Thread: First and Current... PC

Pokemon Trainer Array Pikadude609's Avatar
    Credits

Default First and Current... PC

So...

Anyone wanna answer these???-
    ---------------------------------

1. What was your first pc you used and what were the specs?

2. What was the first pc you owned and what were the specs?

3. What are/were your previous computers and what are the specs?

4. What is your current set of computers and what are their specs?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Mine :-

1. What was your first pc you used and what were the specs? -> Old Windows 98 One (Nan's)

2. What was the first pc you owned and what were the specs?-> Really Old XP Tower

3. What are/were your previous computers and what are the specs?->

First - Desktop Tower/XP

Second - Old XP Laptop

Third - Old HP Laptop (Now My Sister's)

4. What is your current set of computers and what are their specs?->

HP G60 -- Windows 7 Home Premium x64 (Used to Have Vista Home Premium x86)
    Last edited by Pikadude609; 11-24-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Heh, funny how someone calls a computer that ran Windows 98 "old."

I still remember several DOS commands.

My first PC, I was too young to remember much about it except that it was HUUUGE compared to today's, and it ran nothing but DOS. Then we finally got one that ran Windows 3.1 and it was so exciting.

I've had several computers since then. My dad used to fix them for people, and he'd also buy junky ones for a couple bucks at yard sales and mix the parts up to get them working again and I'd get whatever the second best one out of all those was (he got first best of course!). So I'd get an upgrade every once in a while as Dad would manage to put together a better computer. All my Frankenstein-esque computers had quirks, though. My personal favourite was the one that I called narcoleptic. It would randomly reboot itself just... Whenever. Not because of overheating, not because of a faulty power source... Sometimes it would do it as soon as I got it on, other times it'd go for a few hours before rebooting. We never figured out why it would do that. I learned to save every 30 seconds.

My first brand new computer that was no one's but mine was a Dell laptop that ran WinXP Home (which I still run because Vista stinks and I want to learn more about Win7 before dumping the bucks on it).

My current computer is awesome. I ordered all the parts off Newegg and built it. I don't feel comfortable giving out all the specs but suffice it to say that it will run any super awesome graphic-heavy game you throw at it at the same time as running Adobe Photoshop and 57 Firefox tabs, and will do so without any lag. I have a dual flat-screen monitor set up when I want to, also, as my television doubles as a monitor.

And the computer parts cost me about half as much as buying a crappy one from Best Buy would have.
    Last edited by Kay; 08-03-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Ignore the friend code on Phanpy's head. That's the old DS.
    Friend code is 4012-4693-9035

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

My first PC, I was too young to remember much about it except that it was HUUUGE compared to today's, and it ran nothing but DOS. Then we finally got one that ran Windows 3.1 and it was so exciting.

I've had several computers since then. My dad used to fix them for people, and he'd also buy junky ones for a couple bucks at yard sales and mix the parts up to get them working again and I'd get whatever the second best one out of all those was (he got first best of course!). So I'd get an upgrade every once in a while as Dad would manage to put together a better computer. All my Frankenstein-esque computers had quirks, though. My personal favourite was the one that I called narcoleptic. It would randomly reboot itself just... Whenever. Not because of overheating, not because of a faulty power source... Sometimes it would do it as soon as I got it on, other times it'd go for a few hours before rebooting. We never figured out why it would do that. I learned to save every 30 seconds.

My first brand new computer that was no one's but mine was a Dell laptop that ran WinXP Home (which I still run because Vista stinks and I want to learn more about Win7 before dumping the bucks on it).

My current computer is awesome. I ordered all the parts off Newegg and built it. I don't feel comfortable giving out all the specs but suffice it to say that it will run any super awesome graphic-heavy game you throw at it at the same time as running Adobe Photoshop and 57 Firefox tabs, and will do so without any lag. I have a dual flat-screen monitor set up when I want to, also, as my television doubles as a monitor.

And the computer parts cost me about half as much as buying a crappy one from Best Buy would have.
    Why don't you feel commfortable divulging the specs? Regardless, newegg is the best, and your setup there sounds pretty good.

Btw, I tend to do the same thing your dad did/does, except that all I can afford are junky computers. The best specs out of the 6 I have are on an old laptop I rescued from a friend and rolled a nice linux distro for.

PS:
    What was your first pc you used and what os was it-Old mac from 1992, one of the first laptops, Mac OS 7.1

What was the first pc you used and what os was it-What is the difference between this question and the previous one? If the difference is the "your," they are the same, because the first computer I used was eventually handed down from my dad and became my first computer.

What are your preivous computers and what os are they-My old mac, my only previous computer, is detailed above.

