View RSS Feed

*Insert Witty Title Here Plz*

Android: Netrunner

Rate this Entry
So since I do have a blog but I don't want to continue in the same vein as I used to, plus the fact that I don't have any of the new Pokemon games - I was trying to come up with something I could in fact blog about.

So.........

Anyone play Android: Netrunner?? If so, I'd love you play against you over the internet!

If not, I highly recommend you check it out. It's probably one of the most fun games I've played since Pokemon.

It's a Living Card Game. What this means is, unlike Collectible Card Games like Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon, you know exactly which cards you get when you buy the "core set" and any expansions. You don't have to keep buying "boosters" in hopes that you get that one card you really want, only to be disappointed. So it's not as much of a money sink. They do continually come out with expansions, though, which makes the game continue to evolve, or "live." But you are in no way required to purchase any of these. What cards you do have, though, allows you to build your deck. It's great because there are so many to choose from, and no maximum deck size; so you can really customize, really strategize, and every player's deck is different.

The game is set in a futuristic, cyberpunk world. "Cyberpunk" is similar to steampunk in that technology has taken over; only where steampunk is more Victorian, Industrial Revolution style, cyberpunk is more cybertronic, neon lights and bio-droid type stuff... Kind of like The Matrix but even cooler.

Basically, you can play as either the "Runner" or the "Corp." "Corp" is short for Corporation, and they are giant, powerful corporations that are running the show, in this futuristic dystopia. There are 4 different corps that you can play, and each has its own strengths based on what kind of corporation it is. The Runner, however, is basically a hacker that wants to take down the Corp, either for the good of mankind, or their own selfish gain, or just for fun to see if they can. Those three reasons are basically the ideas behind each "faction" of runners that you can play.

Which corp or runner you choose will determine which cards you can pick from to make your deck. You can, though, incorporate a small number of cards from other factions into your deck, which leads to even more ways to strategize and make your deck unique - take your opponent by surprise!

There are two ways for the Corp to win: killing the runner, or advancing their agendas (symbolizes getting their way in the world, like how in real life a big corporation can lobby for a law that benefits them). Runners can win by either stealing enough agendas from the Corp, or by making the Corp run out of cards in their deck (symbolizing the corp running out of resources with which to do their dirty deeds). And the whole game mimics a computer network; where the Corp is installing servers that host resources and agendas and protecting them with "ice" (think firewalls and virus killers), while the Runner is attacking with "icebreakers" (think viruses and other hacking programs).

Overall, the game just has so much customization and wit, that it's really hard to put down once you pick it up. The fact that every player's deck can be different, and then every expansion pack delivers a shakeup to the whole metagame means that the replayability is absolutely endless.

If anyone is looking for another game to add to your repertoire, I definitely suggest giving Android: Netrunner a whirl. (And if you do, let me know!! )

Submit "Android: Netrunner" to Digg Submit "Android: Netrunner" to del.icio.us Submit "Android: Netrunner" to StumbleUpon Submit "Android: Netrunner" to Google

Categories
Other games

Comments

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: