Thread: #012 Butterfree

Credits
    Blog Entries

Arrow #012 Butterfree

#012 Butterfree

Butterfly Pokémon: It loves the honey of flowers and can locate flower patches that have even tiny amounts of pollen.

Ability:

• Compoundeyes:

• Raises the Pokémon’s accuracy by 30% and increases the chance of finding items on wild Pokémon.

Type: /

• Evolves from Metapod.

Weaknesses:
    x0.00
    /
    x0.25 / /
    x0.50 /
    x1.00 / / / / / / / /
    X2.00 / / / /
    X4.00 /

Base Stats
    HP: 60
    ATK: 45
    DEF: 50
    SP.ATK: 80
    SP.DEF: 80
    SPD: 70

Total:
    Key IVs: x / x / x / SP.ATK / SP.DEF / SPD

Support Bug
    Nature: Timid
    Ability:
    Compoundeyes
    Item: Leftovers/Focus Sash
    EVs:
    252 SPD / 192 SP.DEF / 64 SP.ATK

Move-set

• Sleep Powder/Stun Spore/ Poison Powder
    • Tailwind
    • Whirlwind
    • Bug Buzz

With the ability Compoundeyes Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and Poison Powder increase their accuracy from 75% to 97.5% Bug Buzz is a strong STAB attack, but only effective against Grass, Psychic, and Dark. Whirlwind is there to move out Pokémon that can harm Butterfree. Tailwind will increase your entire teams speed for 5 rounds.

If you go with Stun Spore or Poison Powder over Sleep Powder you can Stun or Poison and then Whirlwind your opponent out and start over. You could do it with Sleep Powder also, but only if a Sleep Clause is not in effect.

Choice Free
    Nature: Modest
    Ability:
    Compoundeyes
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
    EVs:
    252 SPD / 252 SP.ATK / 4 HP

Move-set

• Psychic
    • Bug Buzz
    • Gust
    • HP Ice/HP Fighting

HP Ice or HP Fighting can take care of Butterfree's threats. Bug Buzz for a strong STAB and Gust for other bugs and a 2nd STAB. Psychic again is for a strong coverage attack. The choice between Choice Specs and Scarf are dependent if you want extra damage or quicker attacking.

ZzzzFree
    Nature: Modest
    Ability:
    Compoundeyes
    Item: Big Root
    EVs:
    252 SPD / 252 SP.ATK / 4 HP

Move-set

• Sleep Powder
    • Dream Eater
    • Bug Buzz
    • Shadow Ball

Big Root will increase HP gained from Dream Eater by 30%. Sleep Powder is 30% more accurate with Compoundeyes. Bug Buzz is your STAB and it has a 10% chance to lower your Opponent's SP.DEF. Shadow Ball is for coverage and it also has a 10% chance to lower your Opponent's SP.DEF.
    Last edited by BugCatcher6; 06-23-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Pokemon Trainer Array WestCoastNinja's Avatar
    Credits

Im loving these movesets. Now I want a butterfree...
    BRAWL FC-2106-0417-7462
    XBL-WestCoastNinja7

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastNinja View Post
    Im loving these movesets. Now I want a butterfree...
    Actually I look at Smogon and Serebii and try to make mine completely different. Smogon and Serebii are good guides and good move-sets, but I like to be original. Compoundeyes makes Butterfree a great Pokemon in the NU tier, but Stealth Rock has hurt it's uses just like a lot of other Bug/Flying combos.

Butterfree also has a pretty good Physical Attack move pool and I should have listed the Sleep Powder U-Turn move-sets. I also like using Sleep Powder then Tailwind and then U-Turn. It puts your opponent to sleep and speeds up your team for 5 rounds and then lets you bring in something to finish off your sleeping opponent while getting in a small hit on the way out. Not that speed is important when your opponent is sleeping, but if by chance it wakes up early you are faster for a bit to make your move.

Torrent Gym Leader/Head Farmer Array Deneves's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the good writeup. I love Butterfrees, I only wish they were faster. They're great for game play with their compound eyes and ability to lay a status on pokemon you'd like to catch. I hate not being able to breed moves into their caterpies. Even with the sleep clause, putting the other teams opener to sleep and then paralyzing any switch-ins can set you up for a victory.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deneves View Post
    Thanks for the good writeup. I love Butterfrees, I only wish they were faster. They're great for game play with their compound eyes and ability to lay a status on pokemon you'd like to catch. I hate not being able to breed moves into their caterpies. Even with the sleep clause, putting the other teams opener to sleep and then paralyzing any switch-ins can set you up for a victory.
    A good point there. Butterfree is very good at being a double status inflicter. Which limits Butterfree's attacking, but with Sleep Clause in effect having a second status infliction is awesome.

Reason I did not write up for a double status inflicter is because that is what Smogon has on it's Strategy Dex.

Big Brother Array
    Credits
    Blog Entries

WOW! You described my butterfree in Leaf Green almost perfectly!

Sleep Powder
    Dream Eater
    Psychic
    Thief

He had to double as an item finder and special sweeper. He does a great job! Awesome setups Buzz!
    Swears make baby Bonsly cry.