Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Question for those that battled.

  1. #1
    Gym Leader Array BugCatcher6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    (GMT -05:00)
    Posts
    12,608
    Credits
    61,279
    Blog Entries
    2

    Question Question for those that battled.

    There was a discussion about how the Valor Gym being different from the Dust Devil and Mana gyms may be confusing to challengers.


    Also the fact that the Valor Gym has a best of 3 battles in order to win the badge benefits me as a gym leader and puts the other gym leaders at a disadvantage.


    When we were talking about starting the new gyms, we had full control of how we wanted our gyms to be.

    I chose a VGC style to get people interested in the wi-fi and local tournaments and the other gym leaders chose to have classic gyms.


    So I guess my questions to those that have battled are,


    Is there confusion with the rules being different for the Valor Gym compared to the classic gyms?


    Does the Valor Gyms best of 3 battles cause an advantage for the Valor Gym and a disadvantage to the classic gym being a single battle?


  2. #2
    Pokemon Trainer Student Array sasuke715's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    611
    Credits
    11,998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    There was a discussion about how the Valor Gym being different from the Dust Devil and Mana gyms may be confusing to challengers.




    Also the fact that the Valor Gym has a best of 3 battles in order to win the badge benefits me as a gym leader and puts the other gym leaders at a disadvantage.




    When we were talking about starting the new gyms, we had full control of how we wanted our gyms to be.


    I chose a VGC style to get people interested in the wi-fi and local tournaments and the other gym leaders chose to have classic gyms.




    So I guess my questions to those that have battled are,




    Is there confusion with the rules being different for the Valor Gym compared to the classic gyms?




    Does the Valor Gyms best of 3 battles cause an advantage for the Valor Gym and a disadvantage to the classic gym being a single battle?



    if you alter a Gym battle it should be in the form of battle style. As in Double, Triple, or Rotation. Most people, such as myself, prefer to have single battles as they give both players and opponents the opportunity to map out strategies and perform better in battles over having to predict 2 pokemon at the same time. Not everyone is meant for double battles. When they canceled and removed auto level on B/W2, people had no choice but to VGC because it would keep their pokemon at an optimal level over having to level them up x amount of levels to get them at the level they need to be. When it returned on X/Y, people began doing classic battles again. I am witness to this as I had begun doing battles with RitualxZero, Slizer107, Ryan493, and Viperizer and 100's of other passerby challengers. The classic battle style posed by the other 2 gyms gives them more time to use deductive reasoning and strategy to be careful not to make a mistake which can cause them the game in contrast to VGC, where if you put 2 completely different pokemon, you can lose the match entirely. Example, switching Swampert into a Giga Drain from Venusaur. VGC example, switching 2 counters and getting caught in Mega Gengar's Shadow Tag. While not revealing any teams from Dust Devil or Mana, I battled both leaders and even losing with a 1-0, 4-0, 5-0 etc, both Allirath and Slizer107 have been able to outwit most of my uncommon strategies and perform sweeps in which I've taken step back, analyzed each battle and bred more Kalos native pokemon to battle with them and somewhat counter their most threatening pokemon. Allirath being my most recent victory is an example, he has a very powerful sand team that if not predicted correctly, he will annihilate a whole team once he gains the momentum at any precise moment. I won only by one correct prediction, and then followed on with my unorthodox battle style. Single battles with normal rules is more preferred and common because people want to battle with no limits while following VGC/Smogon rules followed by analyzing what weaknesses lies in their team compused of 6 where in VGC you would have to guess what 4/6 pokemon your opponent would use and avoid spammers that spam common moves and abilities such as with Dark Void, Spore, Skill link users, Pranksters etc. That is my opinion and answer to this question.

  3. #3
    Gym Leader Array BugCatcher6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    (GMT -05:00)
    Posts
    12,608
    Credits
    61,279
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    The classic gyms are the only place you would battle 6vs6 though other then random matchups on wi-fi.

    In any Nintendo/Pokémon event even the singles are 3vs3, leaving less to work with and having the same here are the 6 I have, guess what 3 I am using.


    The way I see the classic gyms, one Pokémon can sweep the entire side.

    So far in the VGC format I have been swept 3 times and I have swept an opponent once, and that was against RitualxZero on our 3rd battle, which was shocking.


    I have been the side of a 6-0 beat down where 1 Pokémon went completely beast on my team. You rarely see that in the VGC style.


    Which the only place you will ever be able to battle like old school is Showdown, our classic gyms, and wi-fi against random people.


    I don't know why Nintendo switched to the 4vs4 or 3vs3 level 50 battles. I saw nothing wrong with full teams auto level to 100 in the D/P/Pt/HG/SS days.


  4. #4
    Torrent Gym Leader/Head Farmer Array Deneves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chico, California
    Posts
    1,511
    Credits
    10,378
    Blog Entries
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    I don't know why Nintendo switched to the 4vs4 or 3vs3 level 50 battles. I saw nothing wrong with full teams auto level to 100 in the D/P/Pt/HG/SS days.
    Faster battles. The last two generations have been all about decreasing activity on their servers.

  5. #5
    Gym Leader Array BugCatcher6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    (GMT -05:00)
    Posts
    12,608
    Credits
    61,279
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deneves View Post
    Faster battles. The last two generations have been all about decreasing activity on their servers.
    Most are set to 30 minutes time limits, 60 seconds to make a move selection.

    I don't remember battles lasting longer then 30 minutes at level 100.


    Most people wait until the last second to make decisions, just to be an annoyance which drags battles out longer.

    Japanese players in the challenges I have done will wait until 5 seconds left on the team selection before okaying their team, just to frustrate their opponents.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •