Thread: Dwarf Fortress

Credits
    Blog Entries

Default Dwarf Fortress

Anyone playing this? If you are not, I suggest you check it out. The best description I've read of it is (taken from tvtropes):
    [It] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics.
    You make crops (outdoors or indoors), design living quarters and barracks, organize a military, make devious traps (often involving magma) and almost anything else you can think of with a little creativity. It is all ASCII art, but don't be fooled; it tracks individual body parts of every important living thing for wounds! If you don't like ASCII though, there are a lot of graphical packs to be found.

If you are already playing, I really want to see what cool projects you are working on at the moment! I'll post some screens from my own game later.

Links:
    http://bay12games.com/dwarves/
    main page for the game

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/
    the forum

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
    the wiki

The game is very complicated, and has a steep learning curve, so it might not be suitable for young-uns.

Strike the earth!

Forge Gym Leader/Tournament Director Array Jhamin's Avatar
    Credits

I've been addicted to this game for a few months now. (I'm still adapting to all the changes from the new version that came out a couple weeks ago)

I'm always a sucker for games that let you micromanage or let your empire run on it's own. Also, I love building elaborate pressurized water cannons to blow Goblins off cliff faces and into the river below. This game is right in the sweet spot for me.

Credits
    Blog Entries

Haha, finding horrible ways to kill Goblins is always fun xD I haven't built anything amazing yet, only a pit that's a few z-levels deep, with a Great Eagle at the bottom. I strip the Goblins I've caught in cage traps, and throw them down. They break a few bones and then meet the Eagle...
    I've just started planning a new fortress after finding a great spot with underground river (for water and towercap farms), magma pipe, hidden fun stuff (check on the wiki if you don't know and want to, it's a bit of a spoiler), bottomless pit and flux! My current plan is to try making it completely self-sufficient underground, so I can close up/cave in the entrance if I need to and still survive. Heck, if I'm lucky with the Bottomless Pit I might even manage to catch and tame myself a Giant Cave Spider for silk production ^^ I'm still playing the old version (waiting for bug fixes in the new one), so I won't have problems with forgotten beasts

Credits

So its like 8 bit? Thats original nowadays
    [4:50 PM] Bobbreeder: Well, Scizor dies to insertfirehere

Credits
    Blog Entries

Yeah, and the best part is that it's the most complex game I've played, hiding behind the ASCII graphics