View RSS Feed

MissingNo.

Competitive Discussion: Hydreigon

Rate this Entry
A new blog series where you, most awesome PF member, get to discuss the future of competitive battling. Post below your responses to my listed opinions, and follow with your own opinions on the possibilities of the Pokemon in question.

Hydreigon

Dark/Dragon Tier: OU
Levitate
Hydreigon is immune to Ground-type moves. This Ability is disabled during the effects of Gravity, Ingrain, or while holding an Iron Ball; it is not disabled when using Roost.

HP: 92
Attack: 105
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 125
Special Defense: 90
Speed: 98

Overview
Hydreigon's total stat distribution hits 600, the highest a Pokemon has gone without being a Legendary, barring Slaking. This would usually put it on par with its Group 600 buddies would it not be for the way its speed was neglected. A 98 in Speed isn't going to allow Dreigon to outrun much of anything. The wonderful attack stats are left stranded with no viable way to increase them further, an Ability that is solely defensive, and no real power moves that won't leave a weakened worm in its place. A 92/90/90 defense and unique typing helps keep most everything at a 2hko max with some notable resistances, but leaves Dreigon often pulling toys out of the janitor's closet, he'll need that broom if he wants to do any sort of sweeping. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't absolutely shudder at the thought of Hydreigon being dropped in on your team, unannounced. A 125 Base Special Attack paired with STAB Draco Meteor should wet anyone's pants, the most powerful outside of Ubers. The fear instilled into the the hearts of your opposition opens up the world to Hydreigon.

Super Nuke - by Bobreeder & MissingNo.
Moveset
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Outrage/U-Turn
Focus Blast/Earth Power
Held Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Rash +Special Attack -Special Defense / Naive +Speed -Special Defense
EVs: 0/4/0/252/0/252

What Hydreigon lacks in its speed stat, it makes up for with a pretty little scarf which lets it outpace DD Kingdra after a boost. Draco Meteor is obviously the biggest nuke of the set here. The objective is to drop it and leave a massive crater in anything, most notably stall teams, and then run! Fire Blast deals massive damage to pesky steels. Outrage has a good chance to OHKO Blissey with or without SR; the former obviously gives you a better shot. However, U-Turn makes it easy to get any support in. U-Turn damage accumulates pretty quickly too. Focus Blast deals a quick OHKO to Empoleon with SR help, though if you're concerned with the accuracy, Earth Power is another choice. If you go for Earth Power over Focus Blast, choose the Naive nature as you won't be able to OHKO Empoleon with it anyhow. Stealth Rocks is obviously key to turning many 2HKOs into OHKOs, as well as 3s into 2s. You may be considering subbing a Choice Specs to increase that SpA, don't. With a 98 speed, you'll be looking at the mutilated remains of poor Dreigy before you know what's happened.

Mix Scarf - by meeker
Moveset
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Crunch
U-Turn
Nature: Naughty +Attack -Special Defense
EVs: 0/128/0/128/252

Steel types, generally holding some physical post, be it wall or tank, presenting a challenge as being the only type to resist the STAB Draco Meteor, may be countered with (More-than-likely) Fire Blast. For the physical half of the set, a STAB Crunch may suffice. As for the second, U-Turn fills the slot.

Submit "Competitive Discussion: Hydreigon" to Digg Submit "Competitive Discussion: Hydreigon" to del.icio.us Submit "Competitive Discussion: Hydreigon" to StumbleUpon Submit "Competitive Discussion: Hydreigon" to Google

Updated 05-08-2011 at 03:58 PM by MissingNo.

Categories
Competitive Discussion

Comments

I like the set you have there (obviously ), but I think that it is also viable to go with a weaker, faster version:

Choice Scarf
    Naive - 0/4/0/252/0/252
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast
    Earth Power
    U-Turn

This switches in, deals some damage if it can, else it switches with U-Turn. Useful for keeping momentum, while keeping a ridiculously strong Meteor, if not the wrecking ball from that last set. Earth Power over Focus Blast as hitting is more important, and you won't OHKO Empoleon with this one anyway. Requires team support if you want to get through the sturdiest walls, like Blissey, but U-Turn makes it easy to get this support in. U-Turn damage accumulates pretty quickly too.
    Updated 05-03-2011 at 06:39 PM by MissingNo.
    I'm quite sure that most sets will be running a choice scarf, as clearly demonstrated by your two's sets. However, I believe that with such a close SpA. and Att. people might be more willing to experiment with a 2:2 dual physical-special sweeper, rather than a 3:1 sweeper. I do believe that most sets will include the special Dragon type STAB Draco Meteor for sheer strength combined with the greater of the two attack stats. Steel types, generally holding some physical post, be it wall or tank, presenting a challenge as being the only type to resist the STAB Draco Meteor, may be countered with (More-than-likely) Fire Blast. For the physical half of the set, a STAB Crunch may suffice. As for the second, U-Turn fills the slot.
    An idea occurred to me while I was typing this. This pokemon may be subject to agility baton-passing to prevent the loss of both an item and the ability to use other moves. Should this be the case, users may find themselves picking either EQ or Stone Edge as their final physical slot.

1. Mix Scarf
    Moveset
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast
    Crunch
    U-Turn
    Nature: Naughty +Att -SpD (As OU tier pokes' Att. can go up to 135, as OU tier pokes' SpA can only go up to 130)

2. Subject to Agil-pass
    Moveset
    Draco Meteor
    Fire Blast
    Crunch
    EQ/Stone Edge
    Held Item: Life Orb
    Nature: Naughty +Att -SpD (As OU tier pokes' Att. can go up to 135, as OU tier pokes' SpA can only go up to 130)

I am aware that as I am not a hard hitting trainer, my ideas may have many flaws to them that others may notice. All of these explanations per. to my errors are welcome.
    For the one that's supposed to get an Agility pass, you want it to stay around for a while. Therefore, I think Dragon Pulse should at least be listed as an option in the first slot. First set looks good.
    I love the 125 SpAtt, but hate the fact that it's relegated to using Scarf. The other issue I've seen with Hydreigon is that it's weak to Mach Punch, which is crippling in and of itself with Conkledurr around. More so when Technician Breloom and Iron Fist Infernape become available (if they're not already).
    All the more reason to run U-Turn on the Scarf sets.
    @Belnum, would love to see any set ideas you would have to combat his counters.
    He doesn't really have a hard counter, between Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and other superb coverage moves, anything switching in will be in pain.

On that note, the best thing you can do when facing a potential Mach Puncher (or faster fighting move) is either predict a set up move, or switch to something compliments Hydra, maybe partner it up with Poison Heal Gliscor.

I really like the SuperNuke set, but Focus Blast's Accuracy scares me. I'd probably run Earth Power or Surf for Heatran instead (for Non PF battles). Not sure what Hydra's Outrage would do to Blissey though, is there a Gen 5 calc out yet?
    Gen V uses the same algorithm as Gen IV according to all sources I've seen, so I just plugged in the stats and ran the calcs. I don't remember what sort of Blissey is OHKOd with Outrage and Rocks (bold/calm), but it's safe to say it'll be 2HKOd at the very least.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: