View Poll Results: Would writing strategy guides interest you?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would like to share my ideas with every.

7 77.78%
  • No, boring it would, no wait just boring.

2 22.22%

Thread: The Poké Academy Board's Side Projects #2

Credits
    Blog Entries

Exclamation The Poké Academy Board's Side Projects #2

In an attempt to bring in more students and offer more people a chance to earn a Golden Combee, or whatever the new badge is, The board has discussed an option to bring in veteran forum members or members that just don't like farming or battling.

Awhile back, I believe belnumcree started it, PokéFarm started a strategy section. It boomed at the start and has since fizzled. I would like to see it return and fill it's pages with Poké battle knowledge.

What we would do is offer select Pokémon per project and the people who signed up would create a strategy guide. Like this one for example.

Each submitted guide would be looked over and given credits towards earning the PA badge. All the guides submitted would then be compiled into one for the strategy dex with each contributing member given credit for their work.

There will be a poll to gauge interest. Please post your thoughts.

Credits
    Blog Entries

I have sent a PM to Belnum with suggestions about this section (about 3-4 days ago, actually). I think this kinda thing should wait till vB4 until its actually fully stepped up, just for the push to article function

Anyway, I don't believe the principle would work, if its optional, little will happen. To really get any activity there, some discussion also needs to occur there as well, and since thats currently private, its a pointless exercise, as all you will find is people just copy and pasting stuff from Smogon. I could write an essay about this (I already have =P) but fact of the matter is people need to have informed opinions on it, otherwise alot of it will be incorrect or not really that helpful.

I can tell you, when I write guides, yes I do copy some stuff from smogon, but I usually have 1-2 more sets of my own depending on movepool and such. Thats how all my guides, and most others are constructed. There needs to be quality control in some form or another.

Another point being, I don't actually want to be locked out of writing strats, thats how your explaination looks like, and I won't (well, actually its more a can't) just join PA to write them, its an open feature to everyone, which is where this whole idea falls over. I don't write my Strats for a reward at all, incentivizing the whole thing will result in low quality.

I suspect this idea could work, but I believe having someone in charge of the whole forum could work in a considerably better manner, and I think the tier discussion is being wasted in the private forum, when it should also be free opinion of everyone, especially considering that the pokes in BL are for inspection according to members in that section, and nothing has happened for almost a year.

Thats my opinion, I don't think its really feasible though, better to do it independently, I know several people who would be OK with writing some guides, thats for sure.
    --

Credits
    Blog Entries

Just want to point out 1 thing: as we don't want this to copy Smogon, I think we should look at the Pokemon that are popular in PokeFarm tiers, and through that analyze the Pokemon and make movesets with this knowledge. For this we'd need members who actually play a lot of PokeFarm battles (so I can't do this), and also members who have a grasp on how to actually counter Pokes (knowledge about damage calculators will help here).
    We have a unique tier list, banning legendaries, and our UU is also very small compared to other places. I believe there is some merit in having a PokeFarm strategy dex, but then we have to make it specific for the battles we use here on PokeFarm (for example, Earthquake on MixMence may have less merit as Heatran isn't found here). This way we'd have a different one from Smogon, without it being inferior.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S Tailor View Post
    I have sent a PM to Belnum with suggestions about this section (about 3-4 days ago, actually). I think this kinda thing should wait till vB4 until its actually fully stepped up, just for the push to article function

Anyway, I don't believe the principle would work, if its optional, little will happen. To really get any activity there, some discussion also needs to occur there as well, and since thats currently private, its a pointless exercise, as all you will find is people just copy and pasting stuff from Smogon. I could write an essay about this (I already have =P) but fact of the matter is people need to have informed opinions on it, otherwise alot of it will be incorrect or not really that helpful.

I can tell you, when I write guides, yes I do copy some stuff from smogon, but I usually have 1-2 more sets of my own depending on movepool and such. Thats how all my guides, and most others are constructed. There needs to be quality control in some form or another.

Another point being, I don't actually want to be locked out of writing strats, thats how your explaination looks like, and I won't (well, actually its more a can't) just join PA to write them, its an open feature to everyone, which is where this whole idea falls over. I don't write my Strats for a reward at all, incentivizing the whole thing will result in low quality.

I suspect this idea could work, but I believe having someone in charge of the whole forum could work in a considerably better manner, and I think the tier discussion is being wasted in the private forum, when it should also be free opinion of everyone, especially considering that the pokes in BL are for inspection according to members in that section, and nothing has happened for almost a year.

Thats my opinion, I don't think its really feasible though, better to do it independently, I know several people who would be OK with writing some guides, thats for sure.
    I was just merely trying to bring life back to it. If you notice most things on this site get attention when there is a reward. Offering it as a project allows for it to be monitored so it is not just a bunch of copy & paste.

And I have no input to add for the someone in charge of the forum, which I think you mean the strategy guide section, and the tier discussion I have voiced concerns on, but I see absolutely no reason why that is brought up here.

I know if it was me for the strategy guide section, the actual forum would have discussions and the sub-forum is where all the info would be added after collection. That way each guide would have the opinions of everyone, hence the idea for this and compiling all the info.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    I was just merely trying to bring life back to it. If you notice most things on this site get attention when there is a reward. Offering it as a project allows for it to be monitored so it is not just a bunch of copy & paste.

And I have no input to add for the someone in charge of the forum, which I think you mean the strategy guide section, and the tier discussion I have voiced concerns on, but I see absolutely no reason why that is brought up here.

I know if it was me for the strategy guide section, the actual forum would have discussions and the sub-forum is where all the info would be added after collection. That way each guide would have the opinions of everyone, hence the idea for this and compiling all the info.
    I agree on your last point 100%
    --