Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: State of PokeFarm

Pokemon Trainer Array MissingNo.'s Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Default State of PokeFarm

Let me start off by saying that I love PokeFarm. I've met a lot of great people here, some of whom I can even call my real life friends. This site has been wonderful to me and I've tried my best to give back to it as much as I can. This thread is meant to be one of those attempts and nothing negative towards those mentioned below.

Its an understatement to say that PokeFarm is slow. To be blunt, we used to see 40+ people on at this time, daily. Now we're lucky to have 10 people online. We can point and blame everyone on why this site has gotten to this point. But the fact is, there's not a whole lot being done around here. I think everyone is living in the past. We all expect the old admins and mods to organize events for us. We all expect the old members to help the newbies out with acquiring those Pokes they could never get hold of. Truth is, the newbies are now the majority of this sites activity. I constantly watch the Who's Online page, monitoring when I can. I see more names that I don't recognize than those that I do.

My opinion on the cause: I think its about outdated top-level management. We have way too many people with high-level responsibilities who haven't been active in months on this site, years even. Gym leaders who haven't signed in to check on requests. A champion who know one even knew existed. Admins and mods who use the hide ability. No one wants to step up and say "hey, we need to move on from these older people who aren't active anymore." We need to stop living in the past and saying, "Remember the good days when these people and those people used to do these and those things?" Well these and those people are gone. Empty spots have been left behind. There was a time when there were so many newer members looking for things to do that they would try to create activities on the forum, activities that were frowned upon because they weren't run officially by the site leaders.

The "site leaders" are gone. Its time we replaced them. Its time we take a good hard look at who is really still here. Who really still makes quality posts? Who really helps those on the forum find those ever-elusive Pokemon? Who's creating events? Who's our gym leaders, main site farmers, tournament hosts, competition leaders?

Let's stop adding these gimmicks, and stealing ideas from other sites to try and draw in more traffic. This is PokeFarm, and this site has its purpose. The arrival of B&W gives us a great opportunity to get back to our roots as a site, while providing existing, helpful, and active members with the opportunity to help us grow and succeed. Honestly, this site just isn't fun anymore. Posting which song you're listening to just isn't cutting it. Little unsuccessful tourneys, half-***ed upgrades, things *never* getting finished, these sorts of things need to stop.

The monotony that is what PokeFarm has become must end. I, MissingNo., personally challenge all site leaders of any form to post here stating their ideas on how we can all work together equally to improve PokeFarm. Gym Leaders, Staff, anyone. And those of you who aren't included in that group, please feel absolutely free to post here any ideas or suggestions so that those in charge can go through and MAKE HAPPEN.
    Competitive Discussion

★ King of the Hill ★ Array Empoleon67's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I can only speak from a gym leader's perspective, but honestly I do not get many challengers. I honestly have not had a gym battle in over a year. I've only had 3-5 challengers, most of whom were new members who stayed on Pokefarm for a week and never came back. Even though you would have to breed a specific team I think if you stayed around long enough you would be able to challenge. Not to mention almost none of the gyms have challengers anyway. This makes me think we need less gyms and (most likely) no specialized gym. Honestly, I love Baby Battling, but if people are not going to breed a team for a regular gym, What makes us going to think people are going to breed a team for a completely new type of battling.

But I agree with you on the outdated management point though. I remember when there was monthly art contests, gym threads being updated almost daily, and plenty of farm events. I think we need to work together to start revitalizing Pokefarm. In this year, there have only been 5 farm events. If you go back and look at 2008-2009 there were about that much in a month.

tl;dr: We probably need less gyms and more community events such as farm events and art contests.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Frawg's Avatar
    Credits

From the prespective of a battle/non-gym leader, I've sent challenges to almost every gym. The only responses Ive gotten are from Trombones, Sorgatani, and RazorBeam. None of the other leaders are active. Many members do not have battle ready teams, and some don't even have Wi-fi. If the site is going to pick up activity from the release of B/W, and I say "if", things need to be in better order.

Recently, the amount of battlers has picked up alittle. I think that some of the the more experienced battlers, i.e. MissingNo, P.O.D., Buzz, etc. Should be given the opportunity to start new gyms, if they so choose. Make use of the cash system, offer both a badge and a cash reward to challengers, but also have a fee for battles, say 150-250. For the gyms, will it be mandatory 5th Gen. Battles or should the gyms keep a 4th gen team handy?

I feel that the Breeding events will naturaly pick up with the new games, and on a positive note, the work done by Steve is much appreciated. It adds to the site, it just does not carry the weight to save it.

Also, what is required in adding tags for the site, I found this site through a random search for totodile. . . Is there a way to add search tags?
    0_0 soon.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array lordlogan2's Avatar
    Credits

I do think that the site will pick back up with the new games i'm sure a few old members will remember us andstop by, and i for one am very bored with the battling right now i mean it has been the same thing since,well the release of diamond and pearl.I don't think any members need handed mod powers right now, our current ones are quite active in their modding. I think we also need to get the word of pokefarm around maybe affiliate with other pokemon websites or something because we dont have much pull in, theres always a load of guests online and heres a message to them, Guests please join we have a lot to offer and for something to grow it requires new people!

