Thread: #020 Raticate

Credits
    Blog Entries

Arrow #020 Raticate

#020 Raticate

Mouse Pokémon: It whittles its constantly growing fangs by gnawing on hard things. It can chew apart cinder walls.

Ability:

• Run Away:
      • Except for trainer battles, can always run from battle. Cannot run during Mean Look or Block or when the opponent is trapping with the Arena Trap, Magnet Pull, or Shadow Tag ability.

• Guts:

• Attack raises to 1.5 times when induced with a status (BURN, PARALYZE, SLEEP, POISON, FREEZE). BURN’s effect of lowering Attack is not applied.

Type:

• Evolves from Rattata
    • Routes 225 & 226

Weaknesses:
    X0 /
    x1 /
    / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
    x2 /

Base Stats
    HP:
    ATK: 81
    DEF: 60
    SP.ATK: 50
    SP.DEF: 70
    SPD: 97

Total: 413
    Key IVs: x / ATK/ x / x / x / SPD

Fire Raticate
    Nature: Jolly (+ SPD / - SP.ATK)
    Ability: Guts
    Item: Flame Orb
    EVs: 252 SPD / 252 ATK / 4 HP
    Move-set

• Sunny Day
    • Flame Wheel
    • Facade
    • Pluck

Raticate is one of the fastest Pokémon in the NU tier, so taking advantage of that and it's Guts ability should do some major damage. This is not a normal move-set, but in the NU tier it can do major damage to the Grass and Bug types. Sunny Day will power up your Flame Wheel and gives your Flame Orb a chance to activate. Flame Wheel your Grass and Bug opponents or Facade anything else. Pluck is on there to steal a berry boost or if by chance you use Raticate in the UU tier and it faces any Fighting Types.

F.E.A.R. Raticate
    Nature: Brave (+ ATK / - SPD)
    Item: Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 ATK / 252 SP.ATK / 4 HP
    Move-set

• Endeavor
    • Quick Attack
    • Super Fang
    • Roar

This is an old move-set and not really effective in the new Generation. With battles in Wi-Fi auto leveling you to 50 or 100, it is hard to keep your Raticate slower then your opponent or having it get OHKO for the Focus Sash to work. With Entry Hazards it makes it even harder to get this to work, unless you have a Rapid Spinner on your team. Also in higher tier battles you have to worry about weather effects.

Basic concept is to move last and have Focus Sash save you at 1 HP and then you use Endeavor to bring your opponent to 1 HP. You would then use Quick Attack to finish off your opponent. Although if your opponent has a quick attack of their own, you are in trouble.

Fanged Raticate
    Nature: Jolly (+ ATK / - SPD)
    Item: Salac Berry
    EVs: 244 SPD / 252 ATK / 14 HP
    Move-set

• Super Fang
    • Hyper Fang
    • Bite
    • Sucker Punch

Basically you would use Super Fang to get your opponent low in HP. Sucker Punch to quick attack to finish. Hyper Fang and Bite are there to Flinch slower opponents.

Pursuit Raticate
    Nature: Jolly (+ SPD / - SP.ATK)
    Ability: Guts
    Item: Flame Orb, Toxic Orb
    EVs: 252 SPD / 252 ATK / 4 HP
    Move-set

• Facade
    • Reversal
    • Taunt
    • Pursuit

Counter in another way for this build. Depending on how long you think you can keep Raticate alive will decide your Orb selection. If you expect 2-3 rounds, go with Toxic Orb. If you expect him to last longer use Flame Orb. Facade doubles in power with a status condition. Reversal incase you are not the fastest in the battle. Taunt + Pursuit is not Raticate's best use, but if you can come in and Taunt a Pokémon to force a switch, Pursuit will be powered up from the switch and Guts.
    Last edited by BugCatcher6; 05-19-2008 at 10:27 AM.

Credits
    Blog Entries

I know this is my first writeup and it is kinda weak, but nobody has any comments to build a better Raticate?

Well, I am just skimming, but F.E.A.R. as it stands gets owned by ghost types. Maybe replace a move with something to hit them.
    Join my team, Bum Rush!
    Because it beats joining the army.

Watch It. Also, ban Luvdisc forever!

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Death By Bronzong View Post
    Well, I am just skimming, but F.E.A.R. as it stands gets owned by ghost types. Maybe replace a move with something to hit them.
    The F.E.A.R. move-set was ruined with the auto leveling of Wi-Fi battles. I only included it as a retro move-set.

Forge Gym Leader/Tournament Director Array Jhamin's Avatar
    Credits

I might replace Sunny Day on the Flame Raticate with Swords Dance. It will work on the base attack rather than the move itself, but will still stack with guts and also helps out Facade.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jhamin View Post
    I might replace Sunny Day on the Flame Raticate with Swords Dance. It will work on the base attack rather than the move itself, but will still stack with guts and also helps out Facade.
    Sunny Day was also for removing any Sandstorm or Blizzard effects. Although Raticate should not be used in those situations he-he. Although I did not add that to the summary of that move-set. First one I wrote up and I missed a few things he-he.