Thread: Flippin' Voltorbs! - A Playthrough with Tani

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Default Flippin' Voltorbs! - A Playthrough with Tani

Well! My copy of HG arrived yesterday, I started it up around Noon... and by this morning, I had discovered Voltorb Flip.

As others have mentioned, the game is quite addictive, once you get used to it!

I would describe it as a combination of the games 'Minesweeper', 'Sudoku', and Picross

Because my camera is out of batteries, and I can't find the charger, I'm going to give you a gradual playthrough, of my 'level 5' game. I am not necessarily expecting to win, but I am going to do it in such a way that maybe you will understand my thought processes in making the decisions that I do.

The numbers in red indicate how many Voltorb are in the field; whereas the number above the line indicates how much the numbers in that particular row/column add up to.

Let's begin. *studies board*

I will begin by opening my Memo, and looking at what I do *not* need to flip. Ah! See that bottom row? It's a 5x5 grid - if the top and bottom numbers add up to '5', then every tile in that row is either a Voltorb or a '1' - which is neutral, and does not affect your score. If it's a choice between a 'voltorb and a 1', well personally I choose neither - so I mark the whole row with both the 'voltorb' and '1' stamps.

I continue to inspect the board, making stamps as I go, before I decide upon the first tile I'd actually like to flip.

Ah-ha! Middle column, second tile from the bottom. That is my first target - because both 8 and 10 are high numbers. I close the memo, and tap the tile. *crosses fingers*

and it's a 3! ^_^ *searches for more potential targets*

This is taking a while... but if I lose, I'll show the final board - promise!

Current score: 3

*flips middle row, second from top* Another 3!
    Current score: 9

*second from top, second from right* A 2!
    Current score: 18

In a risky manoeuvre, I opt for the last tile in the second row - an 8/1 coinciding with a 4/2. Fortunately, my hunch is correct - it's a 2 - my current score is 36

Hmm... now my Stamps need updating - notice how I've flipped over numbers higher than 1? Well now I have to factor them into calculations; the amount of 'potentially good' tiles is actually decreasing, which is a good thing! That last column has a '2' in it now, so every other tile must either be a voltorb or a 1.

My next move, will be top row, middle column - I'm thinking it's a 2 *crosses fingers*

And it is! Current score: 72

Hmm.. well I'm going to go ahead and flip that middle one, I think it'll be another '2'

Yup! Current score: 144.

I also need to update my stamps

Notice now I only have 2 viable targets? I think my game is almost over - and I hope it is in a good way.

I am selecting the cell that is second from the left, and second from the bottom. It will either make or break this game

A 3! 432 coins, and that was indeed the last tile.

Before the 'reveal', my board looks like this:

After, it looks like this *stamps removed*

Thanks for reading - and as a personal note, I'm glad I finished by 'winning' instead of 'losing' - because I was hoping this might help people get used to the gameplay and controls.

I just noticed that this success got me up to an even 2100 coins! ^_^
    Last edited by Sorgatani; 03-24-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

Circuit Gym Assistant Array Killerjeff88's Avatar
    Credits

looks like the play style is the same for me. awesome walk through Tani.
    I wonder if anyone is playing it differently ^_^

Credits
    Blog Entries

This is actually exactly what I do when I play...and here I thought I was original for having come up with it. xD Great guide for new players! ^_^

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

^_^ Thanks

Originally this post was going to be a blog, but there are too many pictures for that. So it's a guide instead ^_^

It was hard to pace myself gradually for this one, and to decide when to post updated pics.

I play it sort of how I play Sudoku on my DSi - stamps and a minor degree of guesswork

There are times when I do get impatient and flip something randomly; I *really* don't like when that's a voltorb

Oh, in addition? When a whole row/column has no voltorbs... I flip the lot, even when the top number's a 5. It's a satisfying feeling

And I'm glad not to be the only one who plays like this. Logic games can be fun, not that I have too much of a sense of that :P
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

I just made it to goldenrod today and I've gotta admit, this game is really fun. It gets extremely annoying when you run out of tiles that you're sure you can mark/tap and you have to guess.

Especially when it's between 2 and you end up choosing the wrong one >.>

Credits go to n0t and thefuriousangel.

Credits

Voltorb Flip > Slots.
    Im kind of glad they replaced it XD
    [4:50 PM] Bobbreeder: Well, Scizor dies to insertfirehere

Crypt Gym Secretary Array pikaluva13's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I believe this was how i played it, but I got bored with it really quickly so I hadn't played it but a few times...got about 200 coins I think

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pokemon Trainer in Waiting Array iNot's Avatar
    Credits

I believe changing it made the game rating go down to G again. hahaha.

Pokemon Trainer in Waiting Array rueyeet's Avatar
    Credits

Thank you! This is extremely helpful; I kept hitting Voltorbs once I'd gotten past the easy eliminations, and couldn't figure out why.

I gotta say, I like this MUCH better than the Slots. I'm not the fastest finger on the buttons, so Voltorb Flip gives me a much better chance of getting enough coins for a prize -- and it's crazy addictive, too.
    TN: Rue
    FCs:
    Pearl - 2363 3553 2823 Platinum - 4941 2172 8879 SoulSilver - 4684 0785 6644

3DS - 2938 7766 2799