Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 135

Thread: State of PokeFarm

  1. #61
    Not So Cute Array predictions of doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    Credits
    16,604
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    (I'm going to call a tl;dr on this entire thread. Which is a good thing. )

    I really think that PF has everything that it needs to be a really active, nice community- all the framework is in place. What's missing is the members.

    As much as on-site events will make the site itself more active, what I think we really need to do is get more people to come to the site in the first place.

    Back when I first joined (just in time to catch the end of the "glory days"), people had started to suggest that we all go out and try to get our friends to join. I think this is what we really have to do again- just start posting links to PF on every other site that we go on, to raise its overall visibility. Starting 5th gen giveaways on the main site would also help with Google hits, and hopefully get more people to sign up. Spamming Tweeting a lot would also (hopefully) get us noticed more.

    To add on to the PO server idea- if possible, I think a great way to get more interest in PF would be to make a complete online battle server, with no downloads required. I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I think it'd really take off and fill a niche.

    I feel like I, too, haven't been on as much lately as I used to be. This is partially because of real life stuff, but mostly because of the-site-that-shall-not-be-named. It's addicting in the way that this PF used to be. :\
    Back!

  2. #62
    Administrator ♪ Array Kurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,765
    Credits
    88,451
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by predictions of doom View Post
    I think this is what we really have to do again- just start posting links to PF on every other site that we go on, to raise its overall visibility. Starting 5th gen giveaways on the main site would also help with Google hits, and hopefully get more people to sign up. Spamming Tweeting a lot would also (hopefully) get us noticed more.

    To add on to the PO server idea- if possible, I think a great way to get more interest in PF would be to make a complete online battle server, with no downloads required. I'm not sure how feasible this is, but I think it'd really take off and fill a niche.
    a. Spamming other sites with links isn't the best option because it would put PF in a negative light should someone spam a forum to the point that the forum is looked down upon by association.
    b. Hopefully you've noticed I've been doing more tweeting from @pokefarm recently...trying to post whenever I have new information to share, and I've been watching the #BlackWhite hashtag to retweet related discussion from other people. I may discuss my gameplay through that account as well next week (primarily because I don't want to spam my own account's followers with it, since very few are Pokemon fans, lol).
    c. While I feel that a PO server would be neat, it also--as you mentioned, Jimmy (welcome back, by the way! )--takes away from the site and the battling environment here as a whole. It would also fail to give people a reason to come back to the site if they're only there for PO battles, and it takes away from the strategy we employ here of breeding and training your Pokemon.

  3. #63
    I battle with hacked Pokemon. Array revelp8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,942
    Credits
    4,684
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trombones13 View Post
    a. Spamming other sites with links isn't the best option because it would put PF in a negative light should someone spam a forum to the point that the forum is looked down upon by association.
    b. Hopefully you've noticed I've been doing more tweeting from @pokefarm recently...trying to post whenever I have new information to share, and I've been watching the #BlackWhite hashtag to retweet related discussion from other people. I may discuss my gameplay through that account as well next week (primarily because I don't want to spam my own account's followers with it, since very few are Pokemon fans, lol).
    c. While I feel that a PO server would be neat, it also--as you mentioned, Jimmy (welcome back, by the way! )--takes away from the site and the battling environment here as a whole. It would also fail to give people a reason to come back to the site if they're only there for PO battles, and it takes away from the strategy we employ here of breeding and training your Pokemon.
    @trombones13 point well raised kurty...as i have stated previously, but! it would rise up usage. there are both positive and negative aspects to creating a server on PO (pokemon online). Negatively, it would be taking the battling aspect away...only to an extent. remember that on PO you cant perform triple or rotation battles....or doubles, but im not too sure on that. that i can see....somewhat taking the whole aspect of what originally pokefarm was about. On the otherhand, weary newcomers can try out new and old pokemon however they like...get a feel to the new generation and to the new "metagame" that comes around...sure enough they´re going to play other players that follow smogon more intensely, which might be both a negative and positive reaction out of it. negatively being that they might follow smogons rule and play competitively, but also positively in the way that they´re understanding a complicated game.

    one thing for sure though, playing on PO and playing on wifi are completely different feelings. there´s not so much a rush playing on PO, but on wifi its completely different...theres a rush, a player and his opponent are trying to win a chess match while being on different sides of the country while using the pokemon they have raised to battle.

  4. #64
    Not So Cute Array predictions of doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    Credits
    16,604
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    a. I didn't mean spam other sites- just post a link, if it's relevant, or keep it in your signature on other forums. I go on this other Pokemon site, and they have a minor battling section- whenever people ask for help, especially regarding EVs/Breeding, I link them to the guides here. It's not against the rules on the other site, and it's not meant to be annoying. Only helpful.

    b. I've been trying to avoid Twitter-related things, but yep, I've noticed. Keep it up! I'll start re-tweeting.

    c. True. But if the whole breeding/battling community just doesn't work out...?
    Back!

  5. #65
    Pokemon Trainer Array Pokemancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Quinlan, TX
    Posts
    1,470
    Credits
    6,350

    Default

    While discussing Berries in Fifth Gen I had a thought: How about a PokéFarm Arbor Day once the DreamWorld is open and we can trade and stuff? See my thread for the some thoughts...
    Look! I've got FANFICS:
    To Conquer Worlds: A Platinum Nuzlocke Challenge
    Umbral Lines - A Story of Unova

    Also, take a look at: Those Who Know How Not To Be Seen: A group for lovers of Pokémon and Monty Python!

    GO SPURS GO!!!

  6. #66
    Pokemon Trainer Student Array lordlogan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    942
    Credits
    9,596

    Default

    it seems as if the forums have been a bit more active lately
    ]thanks to scarlet for my awsome chcyer Bobreeder made that for me once upon a timeago the FC no longer applies

  7. #67
    Pokemon Trainer Array Pokemancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Quinlan, TX
    Posts
    1,470
    Credits
    6,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordlogan2 View Post
    it seems as if the forums have been a bit more active lately
    While this is true, the trick is to keep it this active once the wave of newness for Black & White dims a little bit.
    Look! I've got FANFICS:
    To Conquer Worlds: A Platinum Nuzlocke Challenge
    Umbral Lines - A Story of Unova

    Also, take a look at: Those Who Know How Not To Be Seen: A group for lovers of Pokémon and Monty Python!

    GO SPURS GO!!!

  8. #68
    Gym Leader Array BugCatcher6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    (GMT -05:00)
    Posts
    12,608
    Credits
    61,279
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    The activity has been all about the B/W and it's contents. That has done nothing to revive farm events, battling, the academy, and the numerous other side projects that has been this site.


  9. #69
    Crypt Gym Secretary Array pikaluva13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Jackson, Michigan
    Posts
    1,936
    Credits
    27,728
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    The activity has been all about the B/W and it's contents. That has done nothing to revive farm events, battling, the academy, and the numerous other side projects that has been this site.
    Better than nothing.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  10. #70
    Gym Leader Array BugCatcher6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    (GMT -05:00)
    Posts
    12,608
    Credits
    61,279
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikaluva13 View Post
    Better than nothing.
    In a few weeks it will be nothing. The further people get in the game the less the questions will come in. So we need to figure out what to do after the question and answer period ends.


Similar Threads

  1. pokefarm
    By x_sugarhuni_x in forum Farmer's Tool Shed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 12:18 PM
  2. Thanks to PokeFarm
    By peanuteater2304 in forum Forum Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 09:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •