up her Hoppip. “How many times do I have to tell you not to play over by the ice path? Those gusts of wind send you flying. You’re lucky we found you.” Marie laughed and embraced Hoppip in a snuggle against her face. “What am I going to do with you?”

Hoppip raised her hands upward. “PIP!” she laughed out, as if proud of her own lovable rascal nature. Marie let Hoppip go and picked up Sunkern.

“I wouldn’t have found her if it weren’t for you.” She picked up Sunkern and embraced her. “Thanks”. That was the kind of person Marie was. She was there to work with others and couldn’t stand separation. Once she built a bond with someone, it was difficult to break.

Marie approached me now. “Well are we…” she stopped. Her eyes were now focused on the green fields just outside the gate. “Breathtaking,” she sighed with pleasure. She moved closer to the gate. She grabbed onto the iron bars with both hands and pressed her face in the opening so she could get a better view. “It’s just wonderful out there. I think I’m going to like it out there.” She pulled her head back and looked over at me. “You?”

I nod. “You know it”.

We walk over to the gatekeeper. “Good morning you two. Today the big day?”

“Yep,” I respond. “Can you open the gate for us?”

“That is why I’m stationed here.” The man pulled a necklace with a magnificent key on the end over his neck and walked over to the center of the gate. “Ladies,” he inserted the key and rotated it. “I give you the first day of the rest of your lives.” He thrust the gate open. And with that we began dashing out into the green fields with the sun beating down on us.

“YES!” I yelled out to the heavens with my arms flying behind me.

“WHOAH!” called Marie, doing the same. Her Pokémon finally seemed to be moving quickly, not being frozen stiff by the cold streams from the ice path.
    We both ran around for quite a while until we were out of energy. We finally fell down upon the ground struggling for breath. We felt accomplished, though. Her Pokémon had fallen asleep under the sun. They obviously had the right idea, so we followed their lead.

When we woke up, the sun was still high in the sky and the sun felt so nice and warm on our skin. Hoppip and Sunkern were nudging me, pointing to my pokeballs. It seems the two were anxious for a battle. “Marie,” I began, “you up for a battle?”

She stood up and started running across the field. When she made it a good distance she turned around and shot her fist into the air. “I’m ready when you are!”
    “Good. Get ready! Here I come!” I reached my hands down to my belt and lifted my two pokeballs. “Go Smoochum! Poliwag! You too!” I threw the balls in the air and sent my Pokémon into battle. “Let’s do this!”

“Hoppip, Sunkern – you guys ready?” The two Pokémon cheered in response. “Good. Begin!”

“Poliwag! Bubble! Smoochum! Stand close!” Poliwag released a steady flurry of bubbles in the opposing direction.

“Ha! Water type attacks aren’t very effective against grass types. I thought you knew better than that. Hoppip! Helping Hand! Get Sunkern in close!” Two spectral hands pushed Sunkern into the oncoming steam of bubbles closer and closer to Poliwag. “Now Sunkern! Mega-Drain!”

“Smoochum! Powder Snow boost!” Smoochum released a steam of cold into the flurry of bubbles, freezing them on contact and propelling them forward with an even greater force. Each frozen bubble dealt great damage to Sunkern on impact. Sunkern emanated a green aura and shot it at Poliwag, cutting off the bubbles. Energy was drained from Poliwag and transferred to Sunkern. “Smoochum! Powder Snow focus!

“Sunkern! Again!” Sunkern shot another green aura at Poliwag and absorbed the energy, healing it up, but was struck by a focused Powder Snow. The sapping ceased and Sunkern fell to the ground. “Good job Sunkern. You take a rest now”, Marie called as she withdrew Sunkern into the pokeball.

“Hoppip! Tackle Poliwag!” called Marie, continuing the battle. Before I could respond, the hit was landed. Poliwag wasn’t doing well. Another hit like that could take Poliwag out. “Again!” called Marie.

“Poliwag! Bubble! Smoochum! Powder Snow boost!” Another flurry of frozen bubbles was sent out, but Hoppip was too fast. She dodged the bubbles and was just able to clip Poliwag. The sun was granting Hoppip unbelievable speed. If we were going to land a hit, we had to destroy Hoppip’s speed. “Poliwag! Mist!” Poliwag stood up as high as she could and released a large amount of energy to summon a mist over the grassy field. “Smoochum! Keep Poliwag safe while she restores some energy to attack again!”

In this misty setting, I couldn’t issue a direct attack to take out Hoppip with Smoochum, because I didn’t know where she was. I had to wait for Poliwag to recover to use the frozen bubble combo. “Hoppip! If you see them, Tackle Poliwag!” Marie called. Obviously she couldn’t give any specific direction either.

“Chum!” Smoochum shot into the air. She had jumped in the way to defend Poliwag, which meant that Hoppip’s speed had been cut after all. Hoppip was sure to go after Poliwag now if I didn’t take action.

“Poliwag! Bubble up! Smoochum Powder Snow boost!” Poliwag shot a wide flurry of bubbles up above the mist, while Smoochum froze them. Gravity worked its magic and the frozen bubbles came crashing to the ground, but there would be no way of telling if Hoppip was hit until after the mist cleared. Poliwag would surely be exhausted from this final attack battle and would have to be called back. If Hoppip evaded the attack, the mist would eventually fade and she would regain her speed, making Smoochum an easy target. Everything depended on this one attack.

[I hope you all enjoyed my latest installment. I recognize that it's been a while since I've written, and the less than brilliant quality of this chapter is a reflection of that. I'm hoping that I can get back into the swing of this to help forum activity to go back up. Speaking of forum activity:

As it always seems to draw in more readers and forum activity, I will be accepting character suggestions. These are the general things that I'm looking for.

Character name:
    Do they specialize in a type? (If yes please include type and give one known poke MAX):
    Relationship w/ Pokémon:
    Age (minimum 16 if a traveling trainer):
    Would they fall into a trainer class? (If so please give class):
    Defining personality trait:

Please PM me a filled out sheet. I would love to implement all of these characters into my story at one point or another. And please feel free to submit more than one character. I'm hoping to actually put a big dent in this within a reasonable amount of time. And thank you for reading.)
    From ashes we rise
    Falling we shall not

~~~Firemaster~~~