Thread: Okay, so maybe I'm just a moron

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Reptyler's Avatar
    Credits

Default Okay, so maybe I'm just a moron

I can't get my wireless to work on the DS. The family router is right by my computer, but it's encrypted in WPA instead of WEP, and the DS only knows how to accept WEP. Stupid Nintendo.

So, thinking that I'm smart, I buy a Nintendo WiFi USB connector. I connect the dongle to a USB port, and it turns my wired internet connection into a wireless connection that's guaranteed to work with the DS, right? Not quite. I installed the software, plugged in the dongle, and booted up the DS. Everything was working fine. The DS found the signal, and told me to confirm it on the screen. The computer knew that the DS was connecting to the signal, and I gave it permission to access the wireless signal. Then the DS says something like "Success! Now initiating a connection test..." and it times out and says it can't connect to the internet. What's going on here?

Every single time, it seems to work, up until the point where it does the second connection test. Am I too close to the router, and the WPA signal is interfering? I mean, I'm sitting at my computer desk, and the router is up against the wall behind the desk, and the USB dongle is about eight inches away from the DS, and it still fails the connection test. I can't figure it out. Until I do, I can only trade Pokemon at the local Barnes and Noble or the public library, which is both inconvenient and slightly embarrassing.

Tyler Silver FC: 0475 0139 9538 Diamond FC: 4941 5693 9105

Pokemon Trainer Student Array Matt42's Avatar
    Credits

I am not sure why it isnt working, but I would just suggest buying a Netgear router. I have not had any problem out of mine. But then again I am only 14 and you should probably wait for an older member to answer

Credits

I'm not going to bother with getting another router. I spoke with Dad about it, and he's perfectly capable of switching our signal to WEP, but he's not willing to sacrifice the security of a superior encryption protocol so that I can play my games. And I'm certainly not going to buy another router or pay for my own internet until I move out, which is probably in a year or two.

Retired Meadow Gym Leader Array run_bubba_run's Avatar
    Credits

Hey Reptyler. I was having similar issues with out router. I found that looking into the firewall on the router and disabling it ( My Kadabra did that) Jk) worked a treat. Try googling it if you dont have any success.
    [1:47:39 PM] [DRL]Jeff: wow u are so awesome and brutal XD

Pokemon League Judge Array HMTKSteve's Avatar
    Credits
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with RBR. Check firewall settings.

What sort of computer is your dongle plugged into? Is it a Windows box? Do you have the machine setup to enable Internet connection sharing?

Pokemon Trainer Array Pikadude609's Avatar
    Credits

Check connection and security settings. Maybe the connection is not getting passed to the NWA because of your Firewall. What OS are you running this on?

Ubuntu,OS X,XP,Vista,7?

Then we can look over firewall settings. And what anti-virus do you have

Credits

Way to go me, asking for help and then running off. Sorry about that.

Windows XP, doubt it's the firewall because I have Nintendo Wifi Adapter on the list of exceptions. I kind of doubt that McAfee is the problem either, but I have no clue how to work with it, mainly because it's never been an issue before.

Dad's the computer genius, I could ask him if the router settings are what's holding me back. I'm not quite sure how to fix those myself.

Credits

Quote Originally Posted by HMTKSteve View Post
    Do you have the machine setup to enable Internet connection sharing?
    Now I do. And now, I have working wifi. Just got done surfing the GTS. Success!