Thread: Brave New Hoenn

Credits

Default Brave New Hoenn

Prologue

Moving to Hoenn came with its own set of challenges; leaving all he had ever known in Sinnoh, from friends, who had supported him, and given him several mementos to remember themselves and the memories they shared (and what memories they were!) by, to the landscape, spilt in half by Mt. Coronet, causing a physical divide, but not an emotional or mental one in the region. People on both halves loved both sides equally, and tried to protect it, to preserve it. This was not the case in Hoenn; in fact, at this very instant, two rival “teams”, as they called themselves, though they were more like gangs, were fighting to expand the land and the sea – Team Magma, and Team Aqua respectively. The fighting seemed to have polarized the region as well, the exact antithesis of Sinnoh. Shun wasn’t sure he would ever fully adjust to this culture of change and inconsistency.

Sinnoh was not perfect, however. There were some people who wanted to create a more perfect world, starting in Sinnoh, but they belonged to neither half of the region; they were squatters, invading pawns sent by their master who cared neither for the region nor its inhabitants. They were small, but vocal. They were ingenious, and cunning. And worst of all, they were ruthless. They called themselves Galactic, and they were heretics to Sinnoh’s order of nature.
    Shun’s friends had all begged him to stay, and he had wanted to. But sometimes, things aren’t that simple. Sometimes, the world pushes you without mercy, but when you stop and push back, it cries “Evil!” like it had to his father, and to his family.
    All his father had tried to do was stop the disaster.
    And he had succeeded.

---

Figured I could go ahead and post at leas the prologue, if for little more than to show that I am working on this.
    I had it formatted what I considered to be well in the file, but for some reason I can't indent here, and when I manually space it out, the spaces disappear in the post.
    If anyone knows how to go from a Word Document to here and not have a wall of text, lemme know.
    The two of you to whom I previewed this may notice that this has been changed quite a bit; the original opening is still in the story, I've just moved it slightly.

Ch. 1: Under the Falls --> http://forum.pokefarm.com/showthread...l=1#post254627
    Ch.2: Newcomer --> http://forum.pokefarm.com/showthread...l=1#post255150
    Last edited by Jats605; 06-14-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Ryan493's Avatar
    Credits

Seems like a nice introduction, I like the foreshadowing it provides toward the end. I'll be looking forward to seeing this continue

Pokemon Trainer Student Array TheNinjaPhoenix's Avatar
    Credits

This is good - keep working on it, hey?
    This is a signature. Ha.

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan493 View Post
    Seems like a nice introduction, I like the foreshadowing it provides toward the end. I'll be looking forward to seeing this continue
    You and me both; I honestly have no idea where the story is going, plot wise. I just write whatever comes to mind, and let things foldout as they wish.
    If it worked for Ray Bradbury, it works for me :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dragax67 View Post
    This is good - keep working on it, hey?
    Is that a "it's not that great" keep working on it, or a "I want to see where this goes" keep working on it?
    :P

Oh, forgot to ask:
    Should I edit the initial post for each Chapter, and post a notification, or post the chapter and edit the original post with a link to it?
    [4:50 PM] Bobbreeder: Well, Scizor dies to insertfirehere

Credits
    Blog Entries

Post chapter + link in original post definitely.
    Oh, and nice story. I'll keep reading.

Credits

Ch.1 – Under the Falls
    Shun let the water run through his short, jet black hair, and down his back. The water was cleansing, in more ways than one. It carried with it all of his pent up energy, all of his anger, sorrow, and sadness. It didn’t care who he was, or what he had done; it just did its job – purification of the body and the mind. The torrent crashed down on him, drowning out the world around him in its dull, comforting roar, like a mother’s heartbeat to an infant. He sat there a while, under the waterfall deep inside of Meteor Falls. He had done the same in Mt.Coronet. He needed this, now.
    Shun checked his watch. 6:45 already. He slowly stood up, got dressed, and made is way out of the cavern, towards Rustburo City. He had dinner waiting on him, and he was not about to miss a meal. He broke out in a run on Route 115; not particularly fast, and not particularly hard (Not that he couldn’t; he had been on both of his school’s running sports teams), but a run nonetheless, his Lucario, Jada, trailing just behind. He caught an occasional glance from passersby, some curious as to why he was running, others gawking at Jada, which was to them a completely foreign Pokémon. He mused over this fact as he ran; something so familiar to him, something he had known as long as he could remember, is strange and alien to everyone else. It was, Shun realized, the same scenario with him and his surroundings. The residents here knew each city and town like the back of their hands, while he would often get lost just going to the store for milk.
    Shun reached his house at 6:59 exactly; just before his mother requested he be back for dinner. He put his hand on the doorknob.
    Shun opened the door, and inside he saw his new normal: His mother in the kitchen, working her magic on the stove, humming whatever was on the radio like it was nothing to be juggling steaming hot food like she was in the circus. His younger sister was on the couch, on her freaking phone. Shun hated it. He couldn’t explain why, but the sight of anyone, not just Sayu, so engrossed in their phones (and several other things, for that matter) that they completely ignored the rest of the world drove him crazy. What could possibly take up so much time on one of those?
    “Mom, I’m home.”
    “Oh, good.” She glanced at the clock above the stove. “Right on time, as usual. Go wash up, the food’s ready.” Shun did, with Jada right behind him. They ate, Jada included -- Shun’s family had decided long ago that Jada was far too intelligent, and far too capable to not eat exactly what they did.
    Shun cracked open a book for the reminder of the evening, losing himself in someone else’s creation, someone else’s fantasy. It was one way of coping with...things.
    Shun showered at 9:00, put on his pajamas, and went to bed. Tomorrow was his first day of school in Hoenn.

Shun and Jada shared a special, mental and emotional bond, the likes of which is the stuff of literal legends. It allowed them to exchange ideas, thoughts, images, anything that occurs in the mind with each other seamlessly. It made them the perfect team in just about anything they attempted; what one lacked, the other could compensate for, what one didn’t understand, the other could rationalize. That night, he had flashbacks to Sinnoh, aided by Jada.

---
    This chapter originally had a bit more dialogue, but it felt canned and out of place, especially for the characters I had speaking it, so I've moved it around.
    Last edited by Jats605; 06-14-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Credits

Ch. 2 – Newcomer
    ---8 YEARS AGO, SOLACEON TOWN, SINNOH---
    Ten-year-old Shun awoke as he had every other day that summer; in the attic of his Uncle's house, with a Glameow sitting on him, licking his face affectionately. He rolled over and checked the clock, an action the Glameow didn't take kindly to, seeing as it was forced to hop down. 8:26 A.M. A bit late, for a farm anyway, but nothing he would get in trouble for -- Shun was here to get away from the hustle and bustle of Jubilife City where he was attending school, so helping on the farm was optional. He could smell breakfast in the kitchen a floor below. He loved the smell of food, and this was, of course, no exception. He sat up, stretched, yawned, and rubbed his eyes. His face was opposite the window, and the sun was coming straight through it, blinding him for the split second it took to look away. He slid out of bed, and put his work clothes on. The legs of his overalls were crusted with mud, increasingly so the farther down you went. Farm work wasn’t easy, but Shun enjoyed it. Well, he enjoyed the Pokémon at the farm, anyway, from the Mareep, which were sheared every summer for their wool, to the Miltank, which Shun personally helped milk every day. While he by no means hated them, he disliked caring for the Grumpig the most, and even that was only because of the mud in which they resided. Once it was on your clothes (or even worse, on you) it felt like it would never come out. He made his way down the steps, into the dining room. On the table, he saw his breakfast already made and prepared for him, his uncle already in the field, working. Bacon, eggs, toast, and Wiki berry juice. Shun sat down, and started digging in.
    He had finished his eggs and toast, and was about to start on the bacon (he liked to leave the best for last) when he heard his uncle call for him urgently from outside. Shun jumped up and ran out the door, half a strip of bacon hanging out his mouth. Uncle Josiah was standing by a feed silo, waving for Shun.
    “Hurry over here, Shun”, Josiah said, pointing behind the silo and once Shun had made his way over to his uncle. He looked.
    It was an odd sight; it looked a bit like a small blue child, a bit like a raccoon, and quite a bit injured. Shun wasn’t sure what to make of it.
    “What is it, Uncle?”
    “It’s a Riolu. What it’s doing here in Solaceon, I’m not sure; they’re hard to find even on their native Iron Island, which is west of Canalave. It must have been quite the trek.”
    Shun crouched and extended a hand. The pitiful creature recoiled, and backed up with what strength it had.
    “It’s OK, I don’t want to hurt you. You look beat up enough as it is.”
    Shun took a duck-step forward, still crouched. The Riolu stayed.
    “Well, we can’t just leave ya here. Come on, we’ll fix ya up.” Josiah crouched and picked up the Riolu. It tried to resist, slightly, until it realized it was helpless in its current state.
    They carried it back to the house, and tended to its numerous wounds, most of them minor scrapes but there was enough of them to cause an issue. There were also several harsh looking gashes and bruises.
    Once it had eaten, rested and overall gotten comfortable, it revealed something that surprised Shun, although Uncle Josiah had suspected it all along: This Riolu, like most of its species, could communicate telepathically. Having found this out, they questioned it – where was it from, what had happened to it, how did it get clear over here in Solaceon. The Riolu responded not by telling, but by showing them.

It started in a dark room. It was, from the looks of it, essentially a cube -- it was unbelievably high, and just as wide. Strange lights lined the walls, eventually fading away as the walls themselves did from the height. Most pulsed slowly upward, as if showing the blood flow of some massive, robotic creature in which they currently inhabited, but a few blinked on, off, on, off. A drizzle could be heard echoing off the roof, down into the chamber. The current point of view (which Shun would soon realize was the Riolu’s first-person) showed faces staring down at him, most covered by shades, others standing in the shadow of the surgical grade lights currently being beamed towards in his direction. An unseen voice issued an order.
    “Alright boys, let him up. Let’s see what he can do.”
    The wrist and ankle restraints that had been containing him popped open. The table on which he had lay tilted forwards, making him slide off it slowly. He landed with a soft plop, and doubled over. He held his head, and waited for the Cube to stop spinning. Once it did, he stood up, but kept his guard up. He still had no idea who these people were, or what they wanted.
    “Jump.” He did. Once. Short, and controlled. Just enough to avoid whatever punishment they had in store if he didn’t. “Again.” He jumped a little bit higher this time.
    “Good.” A pencil was heard scratching on a clip board.
    “Good. See, Saturn? They are intelligent,” says the man on the intercom. Some grumbling is heard in response.
    “Shut up and do your job, Charon.”
    The voice sighs pitifully. “Yes, sir.”
    “Attack.” Two round, metal targets popped up from the floor several yards away. He ran up to them and gave them each a solid punch.
    “Let’s try that again.” Two more targets popped up, but this time, so did shackles out of the floor. A-ha. He knew what they wanted now. He held out an arm, Aura condensing in his palm. The sphere left his palm, his arm recoiling back like a high-caliber rifle. He repeated the attack for the other target and waited.
    “Dodge.” Two turrets rose out of the floor, beeped twice, gave a louder, final beep that clearly indicated that it was about to shoot, and started firing it's rubber munitions.The Riolu stood still and erected an aura barrier around itself, procuring an “Interesting…” from one of the observers.
    “If that's not proof enough that he'll work for what we need, Saturn, I'm not sure what is," said the voice called Charon. "Lock him back up.” The Riolu did *not* like the sound of that. He quickly scanned the room for an exit. Large steel door? Probably bomb-proof. Vent system? Too small to allow a quick getaway. The walls, though...
    He Quick Attacked forward, simultaniously engulfed his arm in the scientists' Aura, jumped onto the wall like a lizard, found a weak point in the wall (it wasn't hard to find -- he just looked for a junction between two steel slabs) and slamed his paw straight into the crack. He channaled the Aura down his arm, and forced the pieces of metal to warp, forming a perfectly round hole to the outside. He jumped throught, closing it as soon as he was clear.
    Still clinging to the wall, he could now see where he was -- the Pastoria half of Route 212. He thought about where to go now, the rain drenching him in no time at all. His captors probably thought he was cowardly enough to go back to Iron Island, to his kind; to his family. He was going to prove to them that he was not so predictable, and he did this by going further east, but not before vowing to go back to Iron Island and explain his disappearance and, if possible, stay there.
    The scene faded, and was followed by glimpses of scavaging in the garbage bins of Pastoria, and getting harrassed by a gang of Glameow. It showed them how it had traveled by night, avoided the main Routes, often using dilapidated, long forgotten roads, or traversing through overgrown forests, which had been left to grow of their own accord. The flashback ended with the Riolu laying where Shun and Uncle Josiah had found him: behind the silo, injured, and afraid.

Josiah sat there for a number of seconds after the transmission had ended, and then made an offer. "Tell ya what. Ya can stay here, with us, until you're feeling better. We'll hide ya from whoever it was that had captured ya, and once you're ready we can go to Iron Island. Together."
    "That sounds...good. You may just redeem your kind for me."
    "Alrighty then. If you'll be staying with us, we should probably give ya a name. Do ya have any preference?"
    "My kind, of course, named me in our tounge. It roughly translates to 'Wise One', as I was meant to lead us once my father is no longer able. I was already in training. I was to be strong. I was to be to be the one who protected my kind." The Riolu chuckled. "And now look at me, not even able to fend for myself. For that, I am deeply ashamed. It is also for that, that I am glad you promised to take me back to my Island home. I will become the Wise One I was meant to be. I will be Jada."

The alarm buzzed it's typical, loud, annoying buzz, telling Shun and Jada it was time to awaken for their first day in the Hoenn school system. Shun flung his arm over to where the clock was and smacked it quiet. He threw the sheets off of him, and slid his legs off the bed.
    "Heh. Feeling home sick already, Jada? That one was the day we found you and took you in."
    Not particularly home sick, no. More nostalgic than anything. That was where we started, and now look where we've ended up. All because people were blind to the truth. You didn't even need to see it -- you could smell it from a mile away.
    "I know, I know. We've been over this many times before. Now get ready, we have a big day today."

----------------------------
    End of Chapter
    ----------------------------
    Gah, I really wish the formatting would keep.
    Anyone know if the html <pre> tag works here?
    Last edited by Jats605; 06-14-2013 at 09:21 PM.