View Poll Results: Should Forecast be Spawn I's secondary or hidden ability?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Forecast - Secondary Ability, no Hidden

0 0%
  • Forecast - Secondary Ability, add a Hidden

2 25.00%
  • Forecast - Hidden Ability no secondary

6 75.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poké Academy: Spawn I Secondary Ability

Credits
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Poké Academy: Spawn I Secondary Ability

So we had 1 submission for Spawn I's primary ability.

Recap on Spawn I

Concept: Alpha Weather Pokémon

Concept: "Alpha Weather Pokémon"
    Description: A Pokémon that can fit into any weather team and be a weather starter.
    Justification: With the lack of weather starting Pokémon, be it auto or manual, a multi-weather Pokémon would be amazing.
    Questions To Be Answered:

• Could one Pokémon survive in all weather conditions?
    • What would this Pokémon do other then weather?
    • Can an ultimate weather Pokémon boost some lesser-used Pokémon play ability?
    • Would this Pokémon do anything once the weather is gone?
    • Would one weather still dominate over the others?

Explanation: A Pokémon that could fill the role of weather starter on multiple teams would change how the rest of your team could act without having to rely on multiple Pokémon to auto-start or manually start the weather for your team. Being able to start weather and retreat to start again would be the goal and trick of this Pokémon.

Type: Steel
    Ability 1:
    Squall

Ability Description: Changes Type and Ability to match held rock.

Detailed Description: Squall is hard coded to only work for Spawn I. The wielder changes its type on switching in depending on the Rock held—each Rock corresponds to a different ability also. The wielder is immune to all item removal effects, so long as it is holding a Rock: Covet, Knock Off, Switcheroo, Thief, and Trick. If the wielder is not currently holding a Rock, it cannot be given one by means of Bestow, Switcheroo, or Trick. This ability can't be copied, replaced, or changed by Mummy, Role Play, Skill Swap, Trace, or similar effects. It cannot be suppressed by Gastro Acid or Worry Seed.

Ability Changes: The following changes happen while Spawn I is a holding a Stone.

• Smooth Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Sand Stream and type is changed to Steel/Rock

• Damp Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Drizzel and type is changed to Steel/Water

• Heat Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Drought and type is changed to Steel/Fire

• Icy Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Snow Warning and type is changed to Steel/Ice

So now we need to decide if Spawn I will get a secondary ability, a Hidden Ability, or just it's primary ability.

If you have a suggestion please also note if it is a secondary or hidden ability.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Slimjim367's Avatar
    Credits

Perhaps you'll agree with me in thinking that this idea for an ability would be somewhat broken, but what if like protean, this pokemon could change the weather if it used a move of the appropriate type?

Just throwing the idea out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    So we had 1 submission for Spawn I's primary ability.

Recap on Spawn I

Concept: Alpha Weather Pokémon

Concept: "Alpha Weather Pokémon"
    Description: A Pokémon that can fit into any weather team and be a weather starter.
    Justification: With the lack of weather starting Pokémon, be it auto or manual, a multi-weather Pokémon would be amazing.
    Questions To Be Answered:

• Could one Pokémon survive in all weather conditions?
    • What would this Pokémon do other then weather?
    • Can an ultimate weather Pokémon boost some lesser-used Pokémon play ability?
    • Would this Pokémon do anything once the weather is gone?
    • Would one weather still dominate over the others?

Explanation: A Pokémon that could fill the role of weather starter on multiple teams would change how the rest of your team could act without having to rely on multiple Pokémon to auto-start or manually start the weather for your team. Being able to start weather and retreat to start again would be the goal and trick of this Pokémon.

Type: Steel
    Ability 1:
    Squall

Ability Description: Changes Type and Ability to match held rock.

Detailed Description: Squall is hard coded to only work for Spawn I. The wielder changes its type on switching in depending on the Rock held—each Rock corresponds to a different ability also. The wielder is immune to all item removal effects, so long as it is holding a Rock: Covet, Knock Off, Switcheroo, Thief, and Trick. If the wielder is not currently holding a Rock, it cannot be given one by means of Bestow, Switcheroo, or Trick. This ability can't be copied, replaced, or changed by Mummy, Role Play, Skill Swap, Trace, or similar effects. It cannot be suppressed by Gastro Acid or Worry Seed.

Ability Changes: The following changes happen while Spawn I is a holding a Stone.

• Smooth Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Sand Stream and type is changed to Steel/Rock

• Damp Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Drizzel and type is changed to Steel/Water

• Heat Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Drought and type is changed to Steel/Fire

• Icy Rock
      • Spawn I's ability becomes Snow Warning and type is changed to Steel/Ice

So now we need to decide if Spawn I will get a secondary ability, a Hidden Ability, or just it's primary ability.

If you have a suggestion please also note if it is a secondary or hidden ability.
    3DS Friend Code: 0662-2766-6216
    IGN: Jamie
    My safari type is Fighting and the pokemon are: Pancham, Machoke, Tyrogue

White 2 FC: 2151 7122 0017
    I have game in every generation; if anyone wants anything female in one of Kurt's Apricorn Balls from Soul Silver to breed - Let me know!

Credits
    Blog Entries

So instead of holding a stone to change the weather, which could only be one weather per battle, with no defense boost from say Assault Vest, no attack boost from say choice band/specs or life orb, no healing bonus from Left Overs, or any berry effects, using moves like Surf would change the weather to rain, Flamethrower to change it to sun, and so on? Thatwou ld make a huge move pool and almost overpowering with a move pool of Mew.

I think the way this ability is it sets the Pokémon in the mindset of Arceus, but not as dominant since the rocks change the secondary type, grants no attack bonus like Arceus and the Plates, also only adds in weakness from the type change, and keeps the move-set geared towards the weather it is working in, since it would not get STAB bonus on moves that counter it's weakness.

Like the Steel/Fire type in the sun while holding a Heat Rock. Now in the sun all fire attacks will see a boost, making the Steel/Fire typing weak to that power boosted Fire attacks. However Spawn I could potentially have water attacks do to it being able to be Steel/Water, but water attacks have their damage cut in half in the sun.

So to me while being stuck in 1 weather type for a battle, it actually handicaps Spawn I a little with NON-STAB attacks, adding weakness with the secondary type being adding, and taking away the chance to use other items.

Dust Devil Gym Leader Array Alirrath's Avatar
    Credits

Why not make him have an Auto-random weather ability ^.^
    0018 - 1785 - 1310

Alirrath

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alirrath View Post
    Why not make him have an Auto-random weather ability ^.^
    Because in the week that the primary ability thread was up, this was the only ability submitted.

I can't do things without threads and polls or it becauses Buzz makes a Pokémon.

Just like now, this thread is a collection for a Secondary Ability and/or Hidden Ability and none have been mentioned. It has become a discussion how the only ability that has been submitted is too overpowering.

I don't see it being overpowering.

Although if our PokéFarm Showdown server got fixed and then had the Spawns added, we could test our Spawns out to see how good they are.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array GoldChico's Avatar
    Credits

I don't know if this is going to happen, but since it's going to change its type acording to the stone we might have different sprites to match the new types.

How about Forecast as a Hidden Ability? If it's going to change it's sprite anyway and it can fit on any weather also with this ability.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Slimjim367's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post

Just like now, this thread is a collection for a Secondary Ability and/or Hidden Ability and none have been mentioned. It has become a discussion how the only ability that has been submitted is too overpowering.
    Just to clarify: I was proposing a secondary or hidden ability before.

And I wasn't calling squall overpowered, but I was calling the protean-ability-idea dangerously broken sounding even as I proposed it.

Also, I like the idea of Forecast being a hidden or Secondary ability!
    So that Spawn 1 either creates and regulates the weather, or is just viable on any type of weather team!
    3DS Friend Code: 0662-2766-6216
    IGN: Jamie
    My safari type is Fighting and the pokemon are: Pancham, Machoke, Tyrogue

White 2 FC: 2151 7122 0017
    I have game in every generation; if anyone wants anything female in one of Kurt's Apricorn Balls from Soul Silver to breed - Let me know!

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slimjim367 View Post
    Just to clarify: I was proposing a secondary or hidden ability before.

And I wasn't calling squall overpowered, but I was calling the protean-ability-idea dangerously broken sounding even as I proposed it.

Also, I like the idea of Forecast being a hidden or Secondary ability!
    So that Spawn 1 either creates and regulates the weather, or is just viable on any type of weather team!

I think with Squall being the primary, a Hidden Ability would be the way to go. I like Forecast. I am not sure an auto weather ability would be ideal as mentioned earlier, but anything is possible if suggested.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Last day to submit your ability suggestions.

I want to get the poll up tonight.

I am also going to start working on my art design later this evening.

Credits
    Blog Entries

New poll is up. Please read carefully. The first option gives Spawn I a secondary ability, but no hidden ability. The second choice gives Forecast as the secondary ability and allows for us to add a Hidden after this poll.

The 3rd option makes Forecast a Hidden Ability and means Spawn I would only have Squall as its only ability normally.