Thread: Poké Academy: Spawn I Threat Discussion

Credits
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Poké Academy: Spawn I Threat Discussion

This part is usually not the most popular, so I am going to continue to the next step and let this run along side it.

So just to recap on Spawn I

Concept: Alpha Weather Pokémon
    Type: Steel

So going forward, here are some preliminary questions to think about in this thread:

• Going specifically by typing, what Pokemon found in the OU (or relevant) metagame will be able to comfortably give this SPAWN project trouble?
    • What Pokemon will be major threats to this project right off the bat?
    • What Pokemon have the potential to become counters?
    • What Pokemon may end up as threats, but must be contained or dealt with per the concept?
    • Will the concept succeed with these set list of threats?
    • Is this list of threats acceptable for the project?
    • What Pokemon will be threatened by the SPAWN based off of typing?
    • Are these Pokemon targets that we want SPAWN to hit?
    • Will these targets be "unavoidable" to threaten based solely on the typing?
    • What direction must the project go in now that a set list of basic threats has been identified?
    • What must be done in order to make these threats "wanted counters" or these threats be eliminated from counter discussion?
    • What Pokemon do we want this project to counter entirely?

Remember this comes from Smogon. I know in the past when I have done something new to the process I have been reminded this is not how Smogon does it.

Also remember that not all these questions need answered, but these can be stepping stones for any replies.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Gengar's Avatar
    Credits

SPAWN is already at a tremendous disadvantage outside of starting the weather on the first turn, seeing as every OU team is running at least one pokémon that knows Earthquake. That might be a 2x weakness while holding Damp Rock or Icy Rock, but that suddenly becomes a devastating 4x weakness while holding Smooth Rock or Heat rock. A bit of bulk might save it, but for the general concept, I don't see SPAWN wielding many offensive capabilities to deal with such threats. Having said that, it still has potential as a great support pokémon, be it passing stat boosts, screening, or tanking neutral damage.
    Y: 5129 - 1899 - 9166
    The Castaways: Under maintenance

Pokemon Trainer Student Array GoldChico's Avatar
    Credits

Fighting and Ground types are the most dangerous for a steel type Pokemon. Even if it changes to a dual type with the ability, Fighting and Ground will give damage that are 4 times super effective in one of the combinations.

Steel/Rock and Steel/Ice takes 4x damage from Fighting and Steel/Fire takes 4 times from Ground.

A lot of pokemons that are present in today's metagame carry a fighting type or ground type moves.

Credits
    Blog Entries

We have not selected an ability yet, so we are looking at this a pure Steel type at the moment.

This is one of the steps I think should come later in the build, but when I do things in my order I hear, "that is now how Smogon does this."

I am kind of stuck trying to please everyone in the process, and as many people know, keeping people happy is not my strongest quality.

Credits
    Blog Entries

To me for Spawn I his biggest threat is going to be Fire types and then followed by Ground and Fighting.

Fire because of the rampant use of Charizard-Y and Drought. Any other weather user can change what Spawn I is doing as well.

So the least favorable conditions to me would be Sun teams and Sandstorm teams, both packing a killer punch in their Fire attacks or in the case of Sandstorm Earthquake.

Being a Steel type, Spawn I if it is not leading your team, can switch in on Fairy type Pokémon, but even then he has to be able to have a decent attack to scare them off the field, but is attacking going to be in Spawn I's bag of tricks?

I think the further we go with this the more we will see who becomes a threat.