Thread: Effort Values FTW

Putting young whipper snappers into place since 1882. Array belnumcree's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Default Effort Values FTW

“So your curious about EVs huh” Belnum inquired as he sits down in his comfy chair. “Sure, I’ll try and explain them.”

“Of course I’ll try to be as clear as possible, wouldn’t want any whippersnappers confused now would we?” Belnum says crossly in the way that Nak always causes.

Some things to know
    EVs are Effort Values or Effort Points as they were previously referred to as.

They are a hidden stat much like IVs, except you can control them a bit easier.
    (For more info on IVs check out Bugcatcher’s So you want to be a Master Breeder.)

You can get EVs in each of the 6 stats.
    • HP
    • Att
    • Def
    • Sp Att
    • Sp Def
    • Speed

Every 4 EVs in a stat gives that Pokemon 1 stat point bonus.

Each stat can get a maximum of 255 EVs.

Belnum looks up and sees everyone moving toward the door. “Now wait just a minute I’m not done. Before you get carried away here, you can’t have 255 in each stat.”

You can only give a Pokemon a maximum of 510 EVs. Yes I know 510 isn’t divisible by 4, so the useful number is 508. Therefore a maxed stat only needs to be 252.

An EV spread refers to what EVs are given in each stat. And are usually written like this.

252 HP / 4 Att / 252 Def

“Lemme see if you max out two stats 252+252 equals….. carry the one subtracted from the square root of the tangent” *mumbles* “Ahem, sorry bout that.”

So if you decide to max two stats you will have 504, which leaves an extra 4 for something else. Though, for expediency, if you don’t want to worry about the singe stat point, you could always just max two out at 255.
    Last edited by belnumcree; 02-25-2008 at 02:21 PM.
    Extremely ancient and decrepit retired Boulder Gym Leader....Thanks Vis for the new card. *looks at new user title* Stay off my lawn

Credits
    Blog Entries

Where do I get them?
    EVs are obtained in two ways. One is Vitamins, and any battle which your Pokemon gains experience from. This means that anytime your Pokemon gains experience, it also gains EVs.

Vitamins give your Pokemon 10 EVs in a particular Stat. A maximum of 10 Vitamins can be used on a single stat. So a maximum of 100 EVs in a the respective stat.

• HP Up – Kinda obvious, but this increases HP EVs
    • Protein – Increases Attack EVs
    • Zinc – Increases Defense EVs
    • Calcium – Increases Special Attack EVs
    • Iron – Increases Special Defense EVs
    • Carbos – Increases Speed EVs

“Where do I get these wonderful items you say? Well give me a dang minute and I’ll get to it.”

They are available as a Battle Tower prize for 1 BP or in the Veilstone City Department store for $9,800.

* Tip : A method I use to load up on money. Outside the Pokemon Mansion south of Hearthome City There are a couple Gentleman Jeremy (has a Chatot) and Socialite Raina (has a Roselia). After capturing/defeating Heatran their Pokemon become Level 60 and defeating them while holding the Amulet Coin will give you $24,000.

Battling
    • Each pokemon gives at least one EVs in at least one stat.
    • Higher evolution pokemon give higher EVs
    • Any pokemon that gains experience gains EVs (including exp share and switching out)
    • EVs aren't split. If a pokemon gives one speed EV then every pokemon that gains exp from the battle gets one speed EV (There are a few exceptions.)
    Extremely ancient and decrepit retired Boulder Gym Leader....Thanks Vis for the new card. *looks at new user title* Stay off my lawn

Credits
    Blog Entries

Ways to increase EVs recieved.

Pokerus
    Pokerus is a virus that doubles the EVs recieved
    • Bidoof gives 1 HP EV with PKRS you'd get 2 HP EVs
    • 2x1=2

Macho Brace
    Macho brace is a hold item that doubles EVs recieved.
    • Bidoof gives 1 HP EV with Macho Brace you'd get 2 HP EVs
    • 2x1=2
    • Bidoof gives 1 HP EV with PKRS and Macho Brace you'd get 4 HP EVs
    • 2x2x1=4

Power Items
    There is a power item for each stat. They are hold items that increase the EV gain by 4 points, but make the pokemon slower (not permanent). They are available in the battle tower for 16 BP each.
    • Power Weight - Increases HP EVs gained
    • Power Brace- Increases Att EVs gained
    • Power Belt - Increases Def EVs gained
    • Power Lens - Increases Sp Att EVs gained
    • Power Band - Increases Sp Def EVs gained
    • Power Anklet -Increases Speed EVs gained

Bidoof gives 1 HP EV with Power Weight you'd get 5 HP EVs
    4+1=5
    Bidoof gives 1 HP EV with PKRS and Power Weight you'd get 10 HP EVs
    2(4+1)=10

Edit: Useful tip - Just got an update from Shiny Lucario. Seems that when training with the Power Items, the + 4 is there regardless of what your training for.
    ex Bidoof gives 1 HP EV, with the Power Anklet you'd get 1 HP EV and 4 Speed EV's, and with PKRS you'd get 2 and 8 respectively.
    Last edited by belnumcree; 02-26-2008 at 10:48 AM.

Credits
    Blog Entries

EV spots I use
    These are my favorite places to train for EVs, some use VS Seeker.
    • HP- Cowgirl Shelly - Below daycare center on left 5 Bidoof around level 15 for 1 HP EV each with PKRS and Power Weight thats 10 each.
    • Att- Fisherman Miguel (Need Surf)- To the right of Canalave City go north from the grassy patch where you find Ditto. As soon as you see the water on your right Surf around the corner where two fisherman are standing. The one to the South has 2 Gyarados. I think the level changes, but the max is 50. 2 Att EVs each. With PKRS and Power Brace thats 12 each.

*EDIT* I like the one Nak recommended, it's much easier to use so I'm updating.
    • Att - Fly to Sunyshore City, bike west and you'll see 5 fishermen. Battle the one at the VERY left, he will also have 2 Gyarados, summing up with the same EVS.

• Def- I usually go to Iron Island or the cave to the Left of Oreburgh City. Oreburgh City cave has low level Geodudes for 1 Def EV each, Iron Island has around level 30 Gravelers (2 Def EVs), Onyx (1 Def EV), and I think Geodude.
    • SpAtt- Scientist Shaun (Need Cut)- Route 212 South West of Pastoria City. Use cut on the first patch on the south. Pull out you bike and ride up till you come to a clearing. He has 2 Alakazam (depending on when you meet him max is level 50) for 3 Sp Att EVs each. With Pkrs and Power Lens thats 14 Sp Att EVs each.
    • SpDef- Ninja Boy Davido (Need Defog)- Route 210 east of Celestic Town. Kinda hard to describe how to get to him, but not hard to find. He has a Dustox (level 29 i think) for 3 Sp Def EVs. With PKRS and Power Band thats 14 Sp Def EVs.
    • Speed- Fisherman Andrew - Route 205 west of Eterna City. He's the second fisherman you'll come to. He has 6 Magikarp at level 10 for 1 Speed EV each. With PKRS and Power Anklet its 10 Speed EVs each.
    (A lot of these I originally found in Alexcalibur3000's "Pokemon Diamond and Pearl EV Training Hotspot Guide")

For a more complete listing of EVs see Bugcatcher’s Which Pokemon Give Which EVs

"Alright there it is."........................... "Um why aren't you training your Pokemon already" lol

If there's anything I missed/you'd like to see/needs clarification please let me know, and feel free to post questions or comments.
    Last edited by belnumcree; 02-25-2008 at 06:23 PM.

Credits
    Blog Entries

A couple of things. Seems i forgot to add how to get rid of unwanted EVs. lol

Berries
    • Pomeg Berry: -10 HP EVs
    • Kelpsy Berry: -10 Attack EVs
    • Qualot Berry: -10 Defense EVs
    • Hondew Berry: -10 Sp. Attack EVs
    • Grepa Berry: -10 Sp. Defense EVs
    • Tamato Berry: -10 Speed EVs
    (*source Arkeis.com)

Edit: Something I forgot to mention about berries. If your EV's are over 100 then the Berries will lower the EV's to 100. Then will decrease them in increments of 10. (Thanks Jhamin for remindind me.)

And some good training spots Nak mentioned.

• Att - Fly to Sunyshore City, bike west and you'll see 5 fishermen. Battle the one at the VERY left, he will also have 2 Gyarados, summing up with the same EVS.
    • Def - Once you collect all the Unown, go to Ruin Maniac south of Veilstone City, the cave he digs up will have ONLY Geodude and Hippopotas, both giving 1 EV each. More consistent.
    • Sp Att - Go to south of Veilstone City, the fat guy (Collector XD) close to the Spring Path (where Giratina is) has 3 Roselia, giving you 6 EVs in Sp. Stk. or a grand total of 36 EVs for Sp. Atk. with PKRS and Power Lens.
    • Sp Def - Surf around the north of Sunyshore to get Sp. Def. EVs from Tentacruel (+2) or Mantyke (+1)

Attack Training spot recommended by Jhamin.

Att - If you want to train Attack EVs quickly, the quickest method I have found is to fish with the Super Rod on route 229 (north of the Resort Area but south of the blowing sands.

If you fish with a Super rod you will only catch Gyrados. Makes it quick and consistant to train up your Attack. (you need to beat exactly 21 of them with Pokerus and the Power Item to max out attack)
    Last edited by belnumcree; 12-12-2008 at 12:31 PM.