Thread: Rest In Peace Takeshi Shudo

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Okapi's Avatar
    Credits

Default Rest In Peace Takeshi Shudo

This may more appropriately belong in the "Other Chatz" section, but it's IRL so I don't know.

The news seems not to have spread here yet (and the forum overall seems much more empty than when last I came), and I have been deeply moved though I did not know whom the man was until this evening. Takeshi Shudo, one of the writers of the earlier parts of the Pokemon anime, passed away yesterday/this morning. I am not sure of the details/cause of his death, but that is not what is important.

When I first heard the news, I was mostly unphased; As I said, I did not know whom he was, or just how much/what he had contributed to the franchise. He was one of the prime movers in the earlier parts of the animated series, including the first three movies and many of the episodes that have staid with us as something special, or moving, more than just another installment in a monotonous story as the episodes have now become; It's been a while, and I don't remember titles for most off the top of my head, but the one where Bill is introduced (the one with Dragonite), Bye, Bye, Butterfree, the one where Ash lets Charizard go, the Ghost of Maiden's Peak, and, perhaps the most moving, to me, at least, Go West, Young Meowth, the one in which Meowth tells the story of how he learned to talk and why he joined Team Rocket.

He was also the creator/designer of the legendary Pokemon Lugia, which as you might have noticed is one I am particularly fond of.

For some of us, this man provided an emotional and yet deeply innocent and profound experience in an art and genre where typically most of what is found is vulgar; For others, he shaped our very childhoods, and played a part in forming the people we have become, even if we had not heard of him before he passed away. I know that, given the kind of childhood I had, he probably influenced me more than either of my biological parents alone. And, if nothing else, we can appreciate that his art and his head for stories was a cut above the everyday.

There are other sad quirks to the tale, of course, as there always are. But I am here to deliver a message, not to make anyone feel bad about it. In fact, it seemed that a large quantity of Takeshi's most inspirational work was about letting go. If anyone wishes to learn more, I suppose it should be easy enough to find those things, but they are largely irrelevant in the bigger picture.

So, I guess what I am saying is, even if many of us did not know whom he was, Mister Takeshi Shudo will be dearly missed.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Okapi's Avatar
    Credits

Sorry to double-post, but apparently the cause of death was brain hemorrhage. He was 61, and had presumably lived a happy, and relatively long, life.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array platinum's Avatar
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    This may more appropriately belong in the "Other Chatz" section, but it's IRL so I don't know.

The news seems not to have spread here yet (and the forum overall seems much more empty than when last I came), and I have been deeply moved though I did not know whom the man was until this evening. Takeshi Shudo, one of the writers of the earlier parts of the Pokemon anime, passed away yesterday/this morning. I am not sure of the details/cause of his death, but that is not what is important.

When I first heard the news, I was mostly unphased; As I said, I did not know whom he was, or just how much/what he had contributed to the franchise. He was one of the prime movers in the earlier parts of the animated series, including the first three movies and many of the episodes that have staid with us as something special, or moving, more than just another installment in a monotonous story as the episodes have now become; It's been a while, and I don't remember titles for most off the top of my head, but the one where Bill is introduced (the one with Dragonite), Bye, Bye, Butterfree, the one where Ash lets Charizard go, the Ghost of Maiden's Peak, and, perhaps the most moving, to me, at least, Go West, Young Meowth, the one in which Meowth tells the story of how he learned to talk and why he joined Team Rocket.

He was also the creator/designer of the legendary Pokemon Lugia, which as you might have noticed is one I am particularly fond of.

For some of us, this man provided an emotional and yet deeply innocent and profound experience in an art and genre where typically most of what is found is vulgar; For others, he shaped our very childhoods, and played a part in forming the people we have become, even if we had not heard of him before he passed away. I know that, given the kind of childhood I had, he probably influenced me more than either of my biological parents alone. And, if nothing else, we can appreciate that his art and his head for stories was a cut above the everyday.

There are other sad quirks to the tale, of course, as there always are. But I am here to deliver a message, not to make anyone feel bad about it. In fact, it seemed that a large quantity of Takeshi's most inspirational work was about letting go. If anyone wishes to learn more, I suppose it should be easy enough to find those things, but they are largely irrelevant in the bigger picture.

So, I guess what I am saying is, even if many of us did not know whom he was, Mister Takeshi Shudo will be dearly missed.
    Ah yes I heard of that. Really I was very sad. He helped make the Pokemon anime what it is today. R.I.P Takeshi.

Thanks so much Vasden2!
    White FC: 5071-8056-6941
    White2 FC: 4041-4660-3856
    3DS Friend Code: 0318-6481-9101
    Friend Safari: Bug- Ledyba/Volbeat/Venemoth

Pokemon Trainer in Waiting Array awesomeness4286's Avatar
    Credits

Takeshi Shudo definitely influenced my childhood a lot, thats for sure. May he rest in peace.
    I'm creepy. :P