View RSS Feed

On the back of a Wailmer

Roguelike plot

Rate this Entry
Besides homework, my main project right now is writing a roguelike (I have most of the engine up and running, but still needs a lot of work). Now what I haven't got at all is a good plot of some sort. That's where I'd like some help. The basic premise is:
1) Middle-age Swords and Sorcery setting
2) There are procedurally generated dungeons the player navigates in search of treasure and stuff, but also a pretty large overworld (most of which will be generated as well)
3) "Permadeath" will most likely be present, which means that when you die, you can't reload an old savegame for that character. Might add some resurrection through god belief or something.
4) 2d game using ASCII characters instead of tiles. This is due to my complete lack of graphical skills, and it's a lot easier to program.

If anyone has a plot they've wanted to see in a game, please share!

Submit "Roguelike plot" to Digg Submit "Roguelike plot" to del.icio.us Submit "Roguelike plot" to StumbleUpon Submit "Roguelike plot" to Google

Updated 03-08-2011 at 10:42 AM by Bobreeder

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think there should be an evil man named Cal Joones!
    Caljoones the Necromancer, sounds good
    Necromancer? and are you serious?
    I'm just kidding, but I'll need a name for my different characters. I might just make them randomly though
    How about There is a very mysterious person who barely tells you anything, yet assumes that you understand? Kinda Like N?
    I love games where I'm free to be a selfish jerk as the main character. There aren't very many games that do this well though. Usually it's handled like fable or KOTOR where you're basically on the same track as a baby-killer. I'd be interested in seeing your Roguelike when it's done. What's the other game you made?
    I haven't really finished any other games before, some minor scripting is basically it. I really want to handle different playstyles right, and I agree that there should be different levels to everything (YOU STOLE AN APPLE I KILL YOU!!!!) And I'll post it here assuming I manage to finish it, at least when I get it to a playable, fun, stage. I've managed to make a save system and I'm almost finished implementing "data files" (a way to add new monsters and items without having to code it all).
    Wiil we be able to get this game in any way when its done? Like buying it? Or you giving it away?
    I'm giving it away Open Source. That's the plan anyway. I'm doing this for fun and challenge, not to earn money I'm currently struggling with how I'm gonna implement special effects from magic and such, and I have a lot of schoolwork to do, so it will probably not be released for a while
    Ok. I know someone who is pretty good at coming up with plots, so Ill talk to him.
    Ive got nothin
    Thanks for trying anyway
    have you been working on this? Just woderin. Im kinda looking forward to it.
    I'm still working on it, don't worry. I've not been able to do much computer work lately because I live on a boat with an eternal struggle for electricity (<.<), but it'll probably pick up during the summer if not before!
    you live on a BOAT?!? (or is that a joke) XD
    It's all true, honest. Check my blog from the beginning to get to know why
    IS THIS DONE?
    Updated 12-06-2011 at 12:07 PM by Deneves

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: