Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tournaments

Credits
    Blog Entries

Default Tournaments

Are there any plans to bring back PokéFarm tournaments? The ones I did before I never did well enough for a badge, so I would like a shot at some of those badges.

Forge Gym Leader/Tournament Director Array Jhamin's Avatar
    Credits

Things sort of fell fallow after a couple Tournaments last year.

I'm hoping to start something again in a few weeks, assuming we can rope enough members into joining.

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Brainhost's Avatar
    Credits

Is there not a way to inaugurate new tournament directors or co-tournament directors to divide the workload or create more capacity?

Forge Gym Leader/Tournament Director Array Jhamin's Avatar
    Credits

While I haven't initiated a new tournament in a while, the biggest problem was getting folks to sign up & then actually participate.

Credits

I don't claim to be in the know, I just want to give suggestions, so with that in mind:
    Maybe a new format needs to be introduced to either keep things fresh or help deal with the smaller number of participants. I'm not sure what that would be, but it might provide a solution to think about this. Though there are already things like newly hatched tournaments and the little leagues, it might be time to look further once more...

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Flareon's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

Well, the main issue I had with some of the tournaments (in particular October 2009's) was theme. (I only have one Ghost-type Pokemon trained y'see; the Froslass that Paiopa borrowed) Its fine having a tournament every month that has a set theme for people to follow, but I honestly think there should be other smaller tournaments for people to participate in that either don't have a really restrictive theme to it or are just general battles based on tier or other.

For example, in-game team tournaments; Pokemon you have that you've trained, but not to set specific EVs or to a certain degree, movesets. (its kind of why I have a few additional Pokemon to my team than one would usually have when progressing through the game; in the vain hope that something like this would take off) The great thing about it I feel is the fact that you really only need to have completed the game with a team of 6 Pokemon to qualify in having a team usable for such a thing and in all honesty, it wouldn't take you long to finish a Pokemon game to post-E4.

Naturally there'd be no Ubers and I'd be on the fence about Legendary Pokemon in general, since Pokemon like Regice could easily sneak in from over Generation III and likely make the battles horribly long... (even without EV training, Pokemon like Regice can be a pain to deal with) but it could be a far more entertaining tournament than to see your standards duking it out. It'd be pretty interesting to see what kind of Pokemon people have used to get themselves through the game(s)
    *shrugs*

Currently mass-breeding: Dream World Eevees (thank you, Japanese Pokemon White!)

Felix:
    Mostly: Double Battles // Tier Use: Mixed; uses favourites
    Fave Type: Water // Fave Pokémon: Vaporeon
    Dislikes: Sleepers and "THAT Pokémon..."

Credits

One of the formats that was also quite easy to get into, and which I'd like to see make a return is the 'Freshly Caught' tournament format; You will battle with a team of untrained, self-caught Pokémon (excluding legends and ubers, or even a tier exclusive tournament), and use WiFi flatbattles to level the playing field. This was such an interesting thing to me.

But yeah, just like you said Flareon, smaller Pokémon Tournaments held more frequently would certainly get more people into the whole tournament idea and then maybe motivate them to start participating more. Also, I think they should be promoted more by twitter, forum notifications (for instance by using the system currently used for the 'the time is one hour back' message) or maybe even main site featuring of new tournaments.

Credits
    Blog Entries

(I didn't remove that "time is one hour back" notice yet??? Whoops... xD *does so*)

I think the tournament you're referring to, Joeri, is "Wayne's Wild Tournament," hosted by FatherGoblin. I agree that I'd really like to see that one return, since I was really looking forward to it, but couldn't participate due to absence.

It may help, as well, that the Competitions section should be returning soon. I've been keeping tabs on the vBulletin modification, and it was upgraded last week so that it's compatible with the new version of vBulletin, so it should be back before long. Using Tweetboard to promote such events is also a good idea; I'll try to do some more updating in that section myself in the future, as well as PokeFarm's Facebook page, so thanks for the tip.

Oh; I should also mention that if you'd like to run your own smaller tournament, such as the in-game one you mentioned, Flareon, you are more than welcome to do so within the DS Tournaments subforum. ^_^

Credits

That was indeed Wayne's Wild Tournament.

Also, if any more hands are needed in (like, say) official tournament organisation, I'm open for such hullabaloo. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna organise a small tournament of my own as well... I'm all stoked and ridled with ideas because of this thread.

Credits

Tournament are always fun. I'm terrible at them (only won one battle ever) but they're still fun. Having to sort out times with people where you're both available. Such fun. But as Jhamin said, getting people actually battle is sometimes a nightmare, they seem to disappear for the time when the tournament is on...

But the themed tournaments were just something different, I enjoyed the Ghost one, not only because I finally won a battle but, because almost everyone was in the same boat. Trying to find 3 decent ghost pokemon, no-one had an advantage.