Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Showdown users

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Taurosdude15's Avatar
    Credits

I would like to get more involved with breeding and battling again. I'm working on a team right now so I'll be able to battle more soon since I'll need to improve my team. The breeding time also seems yo take less time this gen like Buzz said which is nice.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Slimjim367's Avatar
    Credits

I really think we should try to get this off the ground! How can we get more users for this?
    3DS Friend Code: 0662-2766-6216
    IGN: Jamie
    My safari type is Fighting and the pokemon are: Pancham, Machoke, Tyrogue

White 2 FC: 2151 7122 0017
    I have game in every generation; if anyone wants anything female in one of Kurt's Apricorn Balls from Soul Silver to breed - Let me know!

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slimjim367 View Post
    I really think we should try to get this off the ground! How can we get more users for this?
    That is the million dollar question. I have tried everything I can think of to get tournaments going. I sent PMs about new badges, with no replies. I have offered items, like Ability Capsules. I have 6x31 IVs Goomy, 5x31 IV Pokémon, I'm just out of ideas.

I tried mentioning Showdown and that didn't even draw interest. Showdown really takes like 15 minutes to create a team, longer if you want to fine tune.

Credits

Perhaps we should attempt to get people interested with Showdown (because of the ease of access), but keep rewards for in-game battles

I have game in every generation; if anyone wants anything female in one of Kurt's Apricorn Balls from Soul Silver to breed - Let me know!

Not So Cute Array predictions of doom's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I used to do random battles on Showdown in Gen V, but with this gen I've decided to go straight to breeding a physical team. I have a team on paper, and 2/6 members bred - I've really just been waiting for the holidays to start so I can really begin training. Not sure that I'd be able to commit to breeding a new team every month, but once I have mine together I can definitely participate in battles and tourneys.
    Back!

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by predictions of doom View Post
    I used to do random battles on Showdown in Gen V, but with this gen I've decided to go straight to breeding a physical team. I have a team on paper, and 2/6 members bred - I've really just been waiting for the holidays to start so I can really begin training. Not sure that I'd be able to commit to breeding a new team every month, but once I have mine together I can definitely participate in battles and tourneys.

That is why I wanted to have the season be Kalos only Pokémon. The Pokémon introduced in Gen 6 and then a tournament each month to allow for other Pokémon to be used.

This would force people to use new Pokémon, but allow them to go back to their old familiar teams.

If we look at the new Pokémon, only one new Pokémon hits 600 total base stats, Goodra. The next highest is Florges at 552, not counting Legendary Pokémon.

So really we can expect only a few to be used to fill niche roles. So unless we go to a lot of NU or UU battling you are going to see a lot of the same old teams.

Another reason I would like to do a Kalos only season to start is to really see what the new toys can do. From Smogon we are reading what people are doing ingame with them and then what testers are doing with them. How much testing goes into a Pokémon when a person is losing with one?

I have had 6 battles so far with my team, 2 now with the complete Kalos only theme. I have yet to test everything it can do. I am excited to see what it's weaknesses are.

The first battle I had with UnderFudge with my complete Kalos only team, which can be found with MCAG-WWWW-WWWW3-QYNM, I thought for sure I had lost, but my team surprised me. 1 new member setup an old member that I have yet to get the old member to do what he was intended to do.

Not So Cute Array predictions of doom's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Hmm. I do have 2 non-Kalos Pokemon planned, but I'm sure I'm going to have to do some tweaking anyways, so I can always have backups.
    Back!

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by BugCatcher6 View Post
    That is why I wanted to have the season be Kalos only Pokémon. The Pokémon introduced in Gen 6 and then a tournament each month to allow for other Pokémon to be used.

This would force people to use new Pokémon, but allow them to go back to their old familiar teams.

If we look at the new Pokémon, only one new Pokémon hits 600 total base stats, Goodra. The next highest is Florges at 552, not counting Legendary Pokémon.

So really we can expect only a few to be used to fill niche roles. So unless we go to a lot of NU or UU battling you are going to see a lot of the same old teams.

.[/COLOR]
    My big problem with this is that almost every team (or at least the predicatable winning team) will consist of Mega Kang, Gale Wings Talonflame (with Brave Bird no doubt!), Aegislash (probably), and Greninja.

Don't get me wrong, some of the new mons introduced can be useful, (Klefki prankster can be great), and some even great (Heliolisk), but for the most part I've noticed quite a polarization between "tournament-playable" new mons, and completely unusable ones.

I'm not suggesting a ban-list or anything (never!), but it would be worth nothing that when narrowing our list to around 70 pokemon (and even further when we exclude the un-evolved ones) we're going to see quite a lack of variety.

Unless I misinterpreted your entire statement and you meant any pokemon available within gen 6, pre-bank?

Mana Gym Leader Array Slizer107's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Ohh! See my name mentioned! Some clarification is needed I see!

In answer to me being undecided, its been an incredibly long time since I have battled and I had hope of returning to it for Gen 5, but that gen was just so bad that it killed my interest. I am getting Pokemon Y for Christmas and I am super excited and if all goes to plan, I wanna try and get into battling again, I am currently farming ditto's for breeding (and I have heard that Chaining is back... that's one of the main drivers for me as well :P)

A major reason however why I stopped playing was due to the lack of people on here, there were not the challengers and I managed to lose all my pokes at Dragax's house and then he moved so my game was lost forever with all my gym Pokemon, all my ditto everything so there wasn't really the incentive to keep playing.

EDIT: This was suppose to have a quote attached from Buzz by the way about the Beacon/Circuit Gym
    Use to be the site pest, the a gym leader and at times both!
    I would say I am an old member... but I joined when I was 12, so 6 years down the line I am only 18...

Credits
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slimjim367 View Post
    My big problem with this is that almost every team (or at least the predicatable winning team) will consist of Mega Kang, Gale Wings Talonflame (with Brave Bird no doubt!), Aegislash (probably), and Greninja.

Don't get me wrong, some of the new mons introduced can be useful, (Klefki prankster can be great), and some even great (Heliolisk), but for the most part I've noticed quite a polarization between "tournament-playable" new mons, and completely unusable ones.

I'm not suggesting a ban-list or anything (never!), but it would be worth nothing that when narrowing our list to around 70 pokemon (and even further when we exclude the un-evolved ones) we're going to see quite a lack of variety.

Unless I misinterpreted your entire statement and you meant any pokemon available within gen 6, pre-bank?
    I meant Kalos only, so Megas are out as their Pokémon are found in other regions. Kalos only Pokémon as listed by Nintendo for the PGL are found only in the Kalos region, so basically Pokémon #650-715.

Which my biggest draw to having a season like this is it gives everyone a pretty level playing field. However I would assume the teams would be loaded with Aegislash, Talonflame, and Goodra. Being that Goodra is the highest base stat Pokémon of all the new Pokémon introduced, Aegislash being the best dual role, filling the slot of complete defense until the moment of attack, and Talonflame having one of the highest damage priority moves just south of Extremespeed, but STABBED.

Take in that Sylveon would be most likely the best Fairy special attacker.

I find some of the minor Pokémon this Gen to be fun to play, but will most likely never see their way out of the NU/UU tiers. So I thought a Kalos only league right now would give us a chance to test and enjoy the new guys for awhile, before everyone forgets about them in the NU world.

Quote Originally Posted by Slizer107 View Post
    Ohh! See my name mentioned! Some clarification is needed I see!

In answer to me being undecided, its been an incredibly long time since I have battled and I had hope of returning to it for Gen 5, but that gen was just so bad that it killed my interest. I am getting Pokemon Y for Christmas and I am super excited and if all goes to plan, I wanna try and get into battling again, I am currently farming ditto's for breeding (and I have heard that Chaining is back... that's one of the main drivers for me as well :P)

A major reason however why I stopped playing was due to the lack of people on here, there were not the challengers and I managed to lose all my pokes at Dragax's house and then he moved so my game was lost forever with all my gym Pokemon, all my ditto everything so there wasn't really the incentive to keep playing.

EDIT: This was suppose to have a quote attached from Buzz by the way about the Beacon/Circuit Gym
    Given how the new Gen is, you really don't need anything from the old generation. I have a Ditto Safari on my daughter's 3DS, so farm there for your Ditto and you will be set for breeding. Safari Pokémon come with 2 IVs at 31, so each Ditto will be at 2x31 and I have some at 4x31.

My quickest build so far from start to 5x31 IVs has been 70 eggs.

I have a program started with my best IV Pokémon listed and I was hoping others would join in, but so far they have not, but if anyone would like to use one of or both of the parents to breed their own offspring, I have the pedigree program started.

So you know as a community, we help our own.
    Last edited by BugCatcher6; 12-21-2013 at 03:28 PM.