What is your current set of computers and what os are they-Acer Travelmate 2350, Arch Linux (Kernel 2.6.30.4-1); two horribly old dell dimensions, one running Arch Linux (Kernel 2.6.30.4-1), the other currently wiped; eMac G4, Mac OS X 10.4.11; Gateway Series E, LFS Build, may try 64 Studio instead; and finally, old Dell Latitude C510, Xubuntu 8.10 (the screen is cracked and unusable, tho, so mostly a brick for now).

There you have it.
    Last edited by Death By Bronzong; 08-04-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    Join my team, Bum Rush!
    Because it beats joining the army.

Watch It. Also, ban Luvdisc forever!

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post

Try These:

Microsoft Site

Wikipedia

It looks like Vista but runs better. Faster times,way better driver and software support. If you want to try it and know about dual-boots you could try the RC.

Credits

--Bump--

So, Anyone else care to post about their computers?

Credits

I got my first computer when I was about 9 or 10 it was a Packard Bell PC, I remember it having this huge monitor, and when we got it we didn't have a proper computer table to put it on so we used the boxes it came in as a computer table.

I had that for about 6 years, I remember when I first got the Internet for it, and I used to have to go and ask my parent if I could go on the, because when I did no one could phone us... Nightmare.

Then I got a new computer which was also Packard Bell, I think that had Windows 2000(was there a Windows 2000?) That only lasted about 2 years and then it blew up. Not like a bomb, the street didn't have to be cordened off or anything, it was just inside that blew up.

Then I had to get a new tower which was Packard Bell and it had XP. The wierd thing with the two past computers, was when it rained the Internet would go off, and my Internet provider at the time didn't have a clue why it was doing that. For some reason, school teachers never accepted the excuse "I couldn't do my homework because the Internet went off due to the rain".

Then 2 years ago on New Years Eve I got my beautiful laptop which sadly is
    dying, it has Vista and a terrible graphics card...

At the minute I'm looking for a Mac, well, I say looking, I know which one I want and where to get it but, I've not had time to get it yet...

One day Apple will rule the world!

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by lil_ash View Post
    I got my first computer when I was about 9 or 10 it was a Packard Bell PC, I remember it having this huge monitor, and when we got it we didn't have a proper computer table to put it on so we used the boxes it came in as a computer table.

I had that for about 6 years, I remember when I first got the Internet for it, and I used to have to go and ask my parent if I could go on the, because when I did no one could phone us... Nightmare.

Then I got a new computer which was also Packard Bell, I think that had Windows 2000(was there a Windows 2000?) That only lasted about 2 years and then it blew up. Not like a bomb, the street didn't have to be cordened off or anything, it was just inside that blew up.

Then I had to get a new tower which was Packard Bell and it had XP. The wierd thing with the two past computers, was when it rained the Internet would go off, and my Internet provider at the time didn't have a clue why it was doing that. For some reason, school teachers never accepted the excuse "I couldn't do my homework because the Internet went off due to the rain".

Then 2 years ago on New Years Eve I got my beautiful laptop which sadly is
    dying, it has Vista and a terrible graphics card...

At the minute I'm looking for a Mac, well, I say looking, I know which one I want and where to get it but, I've not had time to get it yet...

One day Apple will rule the world!
    There was Windows 2000. It could have been either Windows 2000 or Windows ME. They were both released in 2000.

And I remember Dial-up. So funny and horrible. LOL.

A world ruled by Apple.. More like a World run by Microsoft I don't want to be eating Apple's all the time. I would rather have Micro-Soft food

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Pikadude609 View Post
    There was Windows 2000. It could have been either Windows 2000 or Windows ME. They were both released in 2000.

And I remember Dial-up. So funny and horrible. LOL.

A world ruled by Apple.. More like a World run by Microsoft I don't want to be eating Apple's all the time. I would rather have Micro-Soft food
    It must have been Windows 2000.

Dial up was hurrendous. It did that dial tone thing, it would take about 3-4 attempts to get a connection. Then someone would ring up "who've you been on the phone to, I've been trying to phone you for three hours"

micro-soft food... I like it!

Credits
    Blog Entries

I never really had a comp that was mine until this one, which is 3 years old in January. We've had a few different comps, the oldest I can remember using was an old Mac which couldn't run the simplest of programs and its specs were measured mostly in kilobytes IIRC. I've been using a 98 and an XP since then, until I moved to my current one, XP Media Center Edition. The specs are as follows:
    Intel Celeron M CPU 420 @ 1.6 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    and then some crappy graphic drive... I'll get a new one later on, but if this can last me for a year and a half more, it'll be fitting well into my evil schemes.

Credits

I dont know the others, but the one i have now :
    Vista Home Premium (64-bit)
    Intel Pentium Dual CPU E222 @ 2.4 GHz
    5 Gigs Ram
    [4:50 PM] Bobbreeder: Well, Scizor dies to insertfirehere