Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 long years.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Viperizer's Avatar
    Credits

Default 5 long years.

Hey everyone! I’m so incredibly happy to see this familiar green webpage again after 5 long years! I was honestly just wanting to catch up with everyone so what have you all been doing in the past 5 years??
    "He Just lost it."
    "Who?"
    "The Man In Charge."

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

A long time ago, the move to facebook was imminent. I didn't have anything against facebook, but I was fearful and pessimistic - I thought fear of missing out shouldn't dictate I join.
    What I should have realised, was that it was an opportunity to get to know my fellow pokefarmers better, and stay in touch when the forums eventually went down.

So... what has happened in the last 5 years?
    Here's a few highlights.

In 2014, the place I worked closed down. The business had been failing for some time, and I regret not leaving sooner - I value what I learned, but that place had been killing my soul for years.
    About a month after that job ended, I began volunteering at a local charity's opportunity shop, which I still do, outside of illness, injury and study.

I broke my arm in 2016; I hadn't had a broken arm before. Not fun. I don't recommend it.

I went to the Australian DiscWorld Convention in 2017, I mention this because it is a large part of why I finally joined facebook - it was the only way to keep in touch with my new friends, and why I chose my facebook name.

In 2018, I started studying disability support by correspondence. I'm still studying it.

I helped organise the Australian DiscWorld Convention in 2019; that was how much of an impact that the 2017 one had on me. I was in charge of merchandise. So many Skype phone calls, so much fun. I was able to transfer many skills from my charity shop work, but I'm glad someone else gets to do it in 2021; I definitely plan to attend again!

There are times I wonder how much I've changed from 5 years ago, and I think the main thing is that I'm a little bit more confident off-screen now. I still haven't written anything I'm ready to share, but I have made more friends.

What else hasn't changed? Well... I don't want to jinx it, but I have been happily partnered up for almost 10 years now - engaged since 2011, though we hate weddings, so don't expect that any time soon. No kids at this point, but who knows what the future holds
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

Putting young whipper snappers into place since 1882. Array belnumcree's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Dang Tani, you've been busy.

I don't know that there's much to tell for me. My inner comic geek has been loving the MCU... found a formerly unknown love for sci fi novels.

Whippersnappers have been more respectful of my lawn in recent years.
    Extremely ancient and decrepit retired Boulder Gym Leader....Thanks Vis for the new card. *looks at new user title* Stay off my lawn

Circuit Gym Assistant Array Killerjeff88's Avatar
    Credits

Its good to be back!!!

Tani hope your arm has recovered well...

I had a similar incident where I torn my Meniscus, ACL and MCL on my right knee last year from sports training.
    Dont recommend it as well. Its been a of 6 months.

These few years I have been actively working out and gaming at the same time (waiting for Sword & Shield. Yamper OMFG!)
    Definitely miss our farm breeding and battling tho.

Credits
    Blog Entries

I feel your pain, I did the something similar to my left knee in a car accident. While recovering I got back into Pokemon and found PokeFarm in the process. Long recovery, with my injury the doctors were not sure how I would be afterwards. The doctor never saw damage like mine before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjeff88 View Post
    Its good to be back!!!

Tani hope your arm has recovered well...

I had a similar incident where I torn my Meniscus, ACL and MCL on my right knee last year from sports training.
    Dont recommend it as well. Its been a of 6 months.

These few years I have been actively working out and gaming at the same time (waiting for Sword & Shield. Yamper OMFG!)
    Definitely miss our farm breeding and battling tho.

5 years is it? Well I'm 40 now, yikes. I lost a great job, downsizing. I went to college. I now have an Associate's degree in Business. I am now working on my Bachelor's. My 5 year plan isn't going the way I planned, but the end goal is the same. I am working on starting my own business. I could rant all day on that, but I'll ease everyone back into that. haha

I have also been trying to get into streaming. I have a lot of ideas for that, but just lack confidence right now.

The forum coming back might be a good way to get things rolling. I know Shawn and I have been talking about making a video game for a long time, but it always seems like we have two directions we want to take the game. Maybe with a forum we could use the collective minds to forge something of our own here.

VGC is going to be changing with the release of SWSH. I have always wanted to get into that, but lack being able to practice with actual feedback. We could bring in an audience with streaming events. A community designed video game would be awesome.

Endless possibilities here. I'm not sure how well the forum could do purely as a Pokemon forum. Already three major sites dedicated to that, Smogon, Serebii, and Nugget Bridge. All with their own niche. Smogon and Showdown, Serebii and their early Pokemon news feeds, and Nugget Bridge with their VGC database.

One thing none of those forums have is farm events. It is basically a collection of clones and distribution rights for said clones.

Streaming I think could bring in new members, not just for Pokemon. I have an El Gato streaming device, so I can stream on the Switch and PlayStation 4. I wish I could stream on the 3DS.

Oh I am ranting again, I guess it is rambling now that I am older. Let me wrap it up, streaming and VGC. 2020 VGC Worlds is in London. I want to be the oldest Champion. haha

She Will, She Will, Rock You Array Sorgatani's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Thankfully I recovered enough to be functional, but it still twinges every so often, and if I carry heavy things or hold my arm/wrist palm-up for too long (I broke my right distal radius and one or two of the tiny bones at the base of my hand), it aches or feels awkward.
    I'm working on rebuilding my grip strength, and I have also been doing group fitness sessions a few times a week these last 2 years. It is satisfying to have physical activity in my routine! I will also say that I'm not in shape, but my stamina has improved.

I tried my hand at streaming a few months back, but I didn't have everything set up properly, so it didn't quite work out.
    I think I'd need another monitor if I was to give it a real go.
    I have Twitch, I have Steam, I have a functional microphone. I even have the occasional urge to talk to myself...

I'm so happy to hear from other people too!
    Credit for Michigan Toed image goes to thefuriousangel
    Credit for Jester Politoed image goes to N0t2f34r
    Sorgatani's Pokemon Collection

Pokemon League Judge Array HMTKSteve's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I have dabbled with streaming: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC55...ZLHUlcvC2ogEXg

Honestly, I lack free time.

Big Brother Array
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Let's see TLDR;

Get House, Get Married, Have kid now 7 year old, Work, Work, Work, Get New Job Discover Free Time

Explore online venues to make income currently working on ecourse
    Swears make baby Bonsly cry.

Pokemon League Judge Array HMTKSteve's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I like looking at the bottom of this thread and seeing who has read it.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Let's see, five years ago, I was back living with my parents after college graduation, so since then: I've been working as a front-end web developer at a consulting agency since July 2015. Most of our clients are in Michigan – if you've used the Detroit airport's website in the past year, I worked on that one – but we have clients scattered throughout most of the country. It was actually PokeFarm where I first started learning web development skills that I now use every day! Take that, anyone who said I spent too much time here as a teenager.

Otherwise...I'm as boring as ever, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by NikolaTesla View Post
    Discover Free Time
    Can't relate to this one, though!