But on the other hand thank you steve it is a great website and a second home for us all
    ]thanks to scarlet for my awsome chcyer Bobreeder made that for me once upon a timeago the FC no longer applies

Credits

The site itself if amazing and has been developing in a delightful manner. There are plenty of things to do... the problem is well... as MissingNo. said... the people that made the things are not as active anymore. I myself am one of those most active members right now, and that is because I'm going through a "period" (looking for colleges, studding for SAT & AP tests, for classes that I'm not even taking, percussion ensemble, and spending time with the family). I personally would love to finish the two fanfics that I started, but all of these other things have infected me with writer's block and I can't come up with anything interesting enough to post, or don't have the time to even come up with it. As for art contests, I can hosts those... but unofficially... as in I can't promise a ribbon, but I can make a trophy for signatures, I have time for that (about 10-15 min). As for battling, I want to battle, but everyone seems to be using the official strategies. Lets face it, as much as I love Lucario, I'm sick and tired of everyone using the same old swiper tactic and taking out my team. And thats not just for Lucario, but other pokemon too, its as if all the strategies that are out there are in action, little or no trainers try to mix things up and use some crazy tactic to pull of a win... I mean that's what makes it fun. Now I don't mean to bash on successful and powerful strategies for certain pokemon or teams but to me, battling the same type of strategy every now and then or almost always is getting bland and boring. Its like eating the same food for breakfast lunch and dinner for three days. Eventually you get sick of the taste and can't bare to eat another bite, and I know that for sure, having to spend a week on mashed potatoes (long story) I ended up only eating once a day and loosing about 5 pounds. What I mean to say is that battles are fun and all, but people need to mix things up. I tried doing it and failed miserably, because my mad ideas fail at the hands of some OUed battle ideas like the sword dance and bullet Punch Scicor (forgive me for misspelling). Farming events should go up with the new generation, its just an expectation, but as for the battles I am serious. New members come, they have a in game team, no IV breed or EV train, probably. They try a gym and fail, then they feel bad and try again or at another gym only to get beat again, by the same pokemon. Buzz's pokemon academy thing is helpful so is the farmer's tool shed, but people want to battle and are inexperienced, so having like a little apprentice tourney once in a while will be good. I remember one was made a while ago, where a gym leader or good battler gave help to a new guy/girl and then the new people got a better team and ect.

but that's just me and my suggestions from a room filled with books marked with notebook paper and lots of notes all around. Hope to see this place back rolling with the new gen.

OH YES! And for publicity. Well for the PF press, I wrote a fanfic, already made all the characters and places basing it on a mystery. My idea was to make something like a youtube show, as an animation of the fanfic (as one chapter is long enough). So pretty much a ten minuet show that can get PF publicity via youtube, which has a lot of members. just a suggestion again as I don't have the time to record voices or make the animation...

Friend Code: 0733-7241-0362

<-- need 2 more wins to make it official

Credits
    Blog Entries

I have tried all I can. The Academy dies out because it seems to me nobody wants to work on getting better. It is easier to ask for help when needed. The Spawn game dies out even quicker, which it is suppose to be for everyone, our artist, battlers, farmers, and fans. However it gets very little help from anyone, same 5 people. Even the tournament I started with people paying PokéCash to battle seems to be a failure. The strategy guide section never came back like I would have liked to see. I find Spawn and the strategy guide really helps with making move-sets and learning to battle.

I would like to see more out of the gyms. When I ran a gym nobody ever had to wait for a reply, maybe a day or 2 for a battle, but never a reply.

And not to toot my own horn, but I think one thing the gyms are missing are big names. Not that I was the greatest gym leader battler, but people wanted to beat Buzz, and many of the other gym leaders. Which my time as an ADMIN added to that. I was a very active ADMIN. Now all I see doing anything is Kurt. Which his time is now limited as well from being in school. I understand the higher ups have a life outside of PokéFarm, but there is no face on the farm anymore.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array BlueTempest's Avatar
    Credits

Pokefarm is great, and I would love to see it in a glory greater than its previous a few years back. I have been an inactive member for some time now, and am going to change that dead status. I loved the pokeacademy and the whole gym system, but what we may require is to create less of a steep learning curve for new members. I believe many new members, if eased into pokefarm can establish themselves here and create another community. We have to draw in new active members.
    "Leadership is a matter of intelligence, trustworthiness, humaneness, courage, and sternness."
    Sun Tzu, Art of War

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Viperizer's Avatar
    Credits

I have been around this great site for quite a long time now and i have met so me really awesome people who i can call friends as well and i think we owe it to Steve no wait not just Steve but this whole site that has given us laughs and friendship I say we do this we get more members and get everyone involved once again!
    "He Just lost it."
    "Who?"
    "The Man In Charge."

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Caljoones's Avatar
    Credits

I definitly agree about gym leaders being inactive. The only reason i joined this forum in the first place was because I liked the ideas of the gyms. I've since come to learn the total awesomeness of the Pokefarm Forums, but I never got a reply back from the gym leaders...

Restatement...
    Trombones13 did message me back.
    Last edited by Kurt; 03-02-2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Double-post
    3DS Friend Code: 4098-4335-9049

Pokemon Trainer Array Pikadude609's Avatar
    Credits

I agree, the site has been quiet. I say maybe with B/W we try and reboot the site... Have the gyms done with new leaders if the old ones aren't activate. To think we could have new gyms with triple/rotation battles and all that.

New forum farming events, since it's slightly easier with TM's being unlimited use for breeding and all that.