Thread: Moves With Negative Side Effects?

Credits

Default Moves With Negative Side Effects?

So I was looking at Serebii, as per the usual for Black and White updates, for the new abilities and their info. The ability I was most intrigued with is Encourage, which Serebii states "boosts the power of the attacks used by the Pokémon but disables any secondary effect that they have."

Now, before you look at me funny and tell me this isn't necessarily D/P/Pt/HG/SS related, the main question isn't concerning B/W. In fact, just like I mentioned in the title of the thread, I simply want to know which moves have negative side effects. Moves like:

-Hammer Arm (minus one Speed stage)
    -Overheat (minus two Special Attack stage)

Etc., etc. I'll be sifting through moves that have these negative side effects, but I'd like to know what you know as well, in case I miss one or two.

Of course, this is all really just in case this new ability actually removes ALL side effects of moves, positive or otherwise, but I'd like to know just in case. The wording here leads me to believe as such, and I know that this Pokemon will be a great asset to a team if the rest of it isn't horrible. <_<

I am currently looking for these pokes:
    Bastiodon, Probopass, Wormadam-S
    Please contact me somehow if you have any of these and are willing to trade! Skype is preferred, but VMs/PMs are fine

Feel free to Skype me! I'm literally always online. Always.

Crypt Gym Secretary Array pikaluva13's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

close combat is one i can think of off the top of my head

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting young whipper snappers into place since 1882. Array belnumcree's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Any of the moves with Recoil damage. Brave Bird, Flare Blitz, Wood Hammer, struggle (wonder how this will be affected), etc.

I wonder whether it would affect Hi Jump Kick, since the recoil is only added if the move misses.
    Extremely ancient and decrepit retired Boulder Gym Leader....Thanks Vis for the new card. *looks at new user title* Stay off my lawn

Credits
    Blog Entries

Does recoil count as a secondary effect? I always thought secondary effect was raise/lower a stat or status effect.

Credits
    Blog Entries

I wonder if moves such as hyper beam, which force the user to take a turn to recharge, will be affected by this ability.
    From ashes we rise
    Fly we shall forever more
    Falling we shall not

Yay! I'm not the only one that highlights sigs for fun!
    ~~~Firemaster~~~

Putting young whipper snappers into place since 1882. Array belnumcree's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    Does recoil count as a secondary effect? I always thought secondary effect was raise/lower a stat or status effect.
    I'm not really sure how it would be classified. I've been doing some looking and it looks like a lot of the debate is leaning toward secondary effect being only those that cause status effects. i.e. "May cause _____" So it may not affect the stat drops etc. If the only thing affected is inducing status effects, then that moves it from an (IMO) excellent ability, to an annoying one. (See: Slow Start, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by meeker View Post
    I wonder if moves such as hyper beam, which force the user to take a turn to recharge, will be affected by this ability.
    I guess as Buzz said, it depends on what constitutes a secondary effect.
    Extremely ancient and decrepit retired Boulder Gym Leader....Thanks Vis for the new card. *looks at new user title* Stay off my lawn

The Dojo Leader Array razorbeam's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by belnumcree View Post
    I'm not really sure how it would be classified. I've been doing some looking and it looks like a lot of the debate is leaning toward secondary effect being only those that cause status effects. i.e. "May cause _____" So it may not affect the stat drops etc. If the only thing affected is inducing status effects, then that moves it from an (IMO) excellent ability, to an annoying one. (See: Slow Start, etc)
    i'm in agreement with you. Pokemon with Ability "Encourage" would increase it's attack but loses secondary effect such as confusion, flinching, paralysis,etc.

Abilites can only be negative depending on circumstance. Dry skin for example is positive when you are expecting a water attack but then it will take damage when Sunny Day is in effect. If you have a Fire team like the Dojo, you gotta think twice.
    Last edited by razorbeam; 06-18-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Pokemon X IGN "Xymon" 4811-8350-7440

Credits
    Blog Entries

IF it goes the way I mentioned, wouldn't it be more a better version of Hustle? Instead of lower accuracy though it would only drop the secondary effect. Which would turn moves like Bubblebeam into a move better then Surf, Hydro Cannon, or Hydro Pump, and all you lose is the 10% chance to lower your opponent's SPD.

i think it narrows down the possibilites and moveset for the new fire monkey, since only atk is raised while ANY secondary status is disabled. that would mean positive side effects as well, for instance, a physical fire move such as flame wheel has an added bonus to inflict a burn on an opponent, but its disabled...usually, a burn like that would be welcome in any case. if it learns close combat, the defense stage lowering is disabled and flare blitz recoil, since its a secondary effect, would be disabled as well.

all in all, its half and half. it can be entirely broken and it can't be. we'll just have to see what moves its able to learn and take it from there.