View RSS Feed

☻Cats gone wild☻

Voting ~ Story Two

Rate this Entry
Voting ~ Story Two

I was woken by the sound of cursing- heavy, drunken stuff. With a groan, I pulled myself out of bed and slammed the windows shut.

“Stupid Chatot,” I muttered under my breath. At least it had woken me up on time.

As I started to get dressed I could hear the bird cussing up a storm outside my window, wanting to get out of the rain. I yanked on a pair of clean jeans and opened the windows again.

“Alright, you stupid Chatot, I’ll let you in. But no swearing around the little ones, Ok?”

All I got in response was more swearing.

“Sheesh, you need to spend less time outside of bars.”

“Little ones outside of bars, Chatot.”

I sincerely hoped that not all Pokémon were this idiotic.

It was my big day. It was the first time that I had stayed in one town long enough to be eligible for a starter. (I had turned 10 while my family was on the road-it’s a long story. Let’s just say that my town had ended up razed to the ground in the middle of a war, and it had taken my family 4 years to re-locate). Most kids my age would be heading straight to the town square, to go and watch the younger kids make their appeal for a Pokémon. Most of the working class, younger kids, that is. The rich classes usually had a trainer or two in the family, so their children were raised with (and often by) Pokémon. They got their licenses whenever they wanted them. We poor people had to try our luck with the Profs.

I was ready to get a Pokémon. I wanted to get rich and have adventures, and the easiest way to do that was to become a trainer. I’d get my starter, go off on a grand adventure, and then after a few years I’d settle down and become a gym leader. None of that travel-the-world-become-a-champion-four-times-over stuff like Ash Ketchum was doing. It was cute the first few times, but then he just got too old, you know? He was still out there, “trying to be the very best”, but in all honesty most people had given up on him. I wasn’t going to make that mistake. A couple years on the road, and then a nice cushy gym leader job. I’d make enough money to put my sisters through school, so that they wouldn’t end up in the poverty cycle for life, either.

“Minnie!” My mom screamed from the foot of the stairs.

“What?!?”

“Just wanted to make sure you were awake. You don’t want to be late for your interview!” My mom thought that I was going out to get a job at the local PokéBall plant.

“Yeah, yeah.” I grumbled. Get a job; find a husband, pop out a couple of kids, and your life was complete. Well, I wanted more.

I squared my shoulders and ran down the stairs and out the door to join the growing throng of people outside.
~~~
“Minnie! Why do you think you should be our town’s next trainer?”

I took a deep breath and stepped forward.

“I don’t want to end up like my parents. I want to do something with my life, and getting a Pokémon seems to be the only way to do that. I want to be a trainer, and I think you should give me a starter.”

The professor looked and me for a couple moments before saying “next”. When he saw my expression he stopped to explain.

“Pokémon are not to be used to help you. You are supposed to work with them to help others.”

I dropped my gaze and turned to leave, but stopped when I heard the next candidate start her plea.

“Four years ago, war broke out between our country and one of our neighbours. Thousands of our people were displaced from their homes as their villages were burned.”

I smiled bitterly at that.

“I was one of those people. My village was the nameless one.”

The crowed gasped at that. The nameless village had been right in the middle of the war, and when its residents had been ordered to pick a side they had refused. Our country had sent in our legendaries to deal with them, and they had obliterated the town, both physically and from people’s minds. It had been assumed that no one survived…

“I’ve been living in the Pokémon League castle. The elite four took me in after my family died. I’ve been living with them and their Pokémon, and now I want one of my own. Pokémon should never have been involved in that war. I want to be a trainer so that I can stop things like that from ever happening again.”

As she finished people started to clap. I turned and started trudging away, not wanting to see which starter she chose.

~~~

I could hear fast paced footsteps behind me, so I moved over to let whoever it was pass. To my surprise, they slowed down and started talking to me.

“Minnie! Wait up!”

I turned to see the girl from earlier behind me, a Torchic beside her.

“Oh. Congrats on the starter. Torchic, huh?” I said, trying to be polite.

“Hmm? Oh, yes. I felt that the fire/fighting typing represented my past pretty well.” She glanced down at the little chic beside her. “I still haven’t chosen a name for him yet, though. Mine’s Hannah.”

“That’s great. Well, I hope you guys are happy and win lots of gym badges and everything.” I turned to leave.

“What? I’m not using my started in my team. The rain E4 member retired and gave me all of his Pokémon. But I’ll still travel everywhere with Torchic.” She stated in a matter of fact way.

“You have an E4 team?” I asked in awe.

“Yup. But that’s not why I’m here. I have to choose two people to come with my on my journey. I read your profile. I want you to travel with me.”

“Me?” It didn’t seem like it was possible.

“Yes. You’ve lost your home too. You seem like the kind of person that would understand why I’m doing this. And the entrance essay that you wrote was amazing. Why didn’t you say any of the stuff about breaking the poverty cycle when you were in front of the crowd?”

“I’m not the best in front of crowds. But seriously, you want me to come with you?”

She stared at me.

“Yes.”

And so my Pokémon adventure began.

~~~

If you vote for this story please comment below. Comments will be moderated. You can not vote for your self.

Submit "Voting ~ Story Two" to Digg Submit "Voting ~ Story Two" to del.icio.us Submit "Voting ~ Story Two" to StumbleUpon Submit "Voting ~ Story Two" to Google

Updated 01-11-2010 at 08:31 PM by becnoir

Categories
pokemon , Blog Contests

Comments

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: