Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else feel underleveled in HG/SS?

Poke Kid Array
    Credits

Default Anyone else feel underleveled in HG/SS?

Hey guys. I got HeartGold when it came out. It's my first Pokemon game since the original red way back when. I'm enjoying all the changes/updates, but I've noticed on thing. I feel like I'm horribly, horribly underleveled. I just got the 16th badge and am trying to beat Red, but his pokemon are all roughly 25 levels higher than mine... Right now my highest poke is my 60 Gengar (though I did catch the 70 Lugia). It was the first pokemon I caught and has been in my party since the bellsprout tower. What's with the massive discrepancy? Is that normal or did I completely miss some good leveling area? The highest wild pokemon I can find is a 51 golbat in Mt Silver and I really don't have any desire to kill 700000 golbats to reach the 80s with my team... Any suggestions?

Pokemon Trainer Array Pikadude609's Avatar
    Credits

I think these games just lack the levelling. Like my team was only in the 40's when I beat the E4. Compared to my Platinum team being in the 60's.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Even with the PokéGear for battling rematches, there is just no solid way to level up in HG/SS. Which when G/S/C were out, money and leveling were a problem. I think most of us are spoiled by the Vs. Seeker. On my SS my highest level Pokémon is level 42, minus any Legends. I have the first 8 badges and have not yet went to challenge the E4.

But yeah leveling off of just wild Pokémon takes so much longer. Once you get to where you can rechallenge the Gym Leaders, it gets a bit easier. Although you can only challenge like once a day and each day is a different gym leader(s).

Pokemon Trainer Array Pikadude609's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    Even with the PokéGear for battling rematches, there is just no solid way to level up in HG/SS. Which when G/S/C were out, money and leveling were a problem. I think most of us are spoiled by the Vs. Seeker. On my SS my highest level Pokémon is level 42, minus any Legends. I have the first 8 badges and have not yet went to challenge the E4.

But yeah leveling off of just wild Pokémon takes so much longer. Once you get to where you can rechallenge the Gym Leaders, it gets a bit easier. Although you can only challenge like once a day and each day is a different gym leader(s).
    Yes, unlike Platinum where you can rebattle about 3-5 a day plus the daily Poke Centre matches.

If you want to level up badly. I would just trade over to Platinum/D/P. Level up a bit (Lucky egg will do wonders since the trade bonus helps). Or just solid training. I think Cerulean cave has pretty decent levels

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I have the same problem. I am currently levelling up my pokemon to face off with Red, and they feel horribly underlevelled.

The highest level wild pokemon I've found are about level 50. It's taking some grinding, but I will get there eventually ^_^
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

Torrent Gym Leader/Head Farmer Array Deneves's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Just give the gym leaders another call and they will battle you again and again. They are level 50-60 and work well for leveling up pokes.
    An advantage that you have over Red is you can use revives and the Hail will slowly wear away the HP on all his pokes but Lapras.

Poke Kid Array
    Credits

Yeah. I've also noticed that the majority of the "high" level wild pokemon are ground/rock (with all the caves). How's a guy supposed to train a fire pokemon? Poor, poor arcanine...

Pokemon Trainer Student Array NeonZRO's Avatar
    Credits

Even though I'm not completely cool with the idea and didn't do it myself the most logical solution would be to trade from D/P/PL. It took me about a week (not playing all day just a few hours each day) to level my Pokemon up and even then it wasn't to match Reds level as my highest was my Leafeon... at 71! The rest were 65 and above so either you train longer or you do what I did and rely on good strategy. But for those of you not patient enough just trade over because as fun as the game is, training that slow simply kills the mood.
    Good training starts with good breeding.

Torrent Gym Leader/Head Farmer Array Deneves's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monochrome5 View Post
    How's a guy supposed to train a fire pokemon? Poor, poor arcanine...
    Try the Cerulean Cave, the pokes are at level 40 and Arcanine can get fat on the Magnetons and Parasects that are in there. I recommend having it hold a Smoke Ball so it won't get trapped by a Wobbuffet

Not So Cute Array predictions of doom's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monochrome5 View Post
    Yeah. I've also noticed that the majority of the "high" level wild pokemon are ground/rock (with all the caves). How's a guy supposed to train a fire pokemon? Poor, poor arcanine...
    I just gave mine an EXP share, though if you wanted to you could let the wild mons whittle down its HP and then use Reversal. (Handy on the Rock types, provided you're faster).
    Back!