View Poll Results: What should our Spawn's main type be?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Grass

1 11.11%
  • Fire

0 0%
  • Water

1 11.11%
  • Electric

0 0%
  • Ice

1 11.11%
  • Ground

0 0%
  • Fighting

0 0%
  • Dark

0 0%
  • Ghost

0 0%
  • Psychic

0 0%
  • Steel

4 44.44%
  • Fairy

2 22.22%
  • Rock

0 0%
  • Dragon

0 0%
  • Poison

0 0%

Thread: Poké Academy: Spawn I Typing Discussion

Credits
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Poké Academy: Spawn I Typing Discussion

So we have a weather starter concept. We had a pretty good concept discussion on how the Spawn I concept will play out.

So now we are going to discuss typing.

I thought first we would look at what are common threats to the current auto-weather Pokémon.

Drought - Sun
    Vulpix/Ninetales - Weak to Water, Ground, and Rock, so Stealth Rock is an issue. Every big hitter in the game runs with Earthquake. Which lead to other weather starters can take out Vulpix/Ninetales. Without Sun you are crippled.

Charizard-Y - Weak to Water and Electric, as well as a 4x weakness to Rock. Stealth Rock takes a whopping 1/2 of your health.

Groudon - Weak to Water, Grass, and Ice.

Drizzle - Rain
    Politoed - Weak to Grass and Electric.

Kyorge - Weak to Grass and Electric.

Sand Stream - Sand
    Tyranitar/Mega - Weak to Water, Grass, Ground, Bug, Steel, Fairy and 4x weak to Fighting.

Hippopotas/Hippowdon - Weak to Water, Grass, and Ice.

Snow Warning - Hail
    Snover/Abomasnow/Mega - Weak to Fighting, Poison, Flying, Bug, Rock, and Steel, as well as 4x weakness to Fire.

Amaura/Aurorus - Weak to Water, Grass, Ground, and Rock, as well as a 4x weakness to Fighting and Steel.

So as we can see most auto-weather Pokémon have a lot of weakness. Keep in mind that the ability would stop taking damage from Hail or Sand, unless you are using a different weather. Say you are setup for Drizzle, you would take damage in Hail and Sand.

So Ice or Ground, Rock, Steel typing could prevent this, but each has their weakness.

Also as far as Fairy type, I understand it is a new type and the thought may be to make it a Fairy type just because it is new and we love it, is not a reason to design our Spawn with the Fairy typing.

Also the flip side, saying we are not going with a Fairy type because it is the flavor of the month will also not be tolerated.

So if you make a type suggestion, please explain why the pros and cons.

Credits
    Blog Entries

As much as I would like to suggest Rock, just for the SP.DEF bonus in the Sand, I am going to suggest Steel/Flying.

The only weakness this type combo would have is Fire and Electric, while having an immunity to Poison and Ground.

It would make Drought an issue since Fire attacks would hit harder. Also in a Drizzle Thunder would used more and that means hard hits and higher paralyze chance.

Credits
    Blog Entries

No other type combos?

I think I liked our old method better. Voting on a main type and then voting on a secondary type.

Would this be a better option? I can still add a poll.

Credits
    Blog Entries

That might be better, yes - I've been thinking about combos with Normal, Electric, and Dark typing (and not necessarily the usual types mentioned above; e.g. Electric/Dark for a thunderstorm idea) but can't find any good reasoning to suggest a particular dual typing.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    That might be better, yes - I've been thinking about combos with Normal, Electric, and Dark typing (and not necessarily the usual types mentioned above; e.g. Electric/Dark for a thunderstorm idea) but can't find any good reasoning to suggest a particular dual typing.
    Yeah I was thinking of the same thing for like Ghost/Fairy, but can't figure out a reason this typing would fit a good weather user. Yeah with the immunity to Normal, Fight, and Dragon, this combo would only be weak to Ghost and Steel.

I'll start a poll for the primary type.

That is how we always did it, but the more Spawn we do the more I have heard why are you not doing it like Smogon? Because this is PokéFarm and although Smogon has a great system for their CAP, it does not translate directly to PF. They look at Pokémon as straight competitive use. I think we do more well rounded Spawn.

Credits
    Blog Entries

If anyone wants to vote for Bug, Normal, or Flying, you will have to post because the poll only allows 15 options.

Mana Gym Leader Array Slizer107's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I am going to vote for a pure Steel type, when reading through these spawn posts and seeing the idea for a totally weather based pokemon, the first thought I had was something man made. Its not as if it would be impossible within the realms of the pokemon universe due to Porygon, Porygon-2 and Porygon-Z. I kind of have this vision of a very slow but incredibly bulky pokemon which has been created to react to whichever rock it has been given, maybe even changing its second type depending on the rock?

Smooth Rock- Steel/Ground (Or rock)
    Damp Rock- Steel/Water
    Heat Rock- Steel/Fire
    Icy Rock- Steel/Ice

I may have let my imagination run a little wild here but I got rather excited when I saw this idea aha :P
    Use to be the site pest, the a gym leader and at times both!
    I would say I am an old member... but I joined when I was 12, so 6 years down the line I am only 18...

Credits
    Blog Entries

I am totally loving this Spawn already.

What I started seeing in my head has made many turns with Kurt's suggestion of holding a rock to change weathers, which completely changes the idea I had to make a Basculin style Pokémon with 4 possible abilities, but 2 coloration styles or 2 forms. Much easier with Kurt's suggestion.

Now with your suggestion that takes on a whole other idea in my head.

Man made would be perfect for this Spawn. Changing type to match the stone is even cooler.

Which this could still be a dual type, but change with a stone. Kind of like Greninja, Water/Dark but changes to match his moves with Protean.

What would be even cooler, but maybe out of our realm of participation is a kind of Rotom like Pokémon changing forms with the item.

I don't want to get ahead of the process, so I won't go into details.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slizer107 View Post
    I am going to vote for a pure Steel type, when reading through these spawn posts and seeing the idea for a totally weather based pokemon, the first thought I had was something man made. Its not as if it would be impossible within the realms of the pokemon universe due to Porygon, Porygon-2 and Porygon-Z. I kind of have this vision of a very slow but incredibly bulky pokemon which has been created to react to whichever rock it has been given, maybe even changing its second type depending on the rock?

Smooth Rock- Steel/Ground (Or rock)
    Damp Rock- Steel/Water
    Heat Rock- Steel/Fire
    Icy Rock- Steel/Ice

I may have let my imagination run a little wild here but I got rather excited when I saw this idea aha :P
    I like that idea! *votes for Steel*