Thread: Here we go.

Credits

Default Here we go.

Ok this is the first team i am putting together with some thought. Any help would be appreciated. Also this team is for one of the gyms. Natures not sure which are the right ones. IV's (i'll save that for another team when i understand that better)

@ don't know yet EV's: Spd /Def 252 each.
    Ability:Volt Absorb
    1)Surf
    2)Thunderbolt
    3)Aquaring
    4)Psybeam

@ don't know EV's: Spd/Def 252 each
    Ability: Snow warning
    1)Ice beam
    2)Seed bomb
    3)Leech Seed
    4)Mist

@ don't know EV's: HP/Def 252 each
    Ability:
    1)Ice Punch
    2)Thunder Punch
    3)Fire Punch
    4)Close Combat

@ Don't know EV's: Sp Att/Speed
    Ability: Water Absorb
    1)Ice Beam
    2)Brine
    3)Thunderbolt
    4)Toxic

@ Don't know EV's: HP/ Sp Def 252 ea.
    Ability: Rivalry
    1)Toxic Spikes
    2)Stealth Rock
    3)Super Power
    4)Sunny Day

6)?????

Well folks thats my team. Do your damage.
    Note: Nidoqueeen is like my support system for the team. She sets it all up.
    Last edited by Pigen1; 03-12-2009 at 10:51 AM.
    <- Props to S tailor!

Pokemon Trainer Student Array wraithseer's Avatar
    Credits

You need to remember about abomasnow's ability. If he calls in hail and your only have lapras who can switch in and not take damage you need to think about your order of use in a battle.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Psychic4Life's Avatar
    Credits

Pretty good team but I have a few suggestions:
    -I understand why you taught Ludicolo rain dance because of swift swim, but solarbeam's power is weakened in the rain if you do use rain dance. Yes I do see Nidoqueen knowing sunny day, but I'm just saying about the solarbeam.

-Abomasnow is 2x weak to 6 types and is 4x weak to 1 type. I don't know if it would be a smart choice to have him on your team

-I also don't understand the psybeam on Lanturn
    Empty sig, saving people's scrolling time one sig at a time.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array
    Credits
    Blog Entries

ok why do you have a lanturn with illuminate when it should have volt absorb because illuminate has no effect in gym/regular battles. also get rid of brine and replace with surf. also get rid of brick break on ludicolo and put on surf so you have some water STAB.

Thanks Jolteon Forever for the Ghost Banner! and Trombones13 for the user bar and avatar!

Relic Gym Retiree/Super Moderator Array Dr. Narnad's Avatar
    Credits

I don't know which gym your going up against but one thing to keep in mind is the dual rule. Your team could be pretty well walled with some steel types and with a lot of moves doing 1/2 or 1/4 damage as well as little or no damage from the obstacles set out. So their poke will be hanging around out there for quite a bit of time.
    Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens.
    3DS XL Friend: 5086-2640-6669

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by wraithseer View Post
    You need to remember about abomasnow's ability. If he calls in hail and your only have lapras who can switch in and not take damage you need to think about your order of use in a battle.
    HMMM good point

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz109 View Post
    ok why do you have a lanturn with illuminate when it should have volt absorb because illuminate has no effect in gym/regular battles.
    well he's a shiny I hatched during breeding so i figured i would use him even though he didn't have volt absorb which was what i wanted. (Thought it would be cool if i beat the GYM leader)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic4Life View Post
    Pretty good team but I have a few suggestions:
    -I understand why you taught Ludicolo rain dance because of swift swim, but solarbeam's power is weakened in the rain if you do use rain dance. Yes I do see Nidoqueen knowing sunny day, but I'm just saying about the solarbeam.

-Abomasnow is 2x weak to 6 types and is 4x weak to 1 type. I don't know if it would be a smart choice to have him on your team

-I also don't understand the psybeam on Lanturn
    well i haven't taught him that yet this is all on paper so i can change what ever i want except my lapras and nidoqueen they are all ev'ed up. so bye bye rain dance! lol i had mist there b4 how about that?
    I dont really remember why i have him on my team but he's there and it made sense at the time.
    As for the psybeam it is a filler move any suggestions to take its place? If i did get rid of him who would u suggest to put in his place? if you want to know what GYM this is for PM me and i will tell you.

Narad i have no idea what you are talking with the whole wall stuff and dual type. can you break it down for me?
    <- Props to S tailor!

Forge Gym Leader/Tournament Director Array Jhamin's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Pigen1 View Post
    well he's a shiny I hatched during breeding so i figured i would use him even though he didn't have volt absorb which was what i wanted. (Thought it would be cool if i beat the GYM leader)
    Points for style. If you can pull it off, good for you. But Volt Absorb would be better in a battle.

Narad i have no idea what you are talking with the whole wall stuff and dual type. can you break it down for me?
    "Walling" basically means that a Pokemon can switch in & take any attack you can throw out. In a human vs. human battle you rarely have time to spend 20 turns wearing down something that you can barely hurt. Your team will have issues with Bronzong & Metagross. Both of which are fairly common "wall" pokemon.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Amos's Avatar
    Credits

The thing i was confused about this team was the broken synergy. With three pokemon knowing three different weather support moves, you're going to have a heck of a time keeping up the flow.
    May i suggest either: Singling out one weather support move and sticking to it with the team you have, and removing the other twos moves in placement of new ones that are aided by the weather, OR, Using one of the weather support moves and build the rest of your team around it.
    Either way, they're more effective. Plus, building on Narnad's point, you can be walled fairly easily by many steel, or, dual steel types which are very common, considering the only completely steel type is Mawile.
    If i was to make a suggestion, perhaps keep Nidoqueen as your weather setter with Sunny Day, remove Ludicolo, because really, he can't function as well without the rain, and perhaps placing a Fire type in its place? This way, you get the 50% boost to fire moves in the sun, and you can take out some of those pesky steel types.
    Hope i've helped. ^_^

Pearl FC: 3051 1530 3099

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Amos View Post
    The thing i was confused about this team was the broken synergy. With three pokemon knowing three different weather support moves, you're going to have a heck of a time keeping up the flow.
    May i suggest either: Singling out one weather support move and sticking to it with the team you have, and removing the other twos moves in placement of new ones that are aided by the weather, OR, Using one of the weather support moves and build the rest of your team around it.
    Either way, they're more effective. Plus, building on Narnad's point, you can be walled fairly easily by many steel, or, dual steel types which are very common, considering the only completely steel type is Mawile.
    If i was to make a suggestion, perhaps keep Nidoqueen as your weather setter with Sunny Day, remove Ludicolo, because really, he can't function as well without the rain, and perhaps placing a Fire type in its place? This way, you get the 50% boost to fire moves in the sun, and you can take out some of those pesky steel types.
    Hope i've helped. ^_^
    Yeah the ludiccolo was a last minute placement. Do you think my hitmochan with firepunch might have any effect on the steel types? On second thought i wont get the stab but i will get the boost from the sunny day. hmmmm gotta do some research.
    <- Props to S tailor!

Study EV spreads, and team roles. Remember that your pokemon need natures! And I would IV breed, otherwise this team will be unusable for the most part. The gyms are hard here, and the competition is tough.

@ Leftovers EV's: 40 HP / 136 SpA / 252 SpD / 80 Spe
    Ability:Volt Absorb
    Nature: Calm
    1)Surf
    2)Thunderbolt
    3)Thunder Wave
    4)Ice Beam
    Even if you do want to use a Lanturn, be advised that the following moves are useless: Aquaring, Psybeam. I'm not sure what you intended to do with 252 defense and 252 speed, as Lanturn's defensive strength is in special defense (also has good HP). 252 speed will not help lanturn much, and will certainly not let it outspeed sweepers. It's far better off using thunder wave and carrying only a modest 80 speed EVs. This way it can invest in special attack. Ice beam > Psybeam always. Calm nature to increase special defense, no aqua ring because it sucks.

@ Replace!

Abomanasnow's snow warning ability means that it should only be used on hail teams. It's pretty bad everywhere else. Also, hail hurts your entire team. Finally, using it breaks your UU team, since it isn't UU. Abomanasnow only hurts this team.

@ Choice Band/Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Expert Belt EV's: Varies, but definitely 252 Attack, and either 252 speed or 212 speed and 40 HP
    Ability: Iron Fist
    Nature: Adament
    1)Ice Punch/Stone Edge
    2)Thunder Punch/Mach Punch/Earthquake/Agility/Substitute
    3)Fire Punch/Mach Punch/Earthquake/Agility/Substitute
    4)Close Combat/Focus Punch

Many options here. If you want a straight sweep, pick 4 attacks, attach choice scarf or choice band, and you're good. Mach punch is worth consideration in combination with Close Combat (though probably not if you're using Choice Scarf). Agility is thrown on as an option because agility hitmonchans with life orb are cool. Earthquake and Stone Edge are just higher power alternatives to the punches. Finally, sub + focus punch is always an option. Do not dedicate yourself so much to 252/252 spreads, as they are often limiting. In this case, you picked 252 HP and Defense, which makes no sense because Hitmonchan is a sweeper. Remember, the goal of EV training is to further bolster strengths, not to bring weaknesses up to mediocre levels.

@ Leftovers EV's: 192 HP / 112 Def / 160 SpA / 44 SpD
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Nature: Modest
    1)Ice Beam
    2)Surf
    3)Thunderbolt
    4)Toxic

You're close on this one, except that lapras is too slow for speed EVs to be worthwhile (remember, accentuate strengths). In my opinion, having both lapras and lanturn is somewhat redundant, but it's your choice. Also, brine sucks.

@ Leftovers EV's: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def
    Ability: Poison Point
    Nature: Impish
    1)Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rock
    2)Earthquake
    3)Stone Edge
    4)Crunch/Protect

Nidoqueen needs to be a physical defender, because your team lacks them. Huge problem though. You wanted to use sunny day on a team with two water types and nothing to take advantage of sunny day. Why? Adjust accordingly.

6)?????

Well folks thats my team. Do your damage.
    Note: Nidoqueeen is like my support system for the team. She sets it all up.
    I know I put leftovers on three of your team, obviously, you'll have to change this for gym battles, so consider berries and shell bell as alternatives for the other two.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Death By Bronzong; 03-12-2009 at 11:09 PM.
    Join my team, Bum Rush!
    Because it beats joining the army.

Watch It. Also, ban Luvdisc forever!