View RSS Feed

Lumps and Bumps in Stickytape Rolls

R u ok?

Rate this Entry
Today, in Aus, was "R U OK?" Day

Thursday 15 September, 2011 is R U OK?Day. It’s a national day of action which aims to prevent suicide by encouraging Australians to connect with someone they care about and help stop little problems turning into big ones.

On that day we want everyone across the country, from all backgrounds and walks of life, to ask family, friends and colleagues: "Are you OK?".

Staying connected with others is crucial to our general health and wellbeing. Feeling isolated or hopeless can contribute to depression and other mental illnesses, which can ultimately result in suicide. Regular, meaningful conversations can protect those we know and love.

It's so simple. In the time it takes to have a coffee, you can start a conversation that could change a life.
~-~

The theory behind this event is to ask a person how they are going, and actually mean it.

I do not think it should take a "theme day" to do this, but I can see why it might take one to get such a movement started.

Nobody asked me the titular question today, but people rarely seem to (this is an observation, not a request to be asked), and it is even more rare that the person asking actually wants an honest answer. I usually don't have an answer I can put to words, so I prefer it this way.

So, Am I Okay?

Overall, yes.

However, if you would like a more accurate answer, here is a brief list of things that bug me
  • When I crawl into bed to try to get some shut-eye and I can't shut my brain up, sometimes for hours
  • When I wake up after such a night, feeling as if I have not slept
  • When I can't remember where I put things
  • Washing clothes and dishes
  • When I put off (or forget) washing clothes and dishes, which makes the loads proportionately higher
  • When the weather outside can't decide what kind of day it wants to be
  • When I am hungry and can't decide what I want to eat
  • When I have so much work that I don't know what needs to be done first
  • When I have so little work that I can't figure out what I've forgotten to do

Thanks for your concern.

I am a lot happier when I get sleep; but I am a little silly sometimes, and don't always appreciate what a good nights' sleep does for my outlook - so even when I do get sleep, I still find something to complain about the next day.

Submit "R u ok?" to Digg Submit "R u ok?" to del.icio.us Submit "R u ok?" to StumbleUpon Submit "R u ok?" to Google

Categories
Serious Business

Comments

Glad to hear it Tani. I often times have trouble quieting my brain for sleep too. Music helps. So does meditation and relaxing YouTube videos Disclaimer: watch out for screamers.
    As for the weather. I live in a state called Ohio, we define undefined weather. (If you don't like the weather in Ohio wait five minutes.)
    Oh, and I have never even heard of this before.
    There might be an equivalent theme-day in the US; and I understand that weather comment fully; that quote applies to Melbourne too!

Thanks for the tips. I'm not very good at meditation; I distract myself too easily, and then I get frustrated because I feel tired and my brain won't let me sleep, and that does not help with the whole 'relaxation' thing ^_^'

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: