View RSS Feed

The Blog of Many Melodies

What's goin' on

Rate this Entry
It's been a busy couple of weeks for me.

First, almost two weeks ago now, I finished high school and graduated. It's hard to believe, but I'm done with high school! I was one of our school's fifteen valedictorians, so I was able to speak at commencement, which went well. I also played a solo at our Honors Convocation (where all of the seniors get their awards). Next step: college. I'm going to orientation on Monday and Tuesday to schedule my classes and get more information on starting in the fall. I move in on August 29.

Since graduation, we had to get ready for Adam's and my open house, which was this past Saturday. As the Picture Gallery and Jesse's blog have explained, Jesse (MissingNo.) and Kate (Taterbud) came to visit, as well. It was fun to meet them in person and also hang out with some of our friends and relatives (and we got money--that's always nice! haha).

I've also been finishing up my Eagle Scout requirements. The biggest portion of earning the rank is in the service/leadership project. I was originally doing landscaping for the American Cancer Society, but the office moved north and I lost the opportunity to help there. As time began to run out, I found a project through a non-profit organization called the Fitness Council. For my project, the Scouts, other volunteers, and I removed a large pile of recovered bikes from the local police department, repaired them, and donated them to the Fitness Council for them to donate through their Community Bikes program. I ended up collecting 133 bikes, 77 of which went back to the Fitness Council for them to finish refurbishing and then donate. All of my paperwork is now in (one week before I turn 18--I cut it close, but made it!), and my final Board of Review (where a committee reviews my work, character, etc. and then hopefully grants the Eagle rank to me) is scheduled for July 12.

The biggest news for me right now is what's coming up in the next week or so. This Friday, I'm going up to Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp for Intensive Week, in preparation to travel to Europe again with the International Jazz Ensemble. This time, I'm playing bass trombone instead of lead, but that certainly won't make it any less fun. I'm also excited because last time (in 2008 ), we only went to France. For this trip, we're going to Germany, Denmark, Sweden (while we're there, there'll be 18 hours of sunlight every day!), and Luxembourg. I leave on the 18th and come back on July 10. Check back here and I'll try to post some updates every so often! I'll also post to my Facebook profile if you'd like to check there.

I hope everyone's summer is off to a good start (and if it hasn't started yet, that it does soon)! ^_^

P.S. Look for the Zeppelin Gym Festival to happen in late July.

Submit "What's goin' on" to Digg Submit "What's goin' on" to del.icio.us Submit "What's goin' on" to StumbleUpon Submit "What's goin' on" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats on graduating!!! And your trip sounds amazing, wow!

But... How does a school have 15 valedictorians?? You each made a perfect 4.0 and took the exact same number of AP/advanced courses??
    Thanks! ^_^

Out of our 369 graduates, 15 of us had 4.0s. They don't weigh AP classes, ACT scores, etc. in that (yeah, I know not everyone cares for that way of doing it :P).
    I'm confused- Valedictorians are the ones with the highest averages? I'm pretty sure that we elect ours at my school. And how are your averages calculated?

Anyways, it sounds like your commencement must've been pretty long.
    Good job with the Eagle Scout Project, and have tons of fun in Europe!
    You elect them??? Crazy... Our valedictorians are decided purely upon grade point average. Since our class has so many graduates, you basically have to get a 4.0, which is all As (A-minus included). Technically, you could take four years of blow-off classes (although you'd still have to meet graduation requirements) and do it, but I think anyone who would think about doing so would be too lazy to follow through with it, anyway.

Commencement was rather long; close to two-and-a-half hours after 14 valedictorian speeches (one declined the offer to speak), our class president's speech, our principal's speech, and then receiving diplomas (or rather, empty diploma folders-or-whatever-you-call-them xD; we didn't get our physical diplomas until we turned in our gowns at the end).

Thanks--I'm sure I will have fun! xD
    Meh, I'd rather elect one really good speaker than have 13 decent speeches, plus your amazing one, to sit through.

So you don't get percentage grades throughout the year? I guess that makes more sense; I was picturing 15 people with straight 100%.
    That's a good point--would certainly make the ceremony shorter...
    (Mine wasn't amazing, but I really liked it--it was basically an extended metaphor for music = life, haha. My favorite one had to do with cereal, written by one of the smartest and nicest girls I know. ^_^)

We get percentage grades, but anything in an A range is a 4.0 (which is generally 90%-100%).
    Dang, I've never heard of that. I've always seen it be done very picky - 4.0 (or 5.0 if on a 5 point scale) can only be achieved if you make all 100s in every class, and AP/Advanced courses were worth.

That's still awesome you managed a 4.0 though! Mad props to ya.
    ^AP/Advanced courses were worth more. Not just worth...
    I thought valedictorians were like highlanders? There can be only one! Seems like it lessesns the value of it.

Any chance of being near Columbus at the end of the month?
    I thought valedictorians were like highlanders? There can be only one! Seems like it lessens the value of it.

Any chance of being near Columbus at the end of the month?
    @Kay: There have been discussions of the lack of much competition in the valedictorian status at our school, but it hasn't been changed.
    @Steve: That's also been mentioned (that it lessens the value of being one). For what it's worth, my ACT score and AP classes put my rank in the top three, I think (I had the second?-highest ACT score in the class).
    If you're referring to Columbus, Ohio...then no, since I'll be in Europe then, haha.
    So who gets the salutatorian spot?
    They only designate a salutatorian when there's only one valedictorian, which is likely almost never.

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: