Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiny Therapy (lol XD)

Pokemon Trainer Student Array
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Sorgatani
    Nak's Tip: Use the step counter application and the PP of your lead pokemon as a guide to how many pokemon you've KO'd.

I think this works because it takes focus away from the chain so I remain calmer when chaining this way. I use the step counter method when chaining for EV points.
    *Counting PP does not work if the pokemon you are chaining have the Pressure ability, but it works for most lower-level pokemon.
    make sure if you count pp, you figure in if an attack misses.

Quote Originally Posted by lvl100 View Post
    I really want to be able to chain water types. I wonder...
    i'm pretty sure you can chain golduck and krabby. and i'm sure there's some other water types that are chainable.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Timmy.

@ lvl100: There are a good amount of chainable Water-types, Shellos/Gastrodon and Psy/Golduck being some of them. Krabby and Corsola show up as swarms. =D
    It's been great, PokeFarm. I'll miss you. I'm on AIM if you ever need me. =)

This line is for Shiny Lucario. ~ ~
    >This line is for belnumcree.
    >>This line is for WestCoastNinja.
    >>>This line is for cisco.
    >>>>This line is for joinred1127.
    >>>>>This line is for razorbeam.
    >>>>>>This line is for Babael and Paws_Of_Fate.
    >>>>>>>This line is for Cherkat, nana nettie, Viscosity, HMTKSteve, and toys4life. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>> This line is for Death By Bronzong, Fautor Animus, and puffdaddy. ♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>This line is for timmyeatsfood, pokemasterSD, Trombones13, pikaluva13, and Taurosdude15. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>This line is for juaco, nagib_253, Achates, noodleboy1011, and DescipleOfDeathx. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>This line is for all my AC:WW friends in PokeFarm, specifically plusletrainer and nickgamer10. ♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>>This line is for the rest of my friends here in PokeFarm, you know who you are.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>celph77, wherever you went... This line's for you. ♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Same with you, andyc15 and soccergurl22.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gamegeezer, I'll see you on Voice Chat like usual. XD

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Floatzel are chainable also, they're also fantastic for EV training higher-level pokemon - floatzel is worth 2 speed EVs. Another advantage to shiny floatzels is that shiny ones are Gold instead of Orange ^_^ It is almost impossible to mistake a shiny one for a regular one.

Regular and Shiny floatzels

For chaining, sometimes it is important to bring along the right pokemon for the job - this is where abilities and levels come into play. For regular low-level pokemon (under 15 and relatively harmless abilities) I use a level 35 Kricketune - he has Cut (maxed out PP) Sing, False Swipe and X-Scissor. He is pretty much an all-in-one chainer, I don't even have to use leppa berries on him most of the time. I'm in the process of training up a Gallade with Mean Look and Hypnosis to take over from the kricketune. When he's trained up, he will have Mean Look, Hypnosis, False Swipe and maxed out Cut or Psycho Cut.
    For the higher level pokemon (still with relatively harmless abilities), I have a level 100 linoone with Covet. Covet is a great chaining move; it has 40PP by default and 64PP when maxed out. I have stolen several lucky eggs this way!

If you are using a linoone, especially one with Pick Up, remember to check it frequently for held items. I usually check mine every time my repel runs out.

For chaining pokemon with potentially harmful abilities (static and poison point for example) bring a pokemon with either an immune ability (Limber for static; Immunity or poison type for poison point) or a pokemon with a special/non-contact attack (which might require you to use PP-restoring items, not that there should be a problem if you grow lots of Leppa berries).

I think everyone starts chaining as pathetic wannabes. It is something that I have only improved on with practice. Don't be too hard on yourself when your chains break, treat it as practice - and take a break if you're feeling angry or tired.

One other thing that is good to do if you are trying to chain a specific pokemon: Save straight after using the Max/Super Repel, before you use the radar - soft reset if the pokemon you find is not what you're looking for or if the chain breaks early.
    Last edited by Sorgatani; 04-03-2008 at 02:03 AM.
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

Mana Gym Leader Array Slizer107's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I once got a chain to 40, on summin like 36 i got a shiny spoink, 41 i got another shiny but i killed it =( then cos i was so upset i didnt think and broke my chain.
    Use to be the site pest, the a gym leader and at times both!
    I would say I am an old member... but I joined when I was 12, so 6 years down the line I am only 18...

Big Brother Array
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I decided I want to chain dittos and get a shiny are there any tips, I figured that was a good starting area. Also, how do I know when I see a shiny spot of grass? I've watched the youtube videos so many times Im not sure I even noticed a difference. Or is it something when you see it you know?
    Swears make baby Bonsly cry.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaTesla View Post
    I decided I want to chain dittos and get a shiny are there any tips, I figured that was a good starting area. Also, how do I know when I see a shiny spot of grass? I've watched the youtube videos so many times Im not sure I even noticed a difference. Or is it something when you see it you know?
    When you see it you will recognize it without a doubt. It is like... sparks coming out of the grass, it lasts a split second longer than the other shaking grasses, it kind of... glimmers. It's hard to describe exactly, but you will know it when you see it.

Good luck!

Oh.. and I think pokeradar-exclusive pokemon (like ditto/ralts for example) are more often in bright flashy grass - that has been my experience anyway.
    Last edited by Sorgatani; 04-03-2008 at 08:27 AM.

Credits
    Blog Entries

@ Tani: Excellent advice! Thanks! I have a lvl 100 Meowth with Pick-up and Thief. I love looting. =D

@ slizer: I know how you feel! I was chaining Gloom, and I had a shiny @ 34... Then I accidentally hit Flamethrower. TT-TT And worst of all, my chain messed up too! I think the best thing to do is to walk away and take a break instead of getting mad at your DS. Really XD And since you've reached 40, don't give up! Keep trying! =D

@ NTesla: Hi! =D Funny how my first caught shiny while chaining is Ditto! XD Well, if it helps... I have a Brelooom that I used for that. The two most helpful moves Breloom had were Spore and Mach Punch. Mach Punch away up to 40, that way you can OHKO the Dittos before they use Transform. And when you're done, start using Spore on your shinies and capture them. =D I'm not sure if Breloom can learn False Swipe... I battle with it, so I never really have thought about placing False Swipe on it... >_>

Also, shiny patches... Hmm, how do I describe it. I saw it described in one of the guides as a "pulsing" sort of glimmer. To me it sorta looks like the sparkle on the shiny Badges here. Hope that helps! And good luck on chaining! =D

>>>>>>>This line is for Cherkat, nana nettie, Viscosity, HMTKSteve, and toys4life. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>This line is for timmyeatsfood, pokemasterSD, Trombones13, pikaluva13, and Taurosdude15. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>This line is for juaco, nagib_253, Achates, noodleboy1011, and DescipleOfDeathx. ♥♥♥♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>This line is for all my AC:WW friends in PokeFarm, specifically plusletrainer and nickgamer10. ♥♥
    >>>>>>>>>>>>This line is for the rest of my friends here in PokeFarm, you know who you are.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaTesla View Post
    here's a video with a clear picture of a shiny patch: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9f2maA2VQCA
    and you'll know when you see a shiny patch.

also, i think a swarm pokemon might be an easier pokemon to begin chaining with. dittos are kind of rare in the grass, so it's easier for it to break your chain (i know because ditto was my first pokemon i chained).

more advice: if you think you see a shiny patch of grass directly behind your character (the patch you can barely see) then i would highly recomend NOT going there. i've had many chains brake because i did this.

edit: for anyone chaining dittos, when you do find a shiny ditto, send in a caterpie or magikarp so it will transform into one of those. from my experiences, it will take on the catch rate of the pokemon it transforms into.
    Last edited by timmyeatsfood; 04-03-2008 at 09:08 AM.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timmyeatsfood View Post
    here's a video with a clear picture of a shiny patch: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9f2maA2VQCA
    and you'll know when you see a shiny patch.
    Oooh, nice. A lot of the other Youtube cids are kinda crummy. >_< I'll add this to the Guides. Thanks! =D

also, i think a swarm pokemon might be an easier pokemon to begin chaining with. dittos are kind of rare in the grass, so it's easier for it to break your chain (i know because ditto was my first pokemon i chained).
    OMG like, me toooo! Air huuuug! XD

more advice: if you think you see a shiny patch of grass directly behind your character (the patch you can barely see) then i would highly recomend NOT going there. i've had many chains brake because i did this.
    Dude, I know what you mean. So tempting... >_<

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timmyeatsfood View Post
    for anyone chaining dittos, when you do find a shiny ditto, send in a caterpie or magikarp so it will transform into one of those. from my experiences, it will take on the catch rate of the pokemon it transforms into.
    Hehe.. yep, my favorite trick: Send in Kricketune then use a Net Ball on Ditto :P